2008 - My Quest for 150' viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversolo:
Best vis I've ever seen is 500 ft.+ at Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. Closest civilian diving resort is the Maldives and I hear that the vis is just as good there.

Maldives was pretty spectacular viz, but after many years, I just don't get the big deal.

Most of the stuff I want to see is 1/2" long and within 6' of my face.

I think that when divers get over their obsessions with seeing the familiar, recognizable and obvious- the need for "great viz" diminishes pretty fast.

That said- I have seen "the viz" go from 35 feet to 200 feet in literaly one minute. Quite unexpected and amusing, but did it make the diving any better? No, not really.

On Okinawa we can average 150ft in the Keramas, main island a bit less. Yonaguni is like diving in a bottle of vodka. Summer time when we aren't having a typhoon is best viz- flat seas, bright sun just makes the viz amazing.

Kewl, thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming! Cayman sounds fun. Bonaire too - is Bonaire typically that good, or was this just a good day? Okinawa, huh? Saipan, wow, I'd love to go there. Maldives, yup maybe. Think I'll pass on antarctica! :)

I'm not sure how to explain it, RoatanMan. I guess it's just a desire for clearness, for that experience. Diving weekend after weekend in 20 foot viz makes you just wish for some diving that doesn't make you think maybe you forgot to put in your contacts or something. :) I've never really dove really clear water.

I have been told that what you need for max vis is cold undisturbed water.

So it's got to be ice diving in the Artic ocean for you.

Me I would stick to Bonaire 100ft and WARM will do me fine :D :D :D

To be honest, I'd be happy with 20'! Last few dives up here have been in 3-5' (recent storms). Bonaire a few months ago was a very nice break. I can definitely see the attraction to greater vis diving when most of your diving is usually limited to a few (dozen) feet.

Ha ha, yeah, 20' starts to sound good next to 3-5'!

Nieu, NOW you're talking . . . I remember being intruiged by this place once before - I will definitely look into this one. And Bonaire too, since my dive shop goes there alot.

And Nooooooo, ain't no WAY I'm going to do any ice diving!! Brrrrrr! :) I should have added WARM water to the original post. :)

The Maldives are incredible, we could easily see divers at 110 feet from the surface. Gin clear!

From the west coast, if you want consistant vis....Kona is an easy hit. Manta's and sharks as well......
The Cayman's are great also, but, not nearly as easy to get to from here......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom