2019 Santi Elite+ Neck Seal Decision Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SimonMirr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks, 1st post so be gentle! I've searched and read as much as I can about the silicon user replaceable and neoprene neck seals which is my final decision to make on my first (and hopefully last or at least for a long time) drysuit purchase.

The reason I put the year in the title as many of the posts around the subject seem many years old and I believe things have moved on in both the silicone and neoprene applications.

So which do people recommend for me:

I am on the thin side of a 5'11 build and want to use the suit year round from temps ranging from 8C in the UK to 27C in Egypt and Malta - basically anything up to 3mm territory (I feel the cold). OC backmount but will likely be switching to sidemount once I get a sidemount essentials slot.

From what I've read compared to neoprene I like the idea of the silicon system being easy to don, less prone to leak, greater neck mobility and self replaceable. What I'm not too keen on is the fixed ring, how delicate this might be (especially when travelling / packing etc) and how I imagine it feels against the back of your neck and chest + some mobility restrictions that I have picked up on in the forum - although this might be less of a problem in sidemount). Also adding the warm neck system seems to add bulk to the neck of the suit which may interfere with a long hose / sidemount setup with the 2nd reg hanging beneath the primary.

My LDS is recommending neoprene for comfort and minimalism, but out of the 4 people (all instructors) I know with opinions on the matter, 1 says neoprene is a struggle to don and very often leaks and 2 swear by it, but neither have much experience with the latest Sitech silicon system supplied with Santi suits.

Final point is I'm told if I opt for neoprene first I cannot go to silicon without having the whole top half of the suit rebuilt. I can go from silicone to neoprene though but it would be a fiddle removing the warm neck and I'd need a new hood (without the skirt) so quite a cost (and time without a suit) implication.

Grateful if you can provide thoughts / advice, ideally for those who have tried both and can comment on the most recent versions of each - I've heard neoprene has become easier to don with newer material tech for example.

Needless to say its a huge investment for me so I want to minimise regret!

Many Thanks

Simon

What neck seal system is being offered? Is it SiTech or something else. The SiTech Neck Tite is pretty flexible. I think that’s the name. It’s the second generation one. The first generation (Quick Neck) is not very flexible. Third generation, Orust, has little clips that are too fussy and pop out, by all reports.

The dive shop said 3rd gen is the default option but Santi seem fairly customisable so I might be able to specify 2nd gen. in a picture it had what looked like teeth as opposed to being smooth all the way around.

I've been using the 1st gen. one for a long time and am always grateful to be able to switch out a just-torn silicone seal for a new one, on the hood of my car, in just a few minutes. I have the new 2ng gen. more flexible one sitting in the basement waiting to be installed when ever my DIY 1st gen. installation fails. The stiffness of the original is a little annoying.

I have a Santi with Sitech Quickneck and silicone seals. I would buy it again I it was stolen today. Quickneck is flexible enough.

Oh wow, sorry to hear about the theft. I'm sorted on the other options and will be going with the Santi smart glove system with silicon wrist seals - glad to hear these are recommended.

I take it from no references to the neoprene warm neck attachment that this isn't as cumbersome as I am imagining? (I thinking once it fills with water it would puff up a little).

& no votes here so far for a neoprene neck seal so far.

Thanks so far - I really value the feedback.

I take it from no references to the neoprene warm neck attachment that this isn't as cumbersome as I am imagining? (I thinking once it fills with water it would puff up a little).

It isn't too cumbersome. I use a silicone neck seal with the quickneck and a 8 mm K01 hood (regular, not the bib). The suit naturally has the warm neck collar.
This combo is warm enough for extended periods in 3-4C water. Never felt cold around neck.

Also adding the warm neck system seems to add bulk to the neck of the suit which may interfere with a long hose / sidemount setup with the 2nd reg hanging beneath the primary.

Never had any issues like that, although I don't dive sidemount but I guess BM longhose and necklaced secondary isn't that different.

I would advise against neoprene. It's prone to leakage. Don't know by own experience if the Sitech solution is good or not, but what I heard from buddy's is that it can be restricting while doing a valve drill. It depends on your body build it seems if it's restricting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom