28% Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

36% I can only dive to 90 feet before reaching 1.4ata, 30% is 103 feet before reaching ata. I do not plan on exceeding 1.4 ata since I have no need for tech or deco diving. Maybe I am new at this but according to these PADI charts I have, that is what I am reading unless I bought an old kit.

MOD != Bottom Time (NDL)

You seem confused.

36% I can only dive to 90 feet before reaching 1.4ata, 30% is 103 feet before reaching ata. I do not plan on exceeding 1.4 ata since I have no need for tech or deco diving. Maybe I am new at this but according to these PADI charts I have, that is what I am reading unless I bought an old kit.

At any given depth, more O2 = more NDL time.

You're confusing the issue by comparing the NDL of one mix at its MOD to the NDL of another mix at its NDL. Compare them at the same depth.

Hi James,

In answer to your question, I am not aware of any commercial available nitrox tables that cover 28% EAN.

The lack of tables notwithstanding, 28% is a common mix for diving to 40m. We use it all the time.

So most people just use EAD calculations or dive planning software to work out the NDL.

For example, the EAD of 28% EAN at 40m is about 36m. So if you planned your dive with an equivalent air depth of 36m you'd be on the money.

Because it is more conservative I prefer to convert to EAD and use the air table as a reference then plan as if diving on air. Maybe I cheat myself out of some bottom time but I am rewarded with a far more conservative dive and if I happen to want more bottom time during the dive for whatever reason I have that in my back pocket. Take your course from whatever training agency and then read and re-read the Navy Dive Manual (rev6). I have been planning and diving the Navy tables for over thirty years with great success and have never once had a problem. It depends on your motivation for diving Nitrox..... Do you want more bottom time, more margin of safety, more certificates, more math...... only each diver can decide that for him/herself. Just find someone with more experience if you don't understand something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom