21st century scuba idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Very far fetched but something unique and different, definately thinking outside of the box.

Immersed Senses

"Improving the limitations of current scuba diving system, designer Adam Wendel has come up with a futuristic device named the “Immersed Senses” that changes the way the diver sees, hears, and breathes underwater, allowing them to become a part of their surrounding environment. Immersed Senses is the future of underwater diving and exploration. Featuring a LED flashlight to let the diver to observe the dark depths of the ocean, the mask also includes a large OLED glass display to offer a panoramic view of the surroundings. The OLED enclosed helmet also allows the extracted oxygen to flow freely throughout the helmet, as if you are breathing on land without any breathing apparatus."

immersed-senses-_07_gEQDN_17621.jpg

Interesting concept...question is, would it be feasible and affordable.

I'm pretty sure commercial diving helmets (some at least) have a nose block one can equalize against.
There might also be a problem with fogging, excessive bouyancy and what happens when you blow a neck seal. It also needs to be plumbed like a helmet system as you can't just swap regs in case of freeflow/failure. You also don't want to bump your head against anything hard. The flashlight on the forehead is nice though as explorers can now do away with those pesky canlights. I wouldn't be too worried though, as the MOD for oxygen is only about 25' and it probably isn't that dark down there.

All in all, it's just a return to helmeted diving.

What's funny is that, when reading books from that era, JYC and others heralded skin diving as the future, citing the freedom of movement and mobility it offered over the then status quo, helmeted divers.

This thing was clearly designed by an art student, not a diver or engineer of any kind.

I'm pretty sure commercial diving helmets (some at least) have a nose block one can equalize against.
There might also be a problem with fogging, excessive bouyancy and what happens when you blow a neck seal. It also needs to be plumbed like a helmet system as you can't just swap regs in case of freeflow/failure. You also don't want to bump your head against anything hard. The flashlight on the forehead is nice though as explorers can now do away with those pesky canlights. I wouldn't be too worried though, as the MOD for oxygen is only about 25' and it probably isn't that dark down there.

All in all, it's just a return to helmeted diving.

What's funny is that, when reading books from that era, JYC and others heralded skin diving as the future, citing the freedom of movement and mobility it offered over the then status quo, helmeted divers.

I suggest we encourage concept development, at least as long as we are not paying for it. As with everything in life, there are properties that are good and bad. We choose the least painful compromise and go to work (or play). Helmets, snorkels, masks, regulators all have good and bad attributes. This particular concept is far less about the headgear than the ability to present information that is useful. That presentation could be in a "hat" or in a full mask, a half mask, or plugged in behind the ear. Some of the best ideas evolve from the most embarrassing failures.

They will learn about Archimedes principal soon enough. They will also learn that diving gear is not treated as gently as a laptop. They will develop an appreciation of electrical conductivity of salt water. But along the way we may get way better gear than we can imagine now. Yes, Cousteau scoffed at heavy gear divers who saw his invention as a toy. Both types of gear evolved and all have their place.

I hope that we will look as archaic to divers 30 years from now as Copper hats looked to Cousteau 65 years ago.

Nah. Just gonna keep using my seal helmet from the Abyss.

And you are supposed to clear your ears in that thing how?

Swallow, yawn, wiggle your ears. I don't use my hands to equalise myself. Just wiggle my ears.

Anyway, I always like seeing new inventions, even if they are unrealistic. If 1 out of 100 works, then that's great.

Personally, I'm looking forward to completely realistic virtual reality, so I can do a scuba dive down to the bottom of Mariana Trench. Or I guess pills I can take to stop ongassing so I don't have to worry about deco (or perhaps The Abyss aliens method) and ones that can make me breathe water so I don't have to be always trying to get my tanks filled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom