2 questions. 1. Cont. ed 2. Dive tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to Echo the thought by TandSM "what do you want to GET out of continuing education?"
Then talk to your local instructors about your goals etc... They should be able to help you make informed decisions about which way to go. I wouldn't focus on the 3 (or 4) letter acronym agency that they are affiliated with.

Its the instructor not the agency. But it boils down to methodology I like PADI in that, I like the progression and the keep them diving. I believe in a student progressing under a instructor's eye come out way better than, "heres your card come back and see me sometime".

I know you'll hear all they want is money. If that was true we'd never teach diving.

I don't care who agrees with me but I don't consider a diver a "diver" to they reach dive master are master scuba diver level. Look at one. See anything? Like confidence, ease in the water, etc. thats why I believe in continuing education. I tell students a open water cert is a license to learn.

As for tables I really never knew there was a diff. The old tables (60 for 60 ones) didn't have any differences. Like someone said above, pick the tables your instructor uses.

Yes get your lady into class its a lot better sharing something so cool and incredible with someone thats close to you. Good luck and welcome.

There's a fellow who I believe is in CT who is teaching what sounds like a fantastic buoyancy class, but that's a long way from you, too.

Who is the guy in CT that you are referring to?

Probably Ed Hayes, one of the owners of The Scuba Shack, just south of Hartford. The class is very good--I'm looking forward to Buoyancy 2. Ed's a GUE instructor, and the two classes cover many of the skills required in DIR-F, but at a more relaxed pace.

Yes, Ed Hayes is who I meant.

How about Dive tables. My cert. is NAUI and I dive with mostly PADI cert. divers. I noticed some differences in both tables while reviewing my skills today. Then I noticed that SSI uses the same table as NAUI however one can understand SSI tables better then the NAUI one.

Anyways whats the best to use? Whats the safest?
Others have answered the agency/instructor questions, my comments are on the tables. As long as you have learned to properly use the table or dive computer or other decompression tracking method, it really doesn't matter, outside of class, which table or method you use. Newer divers are often limited more by air than by NDL limits. If you are doing >80' dives or dives where much of the time is spent at depths much shallower than the deepest depth, then the tables may start to be the limiting factor. Repetitive dives will also often cause the tables to be the limiting factor, particularly when using the USN/NAUI/YMCA/SSI type tables.

The NAUI and SSI tables are similar since they are both derived from the US Navy tables. The PADI tables are based upon a slightly different decompression model (same basic concepts, but some limits made more conservative).

The biggest difference you will find in the tables is on repetitive dives. Tables are rather crude methods of tracking decompression, and there are some severe tradeoffs that need to be made to keep the tables simple. One very important simplification is that only 1 compartment is tracked for N2 loading calculations on repetitive dives. The USN tables upon which the NAUI/SSI/YMCA tables are based had to handle both decompression dives and the extraordinarily long dives in the 30 to 50' range that take place while working on the hulls of ships while breathing air supplied by hoses from topside. For this reason, the USN-derived tables base repetitive dive calculations upon the 2 hour compartment.

PADI commissioned tests specifically to test repetitive diving of recreational dive profiles. Using the results of those tests, and knowledge of the limitations of scuba tank sizes, PADI/DSAT created a table where the repetitive diving calculations were controlled by the 60 minute compartment. This allows the table to much better track the acual decompression status of a dive, and greatly increases the allowable bottom times on repetitive dives as compared to the USN-derived tables. For those rare cases where the 120 minute compartment would be the limit for repetitive dives, there are some special rules that require a minimum 1 hour or 3 hour SI. These rules are rarely needed since they only apply when doing 3 or more dives per day, and the dives to trigger the rules need to be unusually long to reach the limit.

A dive computer tracks all of the compartments and will generally allow even more time on repetitive dives, even when the underlying computer algorithm is more conservative than the table. Dive computers will also allow dramatically longer dive within NDL if the dive is multilevel. Tables treat all bottom time as if it is at the max depth (or the next multiple of 10' below the max depth). Computers monitors the actual dive depth and a dive that starts with a short deep section, and then moves shallower for later portions of the dive will result in greatly increased NDL times compared to a table that assumes a square profile dive.

When done properly, recreational diving has such a low incidence of DCS that it is nearly impossible to compare the safety statistics of different tables and computers. In real life, the easiest way to add significant safety margin is to add a couple of deep stops during the ascent, and spend a bit of extra time at the safety stop.

Charlie Allen

Ok, I am looking to take that next step and take another class. Right now have a NAUI SCUBA diver. All the dive shops around that I go to are PADI or SSI. Whats the best organization to go with for continuing education? I would also like to get my wife to be certified before are honeymoon in 10/08.

How about Dive tables. My cert. is NAUI and I dive with mostly PADI cert. divers. I noticed some differences in both tables while reviewing my skills today. Then I noticed that SSI uses the same table as NAUI however one can understand SSI tables better then the NAUI one.

Anyways whats the best to use? Whats the safest?

Thanks.
With regard to your question on tables, use whichever one is easiest for you to understand and use. They have some safety factors built into them, so either will work for you.

With regard to agencies, the other guys have covered it well. There is an issue of convenience that may influence your decision though.

VA Scuba is out by Manassas, VA, and is located about 15 minutes from Millbrook Quarry out past Haymarket, VA. Mark is the owner, runs a nice shop. Friendly staff. Well-stocked rental gear. Jackie (Hoyden on SB - PM her) works there.

Don't know how close that is to your location in Maryland. If you're at Mark's by 7 to pick up tanks, you're in the water 45 minutes later, you're done by noon or so, generally the student's cars pull out of Millbrook by mid-day, and you have the afternoon. In many other situations you spend more time driving than that around here. (As you probably know.)

In terms of agreeing with other posters, the rescue class was one of the most informative, useful courses I ever took when I got into diving. Sure, there are bad one's, but a good one can literally save a life one day. Highly recommend a rescue class.

And I also agree with Bob Vincent when he notes that doing something like this with your significant other is a cool thing, and I hope you both enjoy whatever course you decide on.

Doc

Back
Top Bottom