22' Great White in 10' deep lake....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Farewell and adue you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and adue you ladies of Spain...
I miss Robert Shaw.
Seriously, I hope he makes out into open sea and somebody doesn't try to kill him. He has more to fear from us than we from him. I wish somebody could get some decent photos of this King of the Sea.

imagine you go to a lake to get away from the stresses of daily life. you're just chilling out, enjoying your vacation. there you are you're not worrying about taking care of the family, putting food on your table, nor even about your job. when suddenly there's a commotion in the water, your idyll has now been ruined.

darn those fisherman--how is a shark supposed to get some r&r?

I looked it up on google earth. The satellite photos show many sand bars around a narrow channel, but the linked photos clearly show an entrance that is more than deep enough at high tide to accomodate a 22' shark.

Given that the "lake" is also more or less a small sound that has become mostly landlocked behind the sand spit, it is still a brackish tidal basin and is still open to the sea. I could see a great white swimming in there, and then also leaving unnoticed.

I was wondering what the tidal swing was there.... if it's a pretty big difference I could see that.

just wonder what would make a great white, especially one that big, want to have to belly through the sand to see what's up that inlet....

What concerns me is the fact that they are already calling it "Jaws". That is a sure guarantee that they're going to kill it. I can't believe that it's 2008 and people keep referring to that movie. Don't get me wrong I love the movie but it did a hellofalot of damage. Even the writer now is into saving sharks...... maybe that helps him sleep at night

I can't imagine that it would be all that enjoyable for a shark that size to cruise around in 10' of water for very long. I couldn't find anything else on it this morning, so hopefully he found his way back out and is gone.

But I bet no one goes swimming in there for a VERY long time!!! :wink:

For those at all interested...This thread reminded me of a phenomenal book I read some years ago.

0767904133.jpg

About the shark attacks of 1916, where many animals came creeping up through the brackish waters of the coast and into fresh water rivers/ponds.

Very well written.

But didn't they prove a few years ago that those attacks were actually Bull sharks? Not whites...I think I saw it on either Discovery or Animal Planet.

I miss Robert Shaw.

Ah, we all do. What a colorful character.

But we have Dr. Bill! Seafaring diver extraordinaire who's avatar pic even has a Robert Shaw-esque resemblence. :D

But didn't they prove a few years ago that those attacks were actually Bull sharks? Not whites...I think I saw it on either Discovery or Animal Planet.
That would make sense. Bull sharks frequently travel up into rivers & lakes. They can adapt to freshwater. The "Lake Nicaragua sharks" are actually bull sharks.

What concerns me is the fact that they are already calling it "Jaws". That is a sure guarantee that they're going to kill it. I can't believe that it's 2008 and people keep referring to that movie. Don't get me wrong I love the movie but it did a hellofalot of damage. Even the writer now is into saving sharks...... maybe that helps him sleep at night

Maybe not, Whites are endangered and protected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom