@

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
@BS~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK.

I have done a couple of solo dives at BS last two weekends. These consecutive weekend dives were unplanned pretty much, but I had a good time by myself. Moreover, I had a chance to check out the brand new Canon camera with its housing.

As you know, the electronic appliances’ price is getting cheaper including my brand new laptop due to the mass production and a lower labor cost in the third world including the main China. There is one weird industry that this trend isn’t applied very well. It is a diving industry. The new model of the diving computer is already hit over $1,600 range. Alas!

My new camera setup comes in an incredible deal at under $400 from Amazon. It comes with Canon 7.2 Mega Pixel camera, Canon housing, Housing weight, 2GB SD card, 4 Rechargeable batteries, and Charger, Two silicon grease, and Silica gale. Furthermore, I could save $30 after signing up Amazon credit card.

I have been wondering why some divers are stingy to take a continuous UW picture even though there is nothing to lose except the battery life (Even, a rechargeable battery moots this factor). As a PURE P&S photographer, I took 115 pictures and 15 min Video Clips (The clips feature works great. This tiny camera record almost one hour in 2GB memory) in one dive. So, from now on, whoever I dive with, I will shoot from your head to toe in UW.

A visibility at BS was really terrible due to the weekend morning OW classes and rainy weather condition (Yeah. It is my first excuse on the picture quality). The Photoshop CS3 helped a little bit, but that much quality improvement due to the low visibility. You can see a lot of noise on the picture. Please let me know if you know how to fix it.

I used to take UW pictures for UW data collection and making a photographic record, so the picture quality wasn’t issue that much as long as we can read the data on the picture. However, this personal picture is totally different genre because the picture quality is everything.

I attached two PhotoShop Action files: The first one is based on this article and second one is from the famous Bob on our board. However, not all Bob’s actions work on CS3, version 10. All my pictures were edited with the first action. An 'Action" is like a "Macro" function in Excel. Once you click the button, it automatically edit the file.

After taking picture UW objects at BS, I can see how many junks we have seen at BS. You guys are true dive mania because I am not sure who want to be there without diving. It looks like UW landfill yard.

Check out pictures below. Can you recognize these objects?

BS Tutelary

BS_Tutelary.jpg

Wally's Computer Desk

Wally_s_Computer_Desk.jpg

Wally's Computer

Wally_s_Computer.jpg

Armored Car

Armored_Car.jpg

Hood on Armored Car

Hood_on_the_Armored_Car.jpg

Snowmobile

Snowmobile.jpg

Mower

Mower.jpg

Bowling Balls

Bowling_Balls.jpg

Tunnel

Tunnel.jpg

Rare Fish at BS

Rare_Fish_at_BS.jpg

Blue Springs, Waldron IN. I don't think you can come up here and dive kyfrogman, KPP rules I think. :D

Hoosier, you need to keep that blue gill pic. Proof that there really are fish at BS.
All in all they look pretty good especially for the viz. I'm sure there was a lot of editing done.

Padon my newness but what is BS?

Blue Springs Indiana, about an hour and a half up 65 from us, we will try it out some time if your into trying out a different quarry.

WT, I am not familiar with your software, but typically there should be an auto levelling feature or a slider that can compensate for color correction, ie; adding red back to quarry shots. I would also look for a despeckle feature. Where in the heck did you find a fish in BS???:D

No.. I only spent about 15 min for editing 115 pictures. I have used an "ACTION" with a PhotoShop CS3, Version 10. I was told that this SW is worth $1K. LOL~~~

An UW Action (I created based on the article (check out the link on the initial post)) DOES include an "Auto Levelling" feature at the end as I recall. That is, an Action is just an order of editing job that you can create. Photoshop records your editing order and save it as one file. I only push the button on the new picture file after then. an eding job is done in 1 second.

I would like to attach the UW Action though. My attachment quota is over and I can't delete the old attachments. :(

The underwater action is marginal on many photos. I've found in many cases just using auto leveling or manually adjusting the sliders works very well. If you design a better UW action be sure and let us novice shutterbugs a notice!

Chris,, I am totally newbie on this. You know why? My sister was a graphic designer, so I used to let my sister do it for me. But, she quit and became a house wife. LOL~~~

Check out this article... I just copycat their order of editing job...

http://www.gadling.com/2005/02/11/how-to-editing-underwater-photos/

Pleae chime in if there is any other thing I can add on.

However, is there anyway to fix the noise? The additional strobe is only option? I plan to get the wide angle lens, but not strobe because it is against a PURE P&S discipline. :wink: I hate anything bulky in UW..

I'm no expert by any means. The old PS software I'm using has both auto and manual leveling. There is also a, Filter > Noise > Despeckle, function. When I have a photo that I run the underwater.atn action on and I'm not happy with the results I'll go back and manualy run these functions. Viz makes all the difference in the world, I'm sure BS just like FRP has few good photo opportunities!

Your sister is missing out on a good at home business!

I would love to dive BS... As far as software, i use photoimpact pro, I will gladly let you "borrow" it if we ever meet.

I would love to dive BS... As far as software, i use photoimpact pro, I will gladly let you "borrow" it if we ever meet.

Photoimpact is another good program, I like their special effects features. We will have to visit bs before the season is out. Don just bought a small Canon camera and it has an underwater pre-set, first I've seen. We will have to see how good the shots are after he gets a housing for it......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom