25% wipes and 100% spray will that keep the skeeters away??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW- this CDC publication discussing DEET as protection against malaria says "Higher concentrations of DEET may have a longer repellent effect, however, concentrations over 50% provide no added protection."

Health Canada has only approved 30% maximum DEET concentration for adults and 10% for children 6 months and older.

To be clear, I'm not in the anti-DEET camp. I use it as mentioned in my previous post. But I've tried 100%, have found it to be nasty stuff, and have since learned it's probably overkill for typical Bonaire application. (E.g. a few hours outside in the evening or morning.) It's also considerably more expensive.

I somehow found it ironic that the Off I bought in Bonaire was labeled: "repels Mosquitoes that may carry West Nile Virus".

FWIW- this CDC publication discussing DEET as protection against malaria says "Higher concentrations of DEET may have a longer repellent effect, however, concentrations over 50% provide no added protection."

Health Canada has only approved 30% maximum DEET concentration for adults and 10% for children 6 months and older.

To be clear, I'm not in the anti-DEET camp. I use it as mentioned in my previous post. But I've tried 100%, have found it to be nasty stuff, and have since learned it's probably overkill for typical Bonaire application. (E.g. a few hours outside in the evening or morning.) It's also considerably more expensive.

I got the 100% cheap on Amazon, but it's like baby oil. I have 30% wipes, and 30% sawer lotion that we will start with. However, my daughter was chewed in our garage in So Cal last night while packing our scuba kit so they REALLY love her blood - we'll keep the 100% in reserve for extreme needs even if it's nasty and not all that much more effective than 50%!

Oh, and 10 DAYS LEFT!!! WOOOO!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom