22" or 24" primary regulator hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last (hopefully) question: If you're running a 60" long hose, would a swivel be required?

There's only about $12 difference between 40" and 60", so I'm back to pondering.

I *really* wish I could try both combinations, but with where I live and that's just not practical.

R.

I would not look at a 60" hose unless you are diving a jacket bc. I know there are a lot of people on here that like them, but I have no use for them because the bottom part is not retained by anything.

What you need to do is contact @boulderjohn and see if he can help you. He's in the area, and may be nice enough to let you try the different hose lengths. Not sure if he has any 60's, but I know he has at least 40's and 84's. He's in your neck of the woods, and it would be worth figuring out if you guys can find time to get in a pool together for you to try the different options

There's only about $12 difference between 40" and 60",
It's funny, but I notice some sort of a strange psychological phenomenon among some divers, including especially myself, when it comes to price differences. We pay thousands of dollars for our overall gear package, and we then make do on some of the smaller issues in order to save a couple of bucks. When it comes to issues like this, if you make the wrong choice in order to save the price of cocktail before dinner, you will regret it every time you dive.

What you need to do is contact @boulderjohn and see if he can help you. He's in the area, and may be nice enough to let you try the different hose lengths. Not sure if he has any 60's, but I know he has at least 40's and 84's. He's in your neck of the woods, and it would be worth figuring out if you guys can find time to get in a pool together for you to try the different options
I don't have 60" hose. I borrowed one once from a friend while diving with a dry suit and fluffy undergarments in Puget Sound, and it was too short for me. I use an 84" hose for all my diving. When I am diving with a canister light, the bottom end tucks securely behind the canister. When I am not diving with a canister light, I slide a knife on the webbing to achieve the same benefit. I like the ideas of using the same gear on all the rigs I dive, but I also like the fact that no matter what, if I am in an OOA situation, we will be able to go single file if the situation calls for it.

I will be very happy to dive with you locally, but I am currently in Florida, and I will be there until near the end of March.

Ok-- so after spending WAY more time last night researching, I've more or less come to these conclusions (which of course, breeds more questions).

1. The 5'/6'/7' hose is simply overkill for the type of diving I'll be doing in the near future. The "streamlined open water" is more practical for my purposes at the moment. If/when I go back to Truk, I can easily swap out a longer hose.

2. I'm going to give the under the arm primary routing a shot-- I'll be using a miflex hose with an Omni 360 degree swivel (spendy, but seems to be the most optimal of the bunch).

2a. Query: Omni 360-- the way to go with underarm setup, or would a 90/70/110 be better? I like the idea of it being able to swivel to an OOA diver.

2b: Query: My options on hose length are 40" and 36"; I don't think that 4" would make a huge difference in an OOA situation, especially with the Omni swivel. Looking at a lot of pictures last night, it looks in some like the 40" bulges out vertically when used under the arm. Since I do use my shoulder harness d-clips (second clip-off for camera or GoPro rig when transiting to keep hands free), that's a minor concern. Has anyone tried 36" in an under the arm configuration? I'm 6', 190 lbs if that makes a difference.

3. I'll set up my Octo as a necklace, again with miflex hose. My options are 18" or 22" for hose length. I'm leaning towards 22" over the 18" as that will give it a bit of play in the stowed/necklace position?

4. And, with all of this research, now I have to convince my wife (i.e. diving buddy) to swap to whatever configuration I end up with (which will of course, almost double the cost)-- she's currently running an inline octo off of her bc hose. She likes it and isn't exactly excited to swap. My fallback is to get her to switch to a "traditional" octo, although she's a grumble-bunny about that as well.

Again, thanks to all-- you've given me a LOT to think about!

R.
Regarding your point 1. Do you think it is a good plan to dive a setup for ages, go on a big trip and change?

The hog loop works well at storing the hose. At your height a 7ft hose will certainly work. A knife on the right hip helps, although stuffing the hose under the waist band also works.

