24 hrs to fly???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pwert

Reaction score
I had an older mares computer... the genius, which I accidentally destroyed, see earlier posts...anyway this computer did not automatically go to 24 hrs before allowing me to fly... I prefer a very liberal computer such as this and have used it for years without any problems.... I am looking for a similar computer and was wondering if anyone had suggestions.. air integrated, wrist, or console are all fine.. The new watch types look like the best solution, but I think they might be too conservative.

The Oceanic / Aeris computers will be the most liberal. Check out the Versa Pro, Atmos 2, for wrist computers, the Aeris AI or DataMax Pro Plus for air integrated console, or the VT Pro and Elite if you want air integrated wrist.

And the Oceanic Atom Watch air integrated computer uses the same algorithm as the others - allowing a 60' dive for 57 minutes.

pwert:
I had an older mares computer... the genius, which I accidentally destroyed, see earlier posts...anyway this computer did not automatically go to 24 hrs before allowing me to fly... I prefer a very liberal computer such as this and have used it for years without any problems.... I am looking for a similar computer and was wondering if anyone had suggestions.. air integrated, wrist, or console are all fine.. The new watch types look like the best solution, but I think they might be too conservative.

Every dive computer I know of has a "time to fly" feature; doesn't that tell you something? Maybe you should do a little research before buying; start with the DAN site and read what they have to say about flying after diving, then do some searches here for threads from people that have suffered DCS, then maybe search for the many threads that discuss the different algorithms that make computers liberal or conservative. Then you'll be in a much more informed position to not only buy a computer, but use it with some safety.

Not trying to be snitty here, but your post raises a few red flags to me. Have fun reading!

mattboy... If you will read all the words in my post, you would see that I am not asking for a computer without a time to fly feature... that would be ridiculous... I am simply asking for a computer similar to the one I have used and trusted sucessfully for 7+ years of 2 dive trips per year (which included flying) and many other local dives... Many computers automatically go to 24 hrs to fly after getting wet this is what I do not want..

ScubaToys... thanks for the good info

Larry is not quite correct. Cochran units are more liberal, but can be made less so by adding "Conservatisim". In those units, Time To Fly is Time To Desat plus 12 hours.

MikeCochran:
Larry is not quite correct. Cochran units are more liberal, but can be made less so by adding "Conservatisim". In those units, Time To Fly is Time To Desat plus 12 hours.

Yes, the Cochran will allow a 60 for 59 when set liberal... I just didn't consider them a "watch types" as it is a pretty large wrist unit compared to the Atom. But if looking for large and liberal, you can't beat the cochran... or actually, you can beat it... with a stick, a rock, park your car on it... etc.:wink: And it will keep ticking!

pwert:
mattboy... If you will read all the words in my post, you would see that I am not asking for a computer without a time to fly feature... that would be ridiculous... I am simply asking for a computer similar to the one I have used and trusted sucessfully for 7+ years of 2 dive trips per year (which included flying) and many other local dives... Many computers automatically go to 24 hrs to fly after getting wet this is what I do not want..

ScubaToys... thanks for the good info

Actually, I did read all the words in your posts, and if you were to read your own post from the perspective of someone else, who does not know you or what you were thinking, but only what was written, I think you'd have a similar response to mine. You mentioned nothing about wanting less than 24 hrs time to fly, only that you did not want a computer with an automatic 24hr timer. You also said "The new watch types look like the best solution, but I think they might be too conservative." This statement is indicative of not understanding basic things about dive computers; wrist or console has nothing to do with a computer's liberal or conservative algorithm.

Sorry for misunderstanding your post.

I haven't seen a computer with less than a 24 hour time-to-fly countdown.

Although I believe that "24 hours" is an outside variable, I doubt that the computer manufacturers' lawyers believe this; hence they all come with 24 hous on the clock....

Just subtract the hours if you want something more liberal.

All the best, James

My Seiko manufactured Dive Rite (NiTek3) and Tusa (IQ-700) computers have a countdown to theoretical desaturation per the algorithm used by the dive computer (in this case Buhlmann variants) and the no-fly symbol is displayed whenever such time is greater than zero on the TUSA, or a minimum of 12 hours (from the Apeks Quantum manual - better written Englih version). The NiTek3 is from an era that including such a symbol would have been assumed superfluous - it just shows the time to desaturation without also showing a little jet with a diagonal slash across it. Neither one shows a simple 24 hour countdown.

Both can show less, or more, than 24 hours depending on the dive profiles and breathing mixes used during the dives they were taken on. For me, I prefer that to a simple 24 hour timer, but that's just me - I'm a data freak. If it's showing for example 26 hours to desat two hours before the final afternoon dive opportunity on a trip, I'll typically not go on the final afternoon dive if the departure time of our return flight is 24 hours away from that final window time at that point. Just a personal choice.

There is verbiage in their respective owners' manuals to evidently appease the attorneys thus far. There's stuff about time to desaturation is not (necessarily) 'the same as time to fly'. Such computers have been out in the dive industry for a number of years now (go back along the Dive Rite family tree) that don't come with a simple 24 hour countdown timer. But neither of these models are typically considered a 'liberal' computer when discussing the algorithm used.

To me, there's no single dive worth me taking additional risk of getting bent during the return flight. If the time to desat shows less than 24 hours, I'll still typically make sure I don't leave less than 24 hours between end of last dive and scheduled departure time. Just my preference. OTOH, if time to desat was 26 hours, and the computer was programmed to 'automatically' add 12 hours to that, I personally would probably choose a different offering - again just me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom