24" HP Hose for Pressure Guage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mheaster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I had previously ordered and installed most of the hose from a Halcyon (Single Tank) hose kit but I find the Pressure Guage hose just a bit too short! I am not a terribly big guy but I am 6'1" tall. Anyone else find this hose to be quite short? I normally wear a 5/7mm wetsuit and it is not really bulky at all. i have taken to clipping it off to my left shoulder D Ring when nothing else is there and I can read it at all times without unsnapping it (just look down)

I don't use a long hose at this stage (don't crucify me here) YET. Still getting hang of BP/Wing.

It's more than likely how you have the hose routed. It should come off the reg and go straight down along the tank and clip to your waist D-ring. Your waist D-ring should be right in the middle of your body (as viewed from the side).

I'm 6'2" and it's plenty long.

24" is spec for doubles, as the HP port is usually over on the left hand side and already pointing down. Using a single tank usually results in the HP port being centered and pointing off to the side, requiring a little bit more hose.

Get a 26" hose if you need it. Order the other hoses at the same time.

I'm 5'8 and dive the 130 single. No whay a 24" is long enough. I've been diving a 28" for years. Works great.

Just moved to doubles... WOW. 28" way too long. Back to a 24" - perfect.

Like all of the DIR spec hose lengths - this stuff was set up for Doubles. Some people make it work for singles. I can't.

Get a longer hose.

---
Ken

Yes, using a 26" is quite common for a single hose rig. I am 6'3", and while a 24" will work on my doubles (just barely), I use a 26" on my single hose rigs.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

I read this on the Diveriteexpress website when I was debating hose length:

"Technical divers almost always carry a standalone SPG clipped off to the left waist D-ring. For use with double cylinder configurations, the typical HP-hose length is 24 inches although some divers find that length slightly too short. It's almost always too short when used with a single cylinder configuration. Many divers clipping to their waist D-ring find a HP-hose length of 26 inches to work well with both singles and doubles. Cave and wreck divers also remove the SPG boot for the same reason they remove the cylinder boot, because the boot surfaces have been known to ratchet divers into tight spots making extraction difficult."

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/regs/spgsonly.shtml

I opted for the 26" hose, and it's perfect for me on a single tank rig.

mheaster:
I had previously ordered and installed most of the hose from a Halcyon (Single Tank) hose kit but I find the Pressure Guage hose just a bit too short! I am not a terribly big guy but I am 6'1" tall. Anyone else find this hose to be quite short? I normally wear a 5/7mm wetsuit and it is not really bulky at all. i have taken to clipping it off to my left shoulder D Ring when nothing else is there and I can read it at all times without unsnapping it (just look down)

I don't use a long hose at this stage (don't crucify me here) YET. Still getting hang of BP/Wing.

I am a fairly large person at 6'. I use 26" for my singles setup. It is pretty much RIGHT for me. But for doubles, I use 24" as they come straight off the left post.

Just putting my 2 cents worth in here. I'm 6'4. The spg is a tight fit and hard to manipulate, while waiting to get a new hose the buddy I was diving with had me extend the boltsnap with a double ender. Nice temp fix and will let you know if you need the longer hose.

Some people are tall but have short torsos, others are short and have long torsos so height isn't the factor as much as torso length.

I am curious as to why height has anything to do with this. Wouldn't the size of the tank have everything to do wit this, since the SPG comes off the 1st stage and connects to the D-ring on your left hand side on your waist belt? Isn't the measurement from the 1st stage to that D-ring all that matters? If a 5'5" person and a 6'5" person were wearing the same equipment I don't see why height would be an issue.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom