2010 Fitness Exercise Challenge!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many of you would characterize your activity as being primarily focused on:

1. Losing weight
  2. Getting better at a specific activity (e.g. cardio)
  3. Just getting more active
  4. Trying to find "Functional Fitness"
  5. Some combination of above or other (please explain)

I would say 1-3 for myself.

I have been a bit out of commission as of late. Returning home from Florida and into a TON (absolute TON) of work at my job, plus scheduled doctor's appointments and exercise fell by the wayside. Back at it on Friday with a 1.25 mile swim and then Saturday was spent cycling with my best friend - trying out my new clipless pedals and shoes (super-sweet!!).

Hope all are well!

Glad to hear the new clipless pedals are going well!! I've thought of taking them off my mountain bike (I don't MTB enough to be real secure with them), but I love them on the touring and road bike... I wouldn't leave home without them!! :)

Regarding my choices I gave above, I fall in #3 & #4, although sometimes I'd like to lose weight. I'd be a lot better looking with about 15lbs less... provided of course, I had a paper bag on my head. :D

We had another house showing Sun Afternoon, so we went out and looked at 3 Open Houses to see if we liked them... timing wasn't right to go cycling after that, so I Kettlebell'd instead... LOL

Sunday Workout
Muscle-Up Transitions
Ring Rows (false grip) x 5 x 3

35# KB Swings x 10

15# KB Swings x 5/side
15# KB Snatches x 10/side

20# KB Swings x 5/side
20# KB Snatches x 10/side

25# KB Swings x 5/side
25# KB Snatches x 10/side

Reverse Hypers x 5 x 2

35# KB Windmills x 3/side

How many of you would characterize your activity as being primarily focused on:

1. Losing weight
  2. Getting better at a specific activity (e.g. cardio)
  3. Just getting more active
  4. Trying to find "Functional Fitness"
  5. Some combination of above or other (please explain)

Sure I'd like to lose weight ... what fat person wouldn't ... but so far it's not happening all that much ... probably because I'm not changing my eating habits a whole lot. Working out makes me hungry.

Cardio is a higher priority for me ... long walks on the beach for me usually involve lugging scuba gear ... and often up a hill after the dive. I was starting to notice myself getting terribly winded doing this, and that's just not acceptable.

I'm not particularly concerned about getting more active ... I'm so active now I barely have time to sleep.

Functional fitness ... yeah ... that's the priority. Finding the right combination of strength, stamina and flexibility to keep me diving the way I want to. I'm 58 ... I figure I've got less than a decade of "functional fitness" left in me for tech diving. A lot less than that if I don't maintain some kind of workout regimen. Last October I went up to Victoria to hook up with some folks and do some tech diving. It was a terrible week-end ... a major embarrassment for me because I wasn't fit enough to do what I needed to do, and I had to bow out of the dives. Huge wake-up call ... I don't plan to repeat it.

That's a big motivator ... one I had reason to use this morning. After a very strenuous day on Saturday, and a long day of diving and driving yesterday, I woke up weary this morning. First time since I started working out that I had to literally talk myself into getting up and heading to the gym rather than sleeping another hour.

But I did ... and I'm kinda proud of myself for it. I spent the day walking around a bit stiff, but I got in a full lower-body workout this morning ... followed by a vigourous 30-minutes on the elliptical.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

1 & 3 after seeing pictures of myself from my recent vacation I couldn't believe how much weight I've gained in the past 5 years. About 70 lbs. Crazy I know!

I'm down 20 lbs. so far and feel so much better already. And my dogs are getting more exercise too from all the trails that we do.

I've changed my eating habits too. eating much healthier snacking on fruit instead of Little Debbie cakes, making better choices and lots of frozen healthy choice meals instead of pizza 3x a week.

It's not easy but it's definately worth it!

Good morning all. Tuesday 4/13: Cycling class at the Y (60 minutes, 580 calories approx.). Now time to start the day. Will be ending with a jog this evening with my best friend.

I'm not particularly concerned about getting more active ... I'm so active now I barely have time to sleep.

Functional fitness ... yeah ... that's the priority. Finding the right combination of strength, stamina and flexibility to keep me diving the way I want to. I'm 58 ... I figure I've got less than a decade of "functional fitness" left in me for tech diving. A lot less than that if I don't maintain some kind of workout regimen. Last October I went up to Victoria to hook up with some folks and do some tech diving. It was a terrible week-end ... a major embarrassment for me because I wasn't fit enough to do what I needed to do, and I had to bow out of the dives. Huge wake-up call ... I don't plan to repeat it.

That's a big motivator ... one I had reason to use this morning. After a very strenuous day on Saturday, and a long day of diving and driving yesterday, I woke up weary this morning. First time since I started working out that I had to literally talk myself into getting up and heading to the gym rather than sleeping another hour.

But I did ... and I'm kinda proud of myself for it. I spent the day walking around a bit stiff, but I got in a full lower-body workout this morning ... followed by a vigourous 30-minutes on the elliptical.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
A couple of week long cave diving trips in 2007/2008 left my body just totally "flagged" at the end of the week, straining to get my doubles in the back of the vehicle after fills. We took up cycling and that really helped the air consumption, but it wasn't until we started doing deadlifts and squats did the tanks and diving really get easier.

Keep up the hard work Bob... you've got lots of great diving left in you and I want to hear your stories for many years to come! Penny and I need to get back out and dive with you again (we'll practice single tanks with a drysuit first! LOL)

1 & 3 after seeing pictures of myself from my recent vacation I couldn't believe how much weight I've gained in the past 5 years. About 70 lbs. Crazy I know!

I'm down 20 lbs. so far and feel so much better already. And my dogs are getting more exercise too from all the trails that we do.

I've changed my eating habits too. eating much healthier snacking on fruit instead of Little Debbie cakes, making better choices and lots of frozen healthy choice meals instead of pizza 3x a week.

It's not easy but it's definately worth it!

Excellent! Changing food choices was the hardest mental part for me to do last year..... and yes, it's worth it!!

Hola. Ran intervals with my best friend this evening - on an incline. Bleech but it was good to do.

Ring Pullups (false grip) Strict pullups, no kipping
5 x 3 plus 2 extra before I gave out

Potato Squats with 50# kettlebell
(strict back and chest positioning)
5 x 2

On the home front... we accepted an offer on our condo after being on the market since April 2nd! New fun awaits.... now we have to find a new place PRONTO!!

Happy Tax Day!

Back
Top Bottom