2 day ow certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ocean capable people with a modicum of brain movement and fitness
certainly coupled with SO curricular activities and dive basics method
surely is all that is required by those that desire to become proficient
in diving

Hauling one out a day keeps the helicopters at bay:idk:halemanos sig

Personally I just can't see where most people can absorb that much material & master the necessary skills to the point of being absolutely comfortable with them in that short a period of time. I will not say there aren't some who can do it,.... But I would think they would be few & far between. Most people need time in between to absorb the information they've been given or else a lot of it is forgotten in a very short period of time. Just my opinion though....

Completely agree. I personally found the 3 week + checkouts night OW course just right for absorbing, though I'm sure many can do OK with the 2 weekends course. As Halemano says, it's not a 2 day course for the whole thing, as the checkout dives would usually be a 2nd weekend. But either way, a 2 day OR 2 weekend course is not my cup of tea.

Yes I did mean to say OW. The question I have is it real or some other type of program.
She has gone through the "resort" dive before and did go through the pool portion of the OW course, but had a family issue that prevented her from completing the course. That was 2 years ago, now she wants to try again, but can't afford to take to many weekends off. She is an MT and has these crazy work schedules.

To answer your question with fact:

The certification MAY be an actual "Open Water Diver" certification. A significant difference in the standards is whether or not the Open Water Dives are done in 1 day or 2. To be an "Open Water Diver" certification, the minimum standard is to do at least 4 dives over at least 2 days. So, she can not be issued an "Open Water Diver" certification if she does 4 dives in 1 day... Or any number of dives in 1 day. No more than 3 dives may be conducted in 1 day. And "Confined Water Training" does NOT count toward the dives.

The "SCUBA Diver" certification is NOT equal to an "Open Water Diver" certification. To the best of my knowledge (I don't/won't do them), those are issued after only 1 day of diving and less coursework.

It is conceivable, and Halemano, despite his personal attacks on me, verifies it, that one could do all the academics, pool/confined water work, and open water dives in two days. The way a 2-day course might work is that she does all the academics and pool/confined water work, along with 1 Open Water Dive on day #1, and then 3 Open Water Dives on day #2.

Now, for my opinion (you've read the rest of your posts thread I'm sure):

Generally one gets out of an Open Water Diver course what they put into it for time and effort. I have personally dived with maybe 10 people that have taken 2 day courses and I've felt none were adequately prepared to be in the water without a dive professional... which is the intent of an "Open Water Diver" course. My dives with these certified, Open Water Divers, have been in both warm and cold water and I've seen them stand on and bounce off of reefs, stir up ungodly amounts of silt and sand, and completely lose it and shoot for the surface... all because they had poor buoyancy skills, which is the hardest of skills to master. Clearly, there are Instructors that feel differently.

While your wife may be comfortable in the water, and has had some prior training, none of that can prepare her for what to expect in the open water. And none of that can prevent her from getting stuck in a 2-day group course with a handful of other people who may or may not slow the class down. It's obvious your gut tells you this too. Maybe have her do a private referral. Yes, it's more money, but the Instructor can train her to meet her needs, on her schedule, in your home town. She can then just concentrate on the Open Water Dives on your Florida vacation.

If she puts similar focus to the course that she does to the rest of her life I give her even odds at completion in 2 days. :D

"PADI Two (2) Day and Weekend Open Water Scuba Diver Courses
Course Overview
Academic and Diving Theory is at home via interactive DVD/CD or eLearning online training (computer required). Eight to Twelve hours are required completing the academics.
• Confined Open Water and Open Water Sessions on Day One and Two
• Additional training and fees may be required after day Two.
• Once the course completed Open Water Certification is awarded. Additional Open Water Certification Cards available for each agency we teach."

From what I am reading this sounds like a 2 day certification course to me!!!

scubatampa.com:
Course Overview
Academic and Diving Theory is at home via interactive DVD/CD or eLearning online training (computer required). Eight to Twelve hours are required completing the academics.

Confined Open Water and Open Water Sessions on Day One and Two
Additional training and fees may be required after day Two.
Once the course completed Open Water Certification is awarded. Additional Open Water Certification Cards available for each agency we teach.

Additional Training:
General conditions

1. By its nature, a two/three day diving course is more complex than a regular two week course. One major difference is that there is NO guarantee that you will pass the course you are signing up for in the time prescribed for the course. Paying your course fees DOES NOT automatically mean you will pass.

To answer your question with fact:

The certification MAY be an actual "Open Water Diver" certification. A significant difference in the standards is whether or not the Open Water Dives are done in 1 day or 2. To be an "Open Water Diver" certification, the minimum standard is to do at least 4 dives over at least 2 days. So, she can not be issued an "Open Water Diver" certification if she does 4 dives in 1 day... Or any number of dives in 1 day. No more than 3 dives may be conducted in 1 day. And "Confined Water Training" does NOT count toward the dives.

The "SCUBA Diver" certification is NOT equal to an "Open Water Diver" certification. To the best of my knowledge (I don't/won't do them), those are issued after only 1 day of diving and less coursework.

It is conceivable, and Halemano, despite his personal attacks on me, verifies it, that one could do all the academics, pool/confined water work, and open water dives in two days. The way a 2-day course might work is that she does all the academics and pool/confined water work, along with 1 Open Water Dive on day #1, and then 3 Open Water Dives on day #2.

It is conceivable that you do not perceive exactly what I am attacking. It is your sloppy ignorant typing regarding what you know as fact, what you type as fact and what is actually fact.

To clear up one of YOUR typed facts; you may be typing factually with regards to SSI Standards but you are not typing facts with regards to every agency's Standards.

PADI:
Student divers may participate
in a maximum of three
open water scuba dives in a
single day.
These dives may be
a combination of required training
dives and additional excursion
dives. The following requirements
apply:
• If student divers participate in confined water training that day, they
may complete no more than two open water dives
• Prior to the completion of Dive 3, the maximum planned depth for an
excursion dive is 12 metres/40 feet.
• The maximum depth for the third dive of the day is 12 metres/40 feet.

If you had chosen to "qualify" your statement with the words "SSI Standards state..." then your typing would not have been sloppy, ignorant and not a fact.

And just to better your knowledge, Scuba Diver could be issued after months of "mostly successful" dive training and all the Academics, not just "after only 1 day of diving and less coursework."

I have personally dived with maybe 10 people that have taken 2 day courses and I've felt none were adequately prepared to be in the water without a dive professional... which is the intent of an "Open Water Diver" course.

So, how do you know these bad divers really were certified as Open Water Divers in just 2 days with dive instructors (&/or Dive Cons)? If they told you verbally, did you ever consider the FACT that people often don't speak (or type) accurately?

Here is a recent thread, where the thread title and OP are not typed well...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...81721-ow-weekend-class-complete-overview.html

I went to a very reputable shop in our area that had loads of options for ways to complete your OW class. I opted for the 1 weekend class - all day Saturday and all day Sunday (8am - 4pm).

And for those with permission, here is an I2I conversation...

Last point, just a gut feeling, but someone has posted about the 2 day classes. It would be my opinion based on other courses I had taught and taken, that an immersion class like that would actually be easier than a class where a mod at a time is done over several days or weeks. I took Rescue that way and it changed how I looked at pools and dive sites, because for 2 1/2 days I was totally immersed in safety issues, and doing it the right way.

I just completed a 2 day course. That's 5 pool modules over 2 days, 4 hours of time on scuba (not including swim, tread, skin diving & pool deck time)

I am glad that you have seen just how well immersion can work. It's extremely effectively at training students in whatever behavior you want. Too many instructors who teach long courses assume that something has to be left out to teach diving in two days of water work, but they are forgetting the value of intensity, and closely spaced repetition.

OK, we are picking nits now; time to move to something else - in my case a 2 day course is Sat/Sun, class and pool only; OW is another 2 days, albeit shorter days

2 days of water work is my two days. eLearning, or classroom are done however, but the two days of water work.

Just like the typical rescue class, or advanced class. Meet to do classrom, or check eLearning or do organizational stuff, then 2 days of waterwork.

All of the confined and two dives one day, two dives the next. Or split the confined, with two dives each day.

These are PADI Instructors and they do not use the term "2-day course" the same as each other, or the same as I use the term "2-day course." That's four different definitions of "2-day course" by 4 different PADI Instructors; why would one assume OW divers use the "2-day course" term any more accurately than dive instructors?

Without links and Student Folders I'll continue to call it at best, marketing / hearsay, not fact, so the only way to type it accurately is something like.....

"I have dived with 10-ish certified divers who claimed their OW course was 2 days, and their lack of skills underwater caused me to believe they could be telling the truth." :idk:

Last edited:
At the request of a similarly minded good friend of mine
I embed thee, I embed thee, I embed thee, I embed thee

[video=youtube;RPGYpWUmTvY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RPGYpWUmTvY[/video]

and from this, what I am able to garner is that this is the
prerequisite to diving that I want to be involved with you
sea, because post course will be time to begin real diving

With perfect posture method and trim, is someone I want to dive with
and if you do skills on your knees in my class check first for sharp bits

So back to specifics or more importantly, the importance as an instructor
of being specific, in their instruction, a funny moment when a rebreather
dude gave me one and said this and this and that which could have quite
easily, have caused me an overexpansion injury, had I not known, better
and was experienced enough, to know what was going on and prevent it
when the instructor dude should have said, this, that, this, but I suppose
he was tired and considering it happened about 12 years ago attempting
to remember is beginning to wear me out and make me tired too :idk: halemanos sig

Page one more to come
We are all on the same
Huh!

halemano:
"I have dived with 10-ish certified divers who claimed their OW course was 2 days, and their lack of skills underwater caused me to believe they could be telling the truth."

Works for me.

If the student thought they only got two days, that's probably really all they got, no matter how the instructor justifies it to PADI.

flots.

This is the course i am refering to. From what i have read, it is legit and in fact can be done. I am now even more leary about this than i was before. I think i am going to try and convince her to take the pool work here and a referal check out dive down there.

PADI Two (2) Day Weekend Open Water Scuba Diver Courses, Lessons and Classes Tampa Florida (Fla)

Although the academic sessions are important, it is in the pool where divers are "born" & start to grow. IMO, the more pool time, the more skills can be practiced, perfected & the more comfortable overall the diver will be.

From what i have read, it is legit and in fact can be done. I am now even more leary about this than i was before.

"Can be done" and "legit" from who's perspective? Maybe the instructor can "check all the boxes" but I've never met a non-diver that was ready for OW in two days.

In that time, all I'll have done is gear fitting, snorkeling, equipment assembly, mask & snorkel clearing, and some basic skills in the shallow end of the pool.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom