#24 and #36 cave line question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talk to your instructor about the primary reel. I advise my students to not buy a primary reel until after class. I have a Ralph Hood, Halcyon, and Dive Rite that I let them try during class so they don't make the same mistake I made and end up with 3 primary reels!

So which is your favorite?

I would not use a dive-rite reel for anything life support. Too many damn plastic pieces with a long history of them falling apart in people's hands - esp. when the little C-clip comes off.

Thankfully I never bought the DR primary, I learned my lesson with one of their jump reels.

Talk to your instructor about the primary reel. I advise my students to not buy a primary reel until after class. I have a Ralph Hood, Halcyon, and Dive Rite that I let them try during class so they don't make the same mistake I made and end up with 3 primary reels!

That's pretty cool of you.

I don't see why anyone would buy a reel other than a light monkey or halcyon. That's just me tho.

The LM reels have the set screw on the "wrong" side (IMO). We have both the Halcyon and Salvo ones, where the screw is next to the line guard. Much easier/cleaner to secure the line.

I don't see why anyone would buy a reel other than a light monkey or halcyon. That's just me tho.

Those Larry Greens with frame and handle incorporated are a darn good idea.
Stainless is good.
Reversing line is good too. If you live in a quiet street.
Or live on a golf course.

I would not use a dive-rite reel for anything life support. Too many damn plastic pieces with a long history of them falling apart in people's hands - esp. when the little C-clip comes off.

I have replaced all of the parts except the spool and the metal handle.

The LM reels have the set screw on the "wrong" side (IMO). We have both the Halcyon and Salvo ones, where the screw is next to the line guard. Much easier/cleaner to secure the line.

Too each his own. I don't have a LM but I do actually like the set screw away from the line guard.

I have replaced all of the parts except the spool and the metal handle.

What are you holding the spool onto the "axle" with? That little c-clip they use is a disaster, they can pop off and the reel just instantly goes to pieces.

My primary reel is a Larry Green/ Ralph Hood.

What are you holding the spool onto the "axle" with? That little c-clip they use is a disaster, they can pop off and the reel just instantly goes to pieces.

I noticed that. I broke the whole axle apart, removed the derilin handle piece and replaced it all with a SS lag bolt (I think 5/8" diameter). On the head end I placed a metal washer followed by a slightly bigger OD nylon washer, the spool, another nylon washer, and a 1" nylon spacer. I screwed this assembly into the SS handle and placed a SS lock washer on the outside. I then adjusted the tension to the same on my LG/RH reel.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom