2 Tank Dive, Nitrox for Both?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading these five pages, here's my two cent. For multiple dives over consecutive days, I use Nitrox to aid in the slowing of the nitrogen load on my body. I know that's not the scientific way to put it, so the techies here don't need to correct me. :wink: $8 per tank is not a bad investment in your health and safety. Feel lucky it's only $8. I'm going to south Florida in October and the nitrox is outrageously and stupidly priced at $15-$16 per tank. I'll pay it begrudgingly because there's no choice.

As far as the analyzer, it is unacceptable that any shop in the world would not have an analyzer in the shop or on the boat. In one sense, it's your responsibility to make sure you get what you pay for and dive accordingly, and in another sense, it's their responsibility to prove to you you're getting what you paid for. In no way should it ever be up to the diver to bring their own analyzer.

I was nitrox certified a couple of years ago at Blue Magic Scuba in Cozumel and went on to dive with them for the week, each time analyzing the tanks with their analyzer. Last December, I returned to Cozumel and stayed at El Cid La Ceiba and used their on-site dive shop, Babeica. To my shock and surprise, they don't analyze nitrox tanks and do not even have the tool in their shop. On the first day of diving, I asked for it and the shop owner said, "Oh, the whole island gets their tanks from the hospital and we don't have to analyze." So they don't even know what their mix is because they never check it themselves. I was more than bothered by that. So I have no idea what I was diving on all week...air? nitrox? weak nitrox?:rant: This issue coupled with the fact that the reef was in terrible shape last December, I'm not going back to Cozumel for awhile. And now I will not dive with a shop who doesn't analyze their tanks and will definitely inquire before I dive with any operator in the future.

The reefs are in great shape right now - amazingly great shape and the diving is fantastic. I'd almost argue that diving today is better than usual with the reduced traffic - just saying.....

I took my blending classes at Force E in Boca and we would not label tanks on purpose so that it forced the tank owner to test his own tanks. You could test them right there at Force E but the best way is to double check them as you're setting your gear up.

And now I will not dive with a shop who doesn't analyze their tanks and will definitely inquire before I dive with any operator in the future.
We're just up front when we book and tell them we will want to analyze our tanks and confirm that there will be an analyzer on the boat. So far, we've not had an issue. This is just a standard part of our booking process now.

Why not just blow $200 on your own analyzer? I trust all my own gear more than I trust the dive shops gear.

A couple years ago I couldn't dive Santa Rosa wall because the DM took a look at the currents at the surface and said No Way. Last summer, the currents were going this way and that, with sand tornadoes.

I've read and been told about down currents. I request air for the first dive and 36% for second dive just because I am paranoid about being swept down. I have been told O2 poisoning isn't instant, but I have no desire to see how long it takes at 150'+ deep.

I've only dove with two ops in CZM, but both had analyzers. I'll be going with a third one next week. I will report if they have an analyzer on the boat.

Why not just blow $200 on your own analyzer? I trust all my own gear more than I trust the dive shops gear.

If it’s anything like me...just haven’t gotten around to spending $200+ for that particular piece of equipment yet.

It’s up there on my list of dive gear wants...just haven’t bitten the bullet yet.

Hi @living4experiences

In SE FL, renting a nitrox tank generally costs about $5 more than an air tank. All the operators I use have analyzers, I also have my own
Oh, thanks for the correction. I'm not used to diving in Florida where the boat ride doesn't include tanks and air. I'm used to the "tourist" type charter where you get the boat ride, tanks and weights for one price. But you are correct...it's about $10 per air tank and $15 ($16 with tax) for the nitrox tank.

I'm going to south Florida in October and the nitrox is outrageously and stupidly priced at $15-$16 per tank. I'll pay it begrudgingly because there's no choice.

In SE FL, renting a nitrox tank generally costs about $5 more than an air tank.

I've seen nitrox fills as high as $18 a tank, with rental prices as high as $10 more per tank.

Instead of paying through the nose, my trips down to South Florida are often a test to see how many tanks I can fit in the trunk of my car.

If we're Nitrox certified, we know how to test tanks - and in these tough economic times, I'd certainly be testing tanks.
I agree that basic nitrox certification covers tank contents testing. It is standard practice at most shops I use for the individual picking up the tanks to test them & usually log the test results before leaving. Many individuals & many dive boats also have testing equipment.

There are however, some boats that do not have testing equipment readily available. My statement concerning being able to tell the air tank from the nitrox tank stems from a situation in which two identical tanks have different mixes that are indicated only be a removable label that may become detached. If I lacked confidence in my ability to tell the tanks apart when it came time to dive, then I would bring only one type of mix in all tanks.

I do not understand why you think that in tough economic times it would be more important to test a tank compared with other times. In my opinion, it is ALWAYS important to know what kind of gas is in your tank. I don't see how economics would influence that.

A few years back I went to test the "nitrox" tanks that were provided for my party. I had my own analyzer (the shop wasn't offering theirs.) The guy at the shop (who had the shop's analyzer...) insisted that I didn't need to test them, that he had already done so. I thanked him and told him I would test them anyway, since that was standard procedure. He seemed upset.

And he became more upset when I told him they tested at 21%.

He then used his analyzer, claimed mine must not work correctly, and tried to show me that I was wrong. After I explained to him how to use his analyzer correctly, he was able to verify that my "nitrox" tanks were actually filled with air.

Learned my lesson... now I always bring my analyzer to Coz and I always test my own tanks. I've never had a problem since, and the only guy that ever got upset with me testing my own tanks was the guy that tried to give me air instead.
I have compared readings from 3 different (properly calibrated with ambient air) instruments on the same (well mixed) tank & gotten readings that varied by about 0.6%. I have used the same instrument to measure a PP filled tank before & after rolling it to mix the contents. The difference was sometimes in excess of 3%.

Using the instrument incorrectly can certainly cause errors well in excess of my examples. I agree that double checking can be important.

I've seen nitrox fills as high as $18 a tank, with rental prices as high as $10 more per tank.

Instead of paying through the nose, my trips down to South Florida are often a test to see how many tanks I can fit in the trunk of my car.
I've seen a large variation in nitrox pricing. I've seen it up around the $18 you mentioned & also down to just a few bucks more than air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom