2013 Diving in South Africa.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BelgianScubadiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,

I planned a dive trip to SA in July of August.
Are these good months for diving (calm sea etc??) en what about the different species sharks??
Can someone give me good suggestions or tips??

Thanks a lot!!

Greetz Stijn :acclaim: (Belgium Europe)

I dived at Umkomaas/ Aliwal Shoal in August this year. I saw a few Ragged Tooth sharks. I believe August is still a bit too early to see Tiger Sharks, but you might get lucky, especially on a baited dive. The weather wasn't at its finest -- one day's diving was cancelled (out of four) and we nearly didn't make it out of the launch area on another day.

Cape Town is generally quite wet and cold at that time of year. There's quite a strong possibility of winter storms, but you get quite a few good days. It's a good time for Great Whites, though (never tried cage diving myself, not interested). The Broadnose Sevengill Sharks (Cow Sharks) near Pyramid Rock are there year-round, there's a pretty good chance of seeing them on any dive.

I have no idea about Sodwana Bay or any other popular spots in South Africa.

As already mentioned Cape town can have four seasons in one day, but visability is generally better in winter. I would second the recomendation to see the Broadnose Sevengill Sharks (Cow Sharks) as this is one of the few places in the world that they are found in shallow water. Two weeks ago we sat on the seabed with three small and two large 2m sharks swimming within 30cm of us. If you can take the opportuniy to see them before the site becomes overregulated (Rumour)

Also here is a link to a great resource for the protea banks shark calendar Diving Calendar: Protea Banks Shark and Aliwal Shoal - Trevor Krull African Odyssea

Good diving and enjoy your trip.

---------- Post added November 29th, 2012 at 01:09 PM ----------

If you like i can also garantee raggies in the I&J predator tank at the aquarium!

Depends where you plan on diving, August is pretty good for Raggie sightings off Aliwal shoal (Durban) and the sea conditions are fine. Its unlikely you will find a number of shark species in one area, so for Ragged tooth sharks, and probably Sand sharks August is good off Aliwal Shoal, Protea banks may have a tiger sighting, but you are more likely to see Zambezi's, Black Tips or perhaps a Hammerhead or two.

Further North like Sodwana Bay the conditions should be good, but shark sightings off the usually dived reefs (Two Mile) are not really common, Ragged Tooth sharks are seen in certain areas at specific times but you would need to go further out like to 5 mile or even 9 mile reef when you stand a better chance of seeing bigger predators, mostly black tip sharks or Hammerheads.

Great Whites are almost never seen in these waters, I have been diving here for over 35 years and never seen a Great White further North than Gansbaai in the Western Cape. Cape Town has a myriad of Great white diving adventures, most dont even use Scuba, so anyone can do it.

Thanks everyone for the information!!
Just one question. I'm going for 3 weeks to Durban and not the Capetown because of the bad weather. Is there a chance to do a cagediving with withe sharks in Durban end of july/august ??

Thanks a lot!

Greetz Stijn :wink:

Thanks everyone for the information!!
Just one question. I'm going for 3 weeks to Durban and not the Capetown because of the bad weather. Is there a chance to do a cagediving with withe sharks in Durban end of july/august ??

Thanks a lot!

Greetz Stijn :wink:

No, unfortunately there's no cage diving with great whites off Durban at any time of the year that I am aware of. Only Cape Town / Gansbaai has great white cage diving.

---------- Post added December 9th, 2012 at 03:02 PM ----------

I am looking to do a Cape Town Great White Shark dive and surface observation boat charter in June (in season) Has anyone an opinion on Shark Cage Diving Cape Town | Great White Shark Diving | South Africa or another in the area that does the cage (with air), towing and jumping, and seal colony
I have seen their Trip Advisor, but would like opinions from here.

They are well known, personally I haven't used them but they come highly recommended from those who have.

All the operators do much the same, I usually dive with "White Shark Projects" Home however they do not dive off Cape Town but a bit up the coast in Gansbaai.

Personally I think the cage diving off Gansbaai is better for great white viewing, but its a small town with nothing to do except dive, and is about 160 km ( a 2 hour car ride from Cape Town) - so transfers are lengthy, whereas Simonstown is only 40 odd minutes from Cape Town and still has a lot of things to do topside - obviously all the operators will transfer you to and from Gansbaai (or Simonstown), but from a visiting perspective its probably easier and quicker to dive off Simonstown.

I've heard that August isn't a good month for diving @ the Protea Banks..........strong winds?! Can someone give me some advice about this diving place? Normally i'll be there in the beginning of August.

My only trip to Protea was in May, so can't vouch for August, but I can recommend an operator... www.afridive.com. I know they'd be happy to answer your questions and you can't go wrong diving with them. I found Protea Banks to be kind of "hit or miss," but when it's good it's probably the single best shark destination I've dove. You're also only an hour away from Aliwal/Umkomaas, so don't miss out on diving a different environment just a short distance away. You mention skipping Capetown..I wouldn't....beautiful city/area topside even if you don't go diving. The great white cage diving is a very worthwhile experience, although about as far from an actual "dive" as it could be.

Back
Top Bottom