I use a 7ft hose whether I'm diving in a drysuit in cold water or warm water in shorts and T-shirt. It's as streamlined as you can get because it stays against you, it's easier to share air if you ever need to and you don't have to waste money on additional items like swivels. I keep a pair of shears on my right side rather than a canister light and simply tuck the hose under the sheath.

Dogpile! I just ordered the 7' hose with my regs from Deep6. If you hang out here long you will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. The only downside I see is managing the length on the boat but heck, that is an issue with the 40" hose.

Regarding your point 1. Do you think it is a good plan to dive a setup for ages, go on a big trip and change?

Sure, why not? :wink:

Kidding, just kidding. I truly appreciate all of the differing points of view-- you've all brought up very good points.

I just got back from a huge trip (Guam-Palau-Truk) using (more or less) what I've been using for years (plus an additional octo); I'm going to do a bit of refresher training with my wife (she's getting her Rescue done-- I'm going to tag along as the crash test dummy) in March, and then Turks in October (welcome to being landlocked), so having a fair while off between dives is sadly sort of how my life works.

If I can swap back and forth between airplanes (and all those confusing lights and buttons and switches!), I'm pretty sure that I can figure out that my secondary air source is in a slightly more convenient place. If you're talking about swapping to a longer hose-- well, that's what practice dives are for before the "main event", innit? Truk isn't exactly something that you decide to do next weekend-- best guess is that I'm three years out before going again-- plenty of time to play with (i.e. get instruction on) a different hose configuration during a few dives prior (it would give me something to do in Guam, anyway). Besides, I'm not certain there's a huge amount of difference in the fundamental mechanics between streamlined and long hose OOA situations-- you're still giving away your primary air source, you still have to get the primary hose out from under your right arm, and you're still reaching for your secondary air source around your neck. The only significant differences that I can see in mechanics is the loop around the head and prepping the gear pre-dive; both of those are certainly trainable with a reasonable degree of lead-time before a big trip. Admittedly, you can't swim side by side, but since I won't be doing anything except non-enclosed/overhead environments, that's less of an issue than it could be.

One other consideration is that my wife wants to mirror my configuration; fair enough (but spendy) and she (at this point) absolutely has no interest in a long hose. She's just not interested in tec-ish diving (although she does want to do Truk again). Since she's the Minister of War and Finance, she sort of gets a controlling vote-- I had to talk a lot today to get her to buy off on the streamlined configuration since she's very comfortable with what she currently uses. I'm calling that a win (and by "win", I mean doubling the cost of the new regs and hoses I was going to buy.)

The bottom line is that although I'm more "tec" inclined (translation: if I lived somewhere where I could do tec consistently with a partner), my wife isn't. She wants our gear to be rigged the same, and since she's my primary dive partner (and significantly less experienced), I see wisdom in that. If I lived in the Pacific and got to indulge on my off days, I'd be all over long hoses and twin tanks. However, the reality is that other than a bit of tec-flavored diving every 3-5 years (i.e. Truk), most of our diving is Resort based or Liveaboard. At this juncture, I think the streamlined system makes the most sense for the two of us.

Again, a huge THANK YOU to everyone; I've learned a lot, and considered (and reconsidered) a few things I thought I was happy with. That's kind of a Good Thing.

R.

Last edited:
There are a lot of different long hose setups referred to in this thread. Regarding a long hose being too long, snagging, etc, or a bungied hose not hanging properly, it's not an issue if it's placed in the most optimal way. I am very petite and wear and use a 7 foot hose no problem, like many other petite females. On the average man, especially in a drysuit and/or doubles, there often isn't even extra hose around them when placed correctly.

My setup is the same as the picture tbone posted of Bob Sherwood in post #38, which is a typical Global Underwater Explorers (GUE) setup, behind and around the neck to your mouth. No swivels, no snags, just a clean, streamlined open water or overhead setup. Mine is with a wetsuit and a single tank, and can also be used with double tanks, as seen in the picture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom