22" or 24" primary regulator hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flybigjet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Tweaking my gear a bit; I'd like a shorter primary regulator hose, but don't want it to restrict range of motion (i.e. I still want to be able to turn my head fully to the left).

Would you recommend a 22" or a 24" hose?

Thanks!

R.

Best way is to try it out.

But probably at least 24"

Sounds about right. Research seems to say that 22" works, but 24" is preferred.

R.

Way too many variables to answer this. What length do you have now?
Variables? Standard primary (although I think I'm going to replace with a new one), standard regulator (right hand mount). Separate onto. Not interested in setting up as a tec rig.

I have a 29-30" on right now, but I'm tired of getting the outer edge of the loop consistently hitting something when I pass close by.

Confused now.

R.

Variables? Standard primary (although I think I'm going to replace with a new one), standard regulator (right hand mount). Separate onto. Not interested in setting up as a tec rig.

I have a 29-30" on right now, but I'm tired of getting the outer edge of the loop consistently hitting something when I pass close by.

Confused now.

R.

How long is your octo?

One other question while we're on the hose topic--

What do you call the rubber strain relief hose covers that abut up against the primary? And the one's that abut the regulator? I don't know what they're called, so can't find them online.

(Yes, I know the "cool" people don't bother with them, but they help keep miflex hoses unkinked when they're looped up for travel-- and I pull them down the hose and away from the metal fittings when I rinse and store my first stage, second stage, octo).

Thanks!

R.

Ok, have you considered the streamlined open water setup?

Pick up an elbow for a few bucks at Dive Gear Express and make your octo the primary routed under your arm and then pick up a 22"-24" hose for your secondary reg on a bungeed necklace.

This is a fantastic setup, IME. Keep in mind you will now be a primary donor. If your buddy is OOG you donate the working primary from your mouth and then switch to your necklaced second that is always right where it should be, next to your mouth.

dr_aowregkit_scubamagemailwriteup_002.jpg

The only other consideration I had was running a 48" primary hose with a short 22-24" octo on a necklace. But, I"m not sure how the octo on a necklace would work-- I'd think that it would tend to float up and keep hitting me at the base of my chin or get in the way when I'm horizontal and looking down. Maybe I'm wrong on that?

R.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom