22" or 24" primary regulator hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One other question while we're on the hose topic--

What do you call the rubber strain relief hose covers that abut up against the primary? And the one's that abut the regulator? I don't know what they're called, so can't find them online.

(Yes, I know the "cool" people don't bother with them, but they help keep miflex hoses unkinked when they're looped up for travel-- and I pull them down the hose and away from the metal fittings when I rinse and store my first stage, second stage, octo).

Thanks!

R.

Google, Scuba Hose Protector.

Ok, have you considered the streamlined open water setup?

Pick up an elbow for a few bucks at Dive Gear Express and make your octo the primary routed under your arm and then pick up a 22"-24" hose for your secondary reg on a bungees necklace.

This is a fantastic setup, IME. Keep in mind you will now be a primary donor. If your buddy is OOG you donate the working primary from your mouth and then switch to your necklaced second that is always right where it should be, next to your mouth.

Heh. I just posted about this.

The issue (for me) is that I'm not fond of the "under the arm" primary-- I've found that even with a swivel, it tends to drag on the regulator (personal experience). My only other thought would be to run a 48" first stage-- run it straight down from the primary, around your belly, up behind your left arm and over your right shoulder. I've historically run my rig as a primary donor for years, so that's no worry. But, then if I went this way, the question becomes how long to run the octo hose to the necklace. And since I live in a landlocked state, it's tough to go out and try various combinations-- I have to do research and hope I get it right the first time.

R.

The only other consideration I had was running a 48" primary hose with a short 22-24" octo on a necklace. But, I"m not sure how the octo on a necklace would work-- I'd think that it would tend to float up and keep hitting me at the base of my chin or get in the way when I'm horizontal and looking down.

R.
I haven't heard of that being much of an issue. You could route both of them under your arm, but you need to be conscious that you don't some how get them twisted.

I think @Diving Dubai uses two 40" hoses. Not sure how he routes them.

At the end of the day you are wearing gear so it should be expected that you're going to notice it somewhat throughout a dive. :)

I think Dubai has them one from either side. So one from left, one from right.

I would not put both on the same side. Better to avoid the chance of twisting.

Well, my easy question has gotten harder. Since I'm in the market to replace my old back-inflate Zeagle Escape (maybe a bp&w?) and am going to replace my regulator rig, I need to think about this-- there's a certain amount of chicken vs. egg here. What bc/bp&w I run will determine somewhat how I run the hoses. And the pictures posted of the Dive Rite setup were very helpful-- I didn't realize that the necklaces hung down more towards your chest strap. That might work. .

Still debating the 4' primary hose-- I see the advantage (I just got back from Truk, so wrecks are fun), but I'm going to have to mock up a 4' hose to see how it would fit and if it gets in the way. I just don't know if I want to go with a more "tec-y" setup, or stick with a more traditional setup (24" primary, 39" octo on the side)-- most of the penetrations I do are "light-zone", and I've rarely (other than Truk) been in a position where I'd need a long octo hose.

Thanks to all! You've given me a lot to think about!

R.

Last edited:
the necklaces can be varying lengths, but they are supposed to be at a height that you can reach it without your hands.

primary donate is a vastly superior and safer regulator configuration than secondary donate or take. How you rig it is up to you, but it may be worth looking at a 7' hose since any drag is going to be supported by your neck instead of your mouth

Your choice of bp/w brand should not matter that much to your hose routing. Your inflator should not change and nothing else matters that much

I am a big fan of the streamlined ow setup shown in the DR video. I have rigs for my kids all set up that way, with the only exception being the addition of a 5' or 7' primary hose. ( I would not bother with a 4' hose). With either version of the long hose, you should get used to the concept of wrapping the primary hose around your neck and using either a swivel or 90* el

I am possibly going to take a contrarian position on this issue. But, given the fact that you are giving consideration to changing your rig, perhaps it will help.

First, you refer to a short hose for your ‘primary’. I would argue that this is a very bad idea – in an OOA you will (want to) donate your ‘primary’ and you do not want a short hose. In fact, you want one long enough to allow comfortable sharing of air. A 40” hose is sufficient – that is actually one of the most common hose lengths for alternate air sources in ‘conventional’ regulator set ups. Some people (and I am one of them) prefer a longer hose – 60”, even 72”. But, a 40” primary is probably the minimum length you want.

Second, the Dive Rite picture shows the ALTERNATE second stage on a shorter hose (with a bungee necklace) and NOT the PRIMARY. As an aside, I personally consider the bungee necklace that the diver in the picture is using to be WAY too long. You should be able to put your chin down and almost (or actually) grab the mouthpiece on the alternate second stage with your mouth – so you could get it in your mouth without using your hands. I know, it sounds like it might be cumbersome. But it is not. In a true OOA situation, if you donate your primary – the proper, and best, procedure, by the way - it is comforting to know that all you have to do is put your hand on your neck, and you will, without fail be putting your hand on the alternate second stage that you need to put in your mouth.

Third, if your question really address the proper length for your alternate second stage – the one on the bun gee necklace, I agree with several posters that you need to determine that for you own ‘size;. But, 24” should be adequate.

Fourth, several posters have suggested the option of running your (longer) primary hose under your right arm, and your response was that it seems to pull the second stage down (to the right, presumably). If you haven’t tried a 70 degree adapter (some refer to it as a 110 degree adapter), I strongly recommend that you do so (70 Degree Swivel Adapter, LP 2nd Stage: 9/16-Inch M x 9/16-Inch F). It really does solve the ‘pulling down’ sensation, and it is quite inexpensive. Some people prefer a 90 degree elbow (90 Degree Swivel Adapter, LP 2nd Stage: 9/16-Inch M x 9/16-Inch F ) (I find that to be a bit awkward) or a full 360 degree swivel (OmniSwivel LP 2nd Stage: 9/16-Inch F = 9/16-Inch M ) (a great option, but a good one is expensive, and you DO NOT want to buy a cheap one). But, my point is, don’t dismiss the idea of an adapter until, you try one.

I have an air2 setup, but when my Son needed me and I took the reg from my mouth and pushed it into his it felt natural and I was confident that I was giving him a good reg. I feel that if I had an octo at the time I would have still instinctively given him my primary instead of hopefully reaching for an octo because him being okay was most important. I did learn that I want my primary hose longer so that we wouldn't have to swim like we were joined at birth.

84". I don't even notice it underwater. It doesn't stick out and snag kelp or other obstructions like a shorter hose. It's extremely easy to share air without having to hold onto your buddy. You can even swim side by side or single file. My octo is on a bungee directly under my chin where I can reach it and keep it from dangling, dragging and know if it ever free flows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom