2 Best dive sites near Tokyo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could pop down to Okinawa while you are here, 2.5 hour from from Tokyo. There conditions should be 30m + viz and 23/24 degrees water temp.

We would be more than happy to show you some great dives down this way in April. Water temp is now 70F or so and climbing by late April should be up a few degrees.

You mentioned that you only have a morning and and evening to dive while you're here. Realistically from Tokyo you need at least one full day to make it worthwhile.

To get to anywhere that's worth diving, the closest place is Atami, just on the north-east corner of the Izu peninsula. You can get there by Shinkansen (Bullet Train) from Tokyo in about an hour and a half. If you planned carefully, you could leave Tokyo first thing in the morning, get out to Atami, get two boat dives in and get back into Tokyo for maybe 6pm.

There are closer places (like Enoshima) but they're inside the Tokyo bay, and really is not worth bringing your gear over for. Also, you'd need to take local trains, so your travel time might end up being the same anyway (although cheaper)

What are the dates that you're going to be here?

If you have 2-3 days then the possibilities open up quite a lot. There are many locations on the Izu peninsula (Tago, Mera, IOP, Kumomi, etc), or as suggested, if you can get down to Okinawa, the conditions would be much nicer.

A good web-site to check out is Padi Japan, they list links to dive spots all over the country which usually list conditions at the local dive sites.

We would be more than happy to show you some great dives down this way in April. Water temp is now 70F or so and climbing by late April should be up a few degrees.

Will look you guys up and email

You mentioned that you only have a morning and and evening to dive while you're here. Realistically from Tokyo you need at least one full day to make it worthwhile.

To get to anywhere that's worth diving, the closest place is Atami, just on the north-east corner of the Izu peninsula. You can get there by Shinkansen (Bullet Train) from Tokyo in about an hour and a half. If you planned carefully, you could leave Tokyo first thing in the morning, get out to Atami, get two boat dives in and get back into Tokyo for maybe 6pm.

There are closer places (like Enoshima) but they're inside the Tokyo bay, and really is not worth bringing your gear over for. Also, you'd need to take local trains, so your travel time might end up being the same anyway (although cheaper)

What are the dates that you're going to be here?

If you have 2-3 days then the possibilities open up quite a lot. There are many locations on the Izu peninsula (Tago, Mera, IOP, Kumomi, etc), or as suggested, if you can get down to Okinawa, the conditions would be much nicer.

A good web-site to check out is Padi Japan, they list links to dive spots all over the country which usually list conditions at the local dive sites.

I do have more then a day but I just want to give 24hours+ before I fly back to be careful....thanks for all the info I Will google these places as well

You could pop down to Okinawa while you are here, 2.5 hour from from Tokyo. There conditions should be 30m + viz and 23/24 degrees water temp.

Geoff,

I was doing some research and apparently there is no direct train to get to okinawa...I have to go to hakata and then take multiple trains to get there...I have been told...do you know if there is a direct bullet train to Okinawa..heard that is the best diving :confused:

I was doing some research and apparently there is no direct train to get to okinawa...I have to go to hakata and then take multiple trains to get there...I have been told...do you know if there is a direct bullet train to Okinawa..heard that is the best diving :confused:

No, since it's an island I don't think there is a direct train! I was talking about a flight, 2.5 hours from Tokyo - 135 USD each way no Skymark at current prices.

You can check it out here, the route needed is Haneda>Naha (Tokyo>Okinawa) and then Naha>Haneda to get back.

SKYMARK WEB SERVICE

If you don't want to fly, then the best option is sushimassa's suggestion - the Izu penisular, which is easily accessible by train (1 hour to the closest point [Atami], 3 hours to the bottom [Shimoda]) and car (3-4 hours typically) from Tokyo.

I guess you could head all the way down to the south of Japan on trains but that would either many many hours of travelling or be very expensive on the bullet trains.

Yep, Geoff is right.. From Tokyo its an airflight to Okinawa... or to Izu by train or car...
Okinawa is nice and warm.... still chilly in Izu, but nice.

If you are looking at a map, look south of Mt. Fuji to find IZU. To find Okinawa look way way south to those pretty islands at the bottom of the page !

Hayama! Close to Enoshima... Get your surf on too!

You should try to get with some of the guys at Yokosuka Naval Base, they should be able to hook you up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom