200' on air for 5 min bottom time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Helium adds additional risks to a novice/self-taught deco diver's dive that experience with just Oxygen/Nitrogen diving won't alert them to, though. Is it safer to tell them to go to 200' on trimix than air? I wouldn't say that's necessarily true. Neither one is going to be particularly safe.

Missed my point or I didn't type it very well.... I was trying to say that TRI-MIX is a better gas for deep diving then air... "AFTER" being trained as a TRI-MIX diver... :wink:

Ime most planning calls that a bounce dive, think of 30 fpm ascent. There is a Shallow stop on software. Sb seems to be anti deep air, but so some of us do it with clear conscious, with proper planning and gas management. Get a good instructor and make your own risk assessment.

It is smart to tell a diver with 20+ dives that's it ok to do a bounce dive to 200' on air... It'll be a stupid stunt that he may very well not walk away from... The hit of nitrogen narcoses could very well put him in real danger...... Air is not a very good gas to work with... When there is TRI-MIX... Plus very good divers that can teach you the safe and right way to dive at those depths...

Or Just grab the navy tables... Do a little math and go do it... maybe you'll come back....

Jim...

I have done deep air dives in the 200-240' range, though I was young and invincible back then.
Trimix was a very new thing back then, and once we gathered enough data from the guys diving it, and we realized the stuff wasn't going to kill us, we made the switch.
Trimix is the way to go when diving deep.....
To the OP: get some dives under your belt, and if you still have dreams of hitting 200' in a few years, get some legit training. Owning vplanner does not qualify one to dive extreme profiles. There's nothing down there worth dying for. Unless its a treasure wreck in which case you can PM me the GPS coordinates and ill go "check" it out for you:cool:

I was trying to say that TRI-MIX is a better gas for deep diving then air... "AFTER" being trained as a TRI-MIX diver... :wink:

I still won't necessarily agree with that as a universal statement, but I'll allow that it's often true and in any event trained is going to be safer regardless of the diver's choice of bottom mix.

OP is going to do what OP is going to do, but anyone who has spent 5 minutes in the depths of Scubaboard's advanced/tech forums would see that asking for advice on how to go do deep air dives is only going to produce a flurry of condemnation. If OP wants to do the dive, they can get trained, they can read books/the internet, or they can just wing it (listed in increasing order of chance of death)... but they should know that this kind of thread isn't going to be productive at all.

USN dive table 5 calls for deco stops of 1 minute at 20 feet followed by 4 minutes at 10 feet for a 200' dive with 10 minutes bottom time. If you increased your rate of descent and ssortened you stay at 200 feet to get down to 5 minutes bottom time, the deco requirement would be 1 minute at 10 feet. But remember, Navy tables tend to be a bit aggressive.

The Navy table are in the NOAA dive manual which can be downloaded: Noaa diving manual - free eBooks download

Ime most planning calls that a bounce dive, think of 30 fpm ascent. There is a Shallow stop on software. Sb seems to be anti deep air, but so some of us do it with clear conscious, with proper planning and gas management. Get a good instructor and make your own risk assessment.
Well, heres the thing, or rather two things..
200 ft is about a ppo2 of 1.5, wich is in theory fine, but do you know how yourself respons to it?
Secondly and more importantly, when you ask for the deco schedule on a internet forum - YOU DONT HAVE THE TRAINING TO DO SUCH A DIVE OR MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION!
OR, youre just trolling.

Either way, giving people ideas about how you can just jump in with your single al80 of air and do x minutes at y meters and it'll be perfectly fine is just about the most stupid thing you can ever do. The dead diver at tormento should give an idea as to how **** that plan can be..

Simmer down tiger.

Well, heres the thing, or rather two things..
200 ft is about a ppo2 of 1.5, wich is in theory fine, but do you know how yourself respons to it?
Secondly and more importantly, when you ask for the deco schedule on a internet forum - YOU DONT HAVE THE TRAINING TO DO SUCH A DIVE OR MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION!
OR, youre just trolling.

Either way, giving people ideas about how you can just jump in with your single al80 of air and do x minutes at y meters and it'll be perfectly fine is just about the most stupid thing you can ever do. The dead diver at tormento should give an idea as to how **** that plan can be..

Or it is an adult asking a serious question out of curiosity. It is not like it is some special secret. Why would you assume the op is planning such a dive? Withholding information is not a very good way to keep people safe.

I don't recall, but awap, do the USN tables expressly rely on the presence of a chamber or would the Navy use the same tables in a context of no ready access to one?

Or it is an adult asking a serious question out of curiosity. It is not like it is some special secret. Why would you assume the op is planning such a dive? Withholding information is not a very good way to keep people safe.
If it was a casual question on the deck of the boat or on the beach watching some tech diver gearing up, I would assume it was just a curiosity issue.
Going online on a forum asking about it, not so much. Both cause it takes a minimum of effort getting her and because the OP might not be the only one getting ideas..

Back
Top Bottom