22' Great White in 10' deep lake....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBAJENNIFER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HOLY CRAP!!

Seaside town on alert after 'Jaws' sighting - Asia-Pacific - MSNBC.com

Seaside town on alert after 'Jaws' sighting
22-foot Great White Shark escapes after being netted in Australian lake
CANBERRA, Australia - A seaside town has been placed on alert after a 22-foot Great White Shark was sighted in a shallow lake, with police already calling it "Jaws."

The shark, which normally prefers deeper and colder offshore waters, was caught by a commercial fisherman casting nets on Tuggerah Lake, which opens to the Pacific Ocean some 60 miles north of Sydney.

But its huge size forced the fisherman to release his net, Entrance region police chief Tim Winmill said.

'It's a big one'
"The shark was bigger than the guy's 18-foot boat and he could clearly see its head and tail above the water," Winmill told Reuters.

"It's a big one, like Jaws," he added.

More than 50,000 people live in the lakeside area, which is popular with retirees and vacationers.

Tuggerah Lake is only about 10 feet deep and 7.5 miles long.

Great Whites can weigh up to 5,000 lbs. and are common off southern Australia, South Africa, California and Mexico, where they prey normally on seals, dolphins and tuna.

In director Steven Spielberg's 1975 Oscar-winning popular thriller "Jaws," a Great White Shark terrorizes a summer resort, prompting the police chief to enlist the help of a marine biologist and professional shark hunter to end the attacks.

Wow... Anyone wanna dive in there first? :D

I knew there was a reason I didn't like diving fresh water!

I can just imagine two guys out in a little row boat, sharing a 6 pack or two, not expecting to catch much more than maybe a few bass, and toss back a few sunnies and just havign a nice quiet day and then (cue music...dum dum dum dum dum dum) "HOLY S***!"

Great stuff!

I think we're going to need a bigger Lake.

What this really means is that the shark can do a nose stand and wave its tail at all the people on shore. :rofl3:

Last night on PBS was a segment about a similar lake in South Africa. The noted that sharks did some into the lake - even talking about a couple sitting in water getting munched. Now I have to admit that they were also profiling a croc so it might have been him who did the munching. But sharks will come into shallow brackish waters.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom