2008 - My Quest for 150' viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taxgeek:
Ok, starting to think about 2008's trip. Lately diving has been in medium to low viz situations. Great diving, don't get me wrong. Just not the best viz.

I'm starting to feel the need for some really great DEPENDABLE, FOR SURE, NEVER FAIL 100 to 150' viz. On every dive. And not just in the advertizing department's imagination.

Where can I get that?

Anybody care to just throw out a bunch of ideas of places for me to look into? They can be close or far away (I live in California), they can be macro spots or humpback territory, Expensive or moderatly priced, whatever. For right now, let's ignore almost everything but viz, except let's keep it to salt water. :)

Where has consistently the best viz? What places are known for their spectacular viz?

Thanks in advance!
Taxgeek

Best place.......COZUMEL. NEVER seen it below 100 ft vis. (been there 8 times). People seem to like Caymans or Bonaire. Been to each several times. Best vis in either place was never as good as the worst in Cozumel

almitywife:
for that sort of viz requirement...... Niue is my suggestion

http://www.niueisland.com/

http://www.dive.nu/
I can't believe an island exists that I've NEVER heard of. I checked out your links and it is now on my top 10 list of places to visit (and dive). Thank you.

Taxgeek: Sorry for the brief highjack......

thoughts of niue

100+ viz every dive (you can clearly see the bouys that are marked out 100ft apart)

lots of sea snakes, fish and swimthru's

they had a cyclone over 5yrs ago and recovering nicely im told by recent divers

legally part of NZ so even the aussies gain on the exchange rate

small, small, small island... their 'k-mart' was a shack with red letters painted on it and chickens wandering at the front door. oh, 1 flight in and out per week... gotta like those numbers

you can bike around the island or hire a car very easily

sunday is church day so you go canoying and its a blast!!

last memory of leaving the island, sitting on the shoreline having a sandwhich before flights and a whale breeched, it happened so close it splashed water on us

You need to ask not only where, but when. Some of the places mentioned, I've been there when viz is great, and not so great. And even if you go when it's supposed to be good, you're still playing the odds.

Good point. I guess after I get a big list I'll find out what time of year is best. Luckily, I'm pretty flexible on timing (just can't go around Oct/Nov.

What about Fiji? How's the viz there? Red Sea? Australia? How's Ningaloo?

The vis in Fiji got pretty good at times, however, wind and rain did effect a lot of our dives. Even when the vis dropped down to 60' , the diving was still phenomenal..

The RED SEA! You want great viz and a bonus of awesome reef system full of colorful coral and fish some that look like aliens for 8 day liveaboard or land based resort not only that but extend your trip and visit Cairo and Lexor, Great Pyramids, temples and tombs of Tut and much more.

If your interested you can reach me at bbuchanan@scubaplanners.com

Barb

Why stop at a measely 150 ft when you can go to Antarctica and get 500-600 feet! I know you're not a warm water wussy since you dive here in SoCal. Just teasing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom