2 or 3 gas computer, looking for recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, being able to throw any AA battery in it is a big advantage of the Petrel, they are available everywhere...

But both fine computers from an excellent company with good support.

So it seems that there isn't a clear answer for this? LOL I guess I need to find a Petrel! I hate the way they look, but it's about function, not looks.

So it seems that there isn't a clear answer for this? LOL I guess I need to find a Petrel! I hate the way they look, but it's about function, not looks.

Maybe you should consider the new Aeris…it'a got a shiny bling ring that might look better :wink:

fire-diver

Dont get disgruntled about computers. What is important is that you have a computer that you can work. That means it has buttons you can operate with gloves on ect. a menue system you dont need a book for ect. For your initial post the petrel is not what you are looking for because on no AI. You will find out that AI is a not very important option. All things happen in time, and no one on SB can rush thta for you. The petrel and predator is more computer than 99% could ever use. It works darn good especially in those areas that the rec diver uses. Large display for failing eye sight and an intuitive menue system to boot. The drawbacks its not a 299.95 item. you can get them like stated for 5-600. This is a computer that will last a lifetime for you. You already know i am pro shearwater, but put that aside. When software updates come out teh upgrades are easy with the bluetooth comms. No cables to loose. You can custom design the display for your taste. Other makers have those capabilities so go for the capabilities and not a name. Set your goal to buy right the first time not the 5th time. BTW if you look on the wrists of many notable divers you will find a shearwater or a prodict from one of a very small list of makers. No matter how shiny it is if you cant get the info you want you have nothing.

I appreciate all the helpful responses! I am not into AI as I don't like my computer tethered to my regs. I have always feared the gremlins in the wireless tech and will probably never trust it.

Yes, this is more computer than I need, but it is definitely something I wouldn't be out-growing. I'm all for finding good prices, but so far I have only seen about $850 for the SA Petrel. Can anyone PM me a contact or link for a cheaper source?

Well, if you were satisfied with your NItek Duo (I've a Trio myself), you should try to get an Apeks Quantum (basically it's the same as your Duo, designed by Seiko, but sold under a different brand). I'm not sure if it's still sold by Apeks, but I've seen quite quite a lot of them, brand new, on the wrist of diving buddies (in France and Italy). Google should be your friend.

I've nothing against Shearwater computers, except the price, too expensive for me :depressed:, but if you just want to dive on air + nitrox deco, it's a bit too much in my humble opinion.

I have looked at the quantums, I remember them being the exact same with different badging. I can't find anyone in the states selling them, but have looked at a couple European websites.

What I loved about this is computer was that is was perfect for my current level with backgas and a single deco gas up to 100%, easy to read, and I had the download cable. The trio would have been better for 2 decos in the future. I never could find out why everyone quit selling them. DiveRite, Zeagle, I think Cressi all sold them.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to deal with Europe to stay with what I have or spend a few bucks and buy something with more possibilities.

II never could find out why everyone quit selling them. DiveRite, Zeagle, I think Cressi all sold them.

You're right, it was sold under the 3 brands. As far as I know, the Cressi version was known to be not so reliable in the long run, depending on the batch it came from.

Concerning the Trio, you've got also :

- Electronic Compass,
- Deepstop (Pyle stop style)

I'm not sure, but I think that the PpO2 setting is different as well.

And the Trio resets to air after every dive. Bad policy.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

And the Trio resets to air after every dive. Bad policy.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

I would say it compells you to check if your computer is set according to your mix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom