2 week trip to Thailand - need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sringari

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to Thailand on a 2 week trip starting Sept 26 and leaving Oct 11. My priority is diving in the islands, so any suggestions/ advice anyone can provide would be great!

I'm interested in going to Koh Lanta, Koh Tao, Koh Phi Phi and anywhere else where the diving is good. Also, if anyone has had good experiences with any particular dive shops on various islands, it would be great to know about them.

I'll have my advanced open water certification by the time I get to Thailand (getting in Australia prior to going to Thailand), so I'm game for some great diving experiences!

Thanks!

Hi there, I can't comment on all of your questions- firstly, Phi Phi has some signs of damage- not horrendous, but not top notch- if you are in the area, head out instead to the similans, which have shown little damage post-tsunami. They are conducting lots of reef monitoring stuff there at the moment and all is looking better. By Oct you should be heading into OK time there, but still maybe look out for rough seas (check the ops).
Koh Tao has the better diving of the islands on that side- as for operators, IMHO, avoid the bigger ops on the island (buddha dive etc) - very big boats and lots of new divers. Any of the smaller ops would be better-try to do the chumphon dive. As for personal tatses, I would base yourself away from the main 'town' - there are much better bays around the island.

Enjoy- the Thai people will be glad to see you.

Hi Sringarai,

I’ve been to Thailand 16 times in the past 10 years and can’t get enough. The flights from central North America to Thailand are brutal, but well worth it. You’re still going to be in the monsoon season on the west side (although subsiding), but the diving there is better than on the east. Not until November will the liveaboards be running to the Similans, which are renowned to be the best dive sites in Thailand, although day trips are generally available depending on weather condition. Don’t look for the dive shop on Koh Lanta. I drove down the island looking for it 4 weeks ago, and it was still closed from tsunami damage. Maybe there is more than one? Dive operators out of Phuket can schedule day trips to local sites, including Phi Phi, Racha Noi, Racha Yai, Shark Point, Ko Docmai, King Cruiser wreck and more. I’m sure other dive sites are available, and others will undoubtedly chime in with more advice. There are plenty of dive operators at each of the west side beaches. I’ve used Divetheworld and Warm Water Divers at Patong Beach, and Pro-Tech at Karon Beach, all good and recommended. For accommodations, I prefer staying at Patong Beach for the insane night show.

Although the diving is a huge draw, get out and experience some of the traditional (non-decadent) Thai culture, which largely is not available in the tourist areas. Specifically, I recommend visiting some temples and the old capital of Ayuttayah (ancient ruins north of Bangkok). The Thai people are incredibly friendly, the cost of living is cheap, the food is fabulous, the women gorgeous, and the country is beyond exotic. Their tourist slogan several years ago was “Amazing Thailand”, and indeed it is.

sringari:
Hi,

I'm going to Thailand on a 2 week trip starting Sept 26 and leaving Oct 11. My priority is diving in the islands

not sure how much time you will spend on diving during those 2 weeks, for myself, after dive 4 tank a day, 4 days in a row, everthing underwater look the same to me, there are plenty other great things to do while you visit the amazing Thailand. have a good trip

Hey

I had my first diving experience in Koh Tao five years ago. I loved it! I didn't stay in the main port cause I felt it was to crowded. I climbed to the top of the island and stayed at a guest house just so I could chill out from all the travelling I did to get down there and just get my bearings. I saw another bay (Ao Tanot) from the highest point of the island and decided to hike down to see what the deal was. I found a few guesthouses and one dive shop. I found a bungalow on hte beach for like 150 baht(around 3USD) . I hiked back up, grabbed my stuff and headed back down.
We either swam or kayaked our gear to the dive boat everyday. All in all I couldn't ask for a better first time experience. People were friendly, the rental equipent was fine and the price was right. there is great snorkeling right on the beach. I loved it. I got there in late February and it took all my might to pack up and leave. Talk about getting lazy. Diving in the morning, then a nap , then some beers and curry, a little late afternoon dip and then start all over again the next day. I don;t think I was ever that relaxed in my life. I fortunately had a lot of time on my hands.
So if people are saying it's a better time of year to hit the Gulf of Thailand , I say go for it!
I will be traveling back to Thailand for a strictly diving vacation in January. I decided to hit up the East side cause I never been there before. Hopefully Krabi , Phi Phi and Koh Lanta will be ok by then and have shops up and running.

Like the other posters said Thailand rules and there is so much to see and do. I would also hit up Ayuttayah because it's close to Bangkok and you are tight for time. I could spend the rest of my life in Thailand.

Also if you want to bring back presents and cools stuff go to the Chatuchak market in Bangkok before you role out. You can buy anything and everything you want there . It;s amazing.

10tigers:
Hey

I had my first diving experience in Koh Tao five years ago. I loved it! I didn't stay in the main port cause I felt it was to crowded. I climbed to the top of the island and stayed at a guest house just so I could chill out from all the travelling I did to get down there and just get my bearings. I saw another bay (Ao Tanot) from the highest point of the island and decided to hike down to see what the deal was. I found a few guesthouses and one dive shop. I found a bungalow on hte beach for like 150 baht(around 3USD) . I hiked back up, grabbed my stuff and headed back down.
We either swam or kayaked our gear to the dive boat everyday. All in all I couldn't ask for a better first time experience. People were friendly, the rental equipent was fine and the price was right. there is great snorkeling right on the beach. I loved it. I got there in late February and it took all my might to pack up and leave. Talk about getting lazy. Diving in the morning, then a nap , then some beers and curry, a little late afternoon dip and then start all over again the next day. I don;t think I was ever that relaxed in my life. I fortunately had a lot of time on my hands.
So if people are saying it's a better time of year to hit the Gulf of Thailand , I say go for it!
I will be traveling back to Thailand for a strictly diving vacation in January. I decided to hit up the East side cause I never been there before. Hopefully Krabi , Phi Phi and Koh Lanta will be ok by then and have shops up and running.

Like the other posters said Thailand rules and there is so much to see and do. I would also hit up Ayuttayah because it's close to Bangkok and you are tight for time. I could spend the rest of my life in Thailand.

Also if you want to bring back presents and cools stuff go to the Chatuchak market in Bangkok before you role out. You can buy anything and everything you want there . It;s amazing.

10Tigers is right on with his Chutuchack market (=JJ market) recommendation. However, it's only open on Saturday and Sunday, and you can end up buying so much really inexpensive stuff, that this should definitely be the last thing you do in TH before heading home, so that you don't have to haul the stuff around the country with you. If your departure from TH isn't on a Sunday or Monday, then consider the Lumpini night market (=Suan Lum Night Bazaar) which opens at 7:00-7:30 pm every night. There is a subway stop (Lumpini station) right at the entrance to the market so it's easy to get to if you can access the skytrain and subway systems. It's just like JJ market, but smaller, much less crowded, and in the cooler temperatures of the evening.

Not until November will the liveaboards be running to the Similans, which are renowned to be the best dive sites in Thailand, although day trips are generally available depending on weather condition.
A lot has been said already on this forum about this, but there are liveaboards going to the Similans all year 'round. If it is a wise choice to go is another discussion.
Last year there were daytrips going also during the low season, as far as I know there are no daytrips this year, because the operators that were doing daytrips were hurt by the tsunami.

Late September/early Oct: you will still find some good conditions in the Gulf of Thailand - and the throngs of people would've gone by then.
Have a look at www.aquademiadive.com
They have branches in Samui and Koh Tao and are a small operation. They can probably advise on accommodation and on-land activities as well.

You're better off staying on the west coast for 2 reasons. The weather and the diving. Moskito on Phi Phi is a great outfit and they have a great boat for liveaboards too.

Back
Top Bottom