27 - female -solo - ambergris caye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cm77:
- Not only am I totally uncertain that this is the place for a solo traveler to go - nyc

Of all the places and countries I lived and visited I believe that the people of Belize are the friendliest I have ever encountered. When they ask you how you are doing, it's not just a greeting...they really want to know and will talk very openly with you. Maybe because the whole country, with the exception of Belize City, is like a small town. No worries. Go and have a great time. I would invite you to come and dive with me in Placencia but my hot blooded Honduran lady might not like it. Hank

peterbj7:
Incidentally, can you or anyone else tell me what constitutes the "western hemisphere"? I know the "northern", but where does "east" meet "west"?

Western hemisphere generally refers to the Americas and Europe, elsewhere "there be monsters and dragons". Turkey, Lebanon, Israel and Egypt, tend to be refered to as the middle east or persia so kinda delineate the boundary.

So which hemisphere is Hawaii in?

Consider Turneffe Island. Turneffe Island Lodge is likely to be cushy enough for you. More at http://www.turneffelodge.com . I will be going for a week in December. It costs about the same as a live aboard but you have a wider variety of activities.

If all you want to do is dive (5 times a day) a liveaboard like the Nekton is cushy dive heaven.

Hey cm77!! If you are still reading this thread, I am looking for a travel partner for a diving trip around thanksgiving. If you have any plans and would like a travel mate or would like to meet up somewhere, I would love to chat. I'm still working on convincing my sis to come but its not looking good. I was actually thinking of trying to get down to Roatan. Well let me know.

I haven't been to Ambergris Caye since '94 but I remember it as being a really friendly island with sandy streets. I was staying in Xcalak, Mexico at the time and arrived in AC in a panga via Boca Bacalar Chico, the narrow cut in the mangroves that separates the island from Mexico. The diving was great.

When I worked on a liveaboard we had many guests who were newly certified, and referrals we certified during the trip. We kept an eye on everybody of course but always payed special attention to the new divers. Usually when you first arrive at any dive op you have an opportunity to discuss your comfort zone with them but if you definately want the one on one experience you should organize that with them before you book.

Women travelling solo just need to use common sense. Although, I left my common sense behind when I travelled all over Europe for 5 months by myself and I survived. I was looking for trouble.

peterbj7 - here is the hemisphere info http://worldatlas.com/aatlas/imageh.htm

peterbj7:
So which hemisphere is Hawaii in?

well the international date line is to the west of it, so that would probably put it in the western hemisphere, but I wouldnt want to get nitpicky, it is more of a general reference than anything

I will put in my 2 cents worth and say that Protech Belize does indeed provide very personal service for all levels of divers.

-Ron

I didn't comment on the apparent "death" that was subsequently withdrawn (don't know that I regard that error as minor). Anywhere these days there is some risk of violence or robbery, to a greater or lesser degree, but I would say Ambergris Caye is safer for anyone alone at any time of day or night than most places in NYC in the middle of the day. Furthermore, there is no culture here to hassle women (or indeed anyone) for sexual or theft motives. We have three (unrelated) single women diving with us at present and none of them feels remotely threatened.

I do feel that posting, admitted to be wrong in its most significant aspect, is unfair, misleading and potentially damaging. It should be unreservedly withdrawn.

freefall2:
peterbj7 - here is the hemisphere info http://worldatlas.com/aatlas/imageh.htm
This map seems to be from an American perspective, as it places Europe in the East and I doubt you'll find many Europeans who will agree with that. Seems to underline that although North-South is well-defined, East-West isn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom