2011 UW Scooter racing - DPV owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJah, this is not a replacement for the Tahoe benchmark, and thanks to James for all he does for that. This is fun.

I wasn't able to get involved until the last race of last year, which is why you don't see me on the sponsors page. I'm trying to get that fixed for this year by negotiating with the organizers. I think I'll probably have to buy the beer.

The Tahoe benchmark is a scientific study under controlled conditions to determine very specific real life operating parameters of a host of scooters. The WWL is a bunch of serious and semi-serious divers out having a good day on the water racing around a rusty hunk of junk in real (waves, cold, wind current) conditions. If you break a blade at Tahoe, you replace the blade and go on. If you break a blade at WWL, you lose. If there is something wrong with the thrust output at Tahoe, or a nosecone floods, you remove the scooter from the water, fix the problem, and go on with the test. When a scooter floods on the Vandenberg/Oriskany, you wave goodbye unless there is a set of doubles with trimix on the boat.

The WWL is designed for bragging rights, where the benchmark is designed to tell you which scooter will most meet your needs. I'll bet you've never considered a Pegasus before as a real scooter, have you. I gotta tell you, they impress the heck out of me.

The biggest difference between the benchmark and the WWL is that the benchmark is a bunch of divers trying to replicate data because the scooter manufacturers whine and cry when their scooter is found to be less satisfactory than someone else's scooter and they blame it on the testers. The WWL is a bunch of divers out having a good time. That's what diving is all about, isn't it?

Seems like one way to get it more competitive would be to cap the battery capacity. Then you would get divers trying to be the most efficient, drafting each other etc. and trying to determine how to make the most out of a limited resource. I wonder if you could have the race officials discharge all the batteries and then give them precisely X amount of Wh or Ah or whatever. I bet there are some chargers out there capable of that. Really I'm just thinking out loud...

Easy there Motley....we're just trying to have some fun here! There's no big cash prize you know!

I don't really see the point of this. Tahoe Benchmark shows us what speeds scooters are capable of. It's very easy to select the fastest scooter and easily beat everyone, given similar drag rates. If it really gets competitive, then match the fastest scooter with the smallest person, with the smallest tanks, in a speedo suit.

What's the youngest age for scuba diving? Find someone with a kid that age, throw them in the water with a Dive Xtras Cuda Fury or Silent Submersion Magnus, and you are virtually guaranteed to win, no?

To have competitive racing similar to events like Nascar, you'd need to separate people out into classes based on similar motor windings, ie, similar speeds, and have them do a longer circuit that allowed for some strategy and wasn't merely a "pedal to the metal" event, where whomever has the Cuda Fury/Magnus and the lowest drag will win. Or am I misunderstanding this?

When I try to research how the event is run, I get a lot of fluff. Only a few of the competitors list what DPV they are diving with. I can't find a description of how the course is set up, and how divers are forced to stay within boundaries to ensure a fair race. There is very little information about any of those specifics, and a whole lot of stuff about how exciting it is, and how people are setting records, and how they are going to Italy, and things like that. I would really like to see a standardized format for competitor pages so we can see what exact configuration they are competing in, and how race courses are laid out, what rules are in place and how they are enforced.

Lisa, what DPV do you use?

yea. everyone please stop having fun!

Yes, it's a lot of fun. We love to have fun and . . . bragging rights are awesome :)

It's also worth noting that racers using double Pegasus Thrusters won overall First Place on the first and last race of the season!

Sure thing - click here for all the dates and locations!

Hope to see you out racing with us this season!

Indian Valley Scuba has the below tentative dates posted. More details to follow:

2011 Formula H20 Racing Schedule**

May 13-15 Ft. Myers, FL
June 4-5 Rome, Italy
June 24-26 Vandenberg Underwater Grand Prix Key West, FL
July 22-24 Gold Coast Underwater Grand Prix Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
August 12-14 Wes Skiles Memorial Shoot Out Key Largo, Fl
Oct. 14-16 Quest for Atocha Gold Key West, Fl

**Formula H20 Racing is brought to you by the Wreck Racing League. All dates are tentative and subject to change. Please visit Sanctioned by the Wreck Racing League for more information.

Wreck Racing League

Thank you for that Lisa, I suppose I should have listed the dates!

No problem Dave, just like to keep it easy for everyone :)

Can't wait for the first race . . . .

Back
Top Bottom