200 yard surface swim..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our class is only 4 students which is great. Lots more time with the instructor. One thing about the lady that said her husband was thin and light. The advantage is when he is diving he is going to most likely wear a nice thick exposure suit (like I do) so if something does happen he can lose/dump his gear and he will float like a cork! heh (I do anyway!) (Obviously this would be a way to STAY on the surface not a safe method to quickly get to the surface)

Ben

BrianS:
Yes, as long as you don't stop, you can do the 200m any way you wish. But if he can't tread, he will have a problem doing the 10 minute tread right after (or whenever they make you do it). Have him practice floating on his back, since I personally prefer this over treading myself.

Wow, they let you float instead of treading? I was the last to finish the swim, went right into the tread and every time I tried to rest by floating, I got hit with a water polo ball. My instructors took that tread requirement seriously!

I said 200 yd, it's 200m ok

Actually, the standards of most agencies are written in both meters and yards. Even though 200 meters is more than 200 yds, either distance meets the requirements for those agencies who specify 200 yds/meters. NAUI doesn't specify a distance, YMCA requires 300 yds or meters.

Pretty sure the PADI rule is 10 min tread or float.

cal2632:
BrianS:
Yes, as long as you don't stop, you can do the 200m any way you wish. But if he can't tread, he will have a problem doing the 10 minute tread right after (or whenever they make you do it). Have him practice floating on his back, since I personally prefer this over treading myself.

Wow, they let you float instead of treading? I was the last to finish the swim, went right into the tread and every time I tried to rest by floating, I got hit with a water polo ball. My instructors took that tread requirement seriously!

200 meters was tough for me untell i rolled on my back and just relaxed
no prob then
as far treading / floating i cant sink lol
my extra weight /lol fat floats
i took a short nap while doing it
btw i just got certified in a 7mm suit i need 32 pounds of weight to desend

We also weren't offered the option of the 300m swim with fins, etc. Guess they wanted to make sure we were really tough enough! Guess I shouldn't complain; I did pass, after all.

The 200yd swim was the hardest part for me. My first thought was "geez, I don't want to be a lifeguard". So what I learned from watching was that it's ok to float for 200yds. I opted for the 300yd, snorkel, fins, mask exercise. Was alot easier for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom