2009 SB Fitness Exercise Challenge!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is one thing lacking form my workout routine: swimming. Maybe I need to look into the local pools.

That is one thing lacking form my workout routine: swimming. Maybe I need to look into the local pools.

Swimming is such an amazing workout. I love alternating days of weights/swimming/weights/swimming each week, the swimming not only provides cardio, it's such a great stretch on the non-weight days.

Today I went down and did my first CrossFit Foundation's class (session 1 of 3) at CrossFit Nasti.

This 60 minute session consisted of a 500m warmup on the rower, then demonstration and practice of the basic squat, dead lift, and shoulder press with varying degrees of PVC pipe, empty bars, and/or light weights. There was some nice video review of my technique when I had trouble picturing what I was doing wrong. There was also some good tips and demonstration/practice on stretching my tight hamstrings and shoulders. What it boils down to is that I was performing these techniques incorrectly, but hopefully have caught it early enough that it can be relearned easily. More importantly, I didn't try to teach Penny the incorrect methods.

The Coup de grace was a session to see how many pushups I could do in 10 minutes. When a pushup failed/faltered, then I had to do 250m on the rower, then attempt more pushups needless to say, after a couple of rounds, I was spending more time on the rower than doing pushups. The rower insures that there is high intensity the entire 10 minutes (Intensity is a huge component of CrossFit). Frankly, by then end of 10 minutes I had no clue, nor did I give a $**t how many pushups I'd done. lol There was a point when I uttered that my heart rate was at 177 bpm. The response was an encouraging "Oh yeh we're working out now!". At the end of the 10 minutes as I lay slumped over the rower, the 2nd trainer/co-owner came up and introduced himself. He says "It's nice to meet you." I uttered, "I wish I could say the same right now."
icon_smile.gif

Tomorrow I go in to do the second session not their ideal way to do it, but I'm occupied the remainder of the week out of town. He gave me a heads-up on what we'll cover and described to me the Fran workout. I haven't even met her yet, but already have reason to dread tomorrow.

Why do I have a feeling that I'm going to get my money's worth out of this training?

Swimming is such an amazing workout. I love alternating days of weights/swimming/weights/swimming each week, the swimming not only provides cardio, it's such a great stretch on the non-weight days.

I would love to fit it in. Maybe in the mornings since I do my regular workouts in the afternoon. Lots of pools in my area just have to check out costs etc.

Workout for today:
5 min rowing machine (1100m)
2 sets of pull-ups
2 sets of dips
2 sets of bench press
2 sets of triceps extensions
2 mile run - I upped my normal speed so it is killing me again.

I would love to fit it in. Maybe in the mornings since I do my regular workouts in the afternoon. Lots of pools in my area just have to check out costs etc.

Workout for today:
5 min rowing machine (1100m)
2 sets of pull-ups
2 sets of dips
2 sets of bench press
2 sets of triceps extensions
2 mile run - I upped my normal speed so it is killing me again.
I don't know how old you are but if you're in the 40+ range and have ever had a back problem my PT has advised against the rower. Says it puts a lot of strain on the lower back. Just a heads up if it applies to you.

Today I went down and did my first CrossFit Foundation's class (session 1 of 3) at CrossFit Nasti.
<snip>
I haven't even met her yet, but already have reason to dread tomorrow.

Why do I have a feeling that I'm going to get my money's worth out of this training?
Do you think the name of the place would be any indication?? :D :D

I don't know how old you are but if you're in the 40+ range and have ever had a back problem my PT has advised against the rower. Says it puts a lot of strain on the lower back. Just a heads up if it applies to you.

Given the caveat that I'm not a doctor, PT, or a trainer.....

I spent a fair amount of time on the rower today with the trainer harping on things I was doing wrong.... errr... encouraging me as to what to do correctly... yeh... that's it!

His main points to me (driven by my bad form no less) was to bring the butt as close to the feet as possible, drive through the legs to full extension first, then secondly, retract/pull the arms below the rib cage.

Again... he was coaching things that he saw me doing incorrectly, so it's certainly not an exhaustive list of "points for safe-back rowing".

YMMV

Oh... and I'm in the over 40 crowd. :banana:

Dear Mom,

I met a new girl at the gym today. Her name is Fran. Don't worry you won't like her in fact I don't much care for her either. Ya see, Fran is a CrossFit workout one of many named workouts that consists of different exercises.

Fran: 21, 15, 9
Squat Thrusts 95# (Hips below knees on the squat and then shoulder press to full extension)
Pull-ups (chin above bar)

These are done in a prescribed fashion, 21 Squat Thrusts, 21 Pull-ups, 15 Squat Thrusts, 15 Pull-ups, 9 Squat Thrusts, 9 Pull-ups. The total time to perform these 90 repetitions are your "Fran time" This is one of the benchmark workouts that allows other people doing CrossFit to compare levels of fitness with each other.

As this was my first, they scaled it to my current fitness level: Thrusters (Bar only) and Jumping pull-ups. My Fran time was 10:50.

This was session 2 (of 3) for the Foundations class. We started with a warmup on the rower, then a review of the 3 movements from yesterday and added 3 additional. The new movements were Front Squat, Sumo-Deadlift-High-Pull, and the ?Jump Press (amazing what I can forget). There was good discussion and interaction regarding technique and form critique.

I had the benefit of both trainers scrutinizing me today, and it was great to hear their point of view. This reminded me a lot of a DIR/NTEC/UTD style Fundamentals Course (for those scuba divers that have attended one of these intense sessions).

At one point during Fran my HRT hit 180 bpm, but after it ended and I caught my breath, I felt pretty good. Not bad considering my theoretical max is 177
lol.gif
!

In a masochistic sort of way I think I'm going to really like this!!!!

The alternating swimming and weights coupled with smaller portions has me dropping 1lb a week...and feeling great!

Back
Top Bottom