2nd annual Good Friday dive at Mt.Storm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Last year was the first year for our(Washington Scuba Center) now annual dive at Mt Storm on Good Friday.:D Weather was a little chilly (35 degrees air) and the water was 53 at surface and I recorded 48 at 90 ft. Needed to brush a little ice off of gear for second dive and was snowing pretty good by the third.:14: We will be going down again this year and perhaps it will be a little nicer being that it's in april as opposed to march. I personally am considering going down Thursday evening after work and staying at the Mountaineer to get an early start on Friday. If this works out I'll be doing at least 3 dives and hopefully 4 before coming home that evening. I'd like to pay another visit to the 125 ft spot as we did on January 2 of this year. This will most likely be my last local dive session before going to Key Largo for a week on May 1st.:D :D :D If anyone is interested in joining us let me know or just show up and say, Howdy! If anyone was down at the lake this past weekend would be interested to hear about temps and vis. Thanks and hope to see you there, Jim

Update: I'll definitely be going down thirsday after work. should be there by 6 pm. planning to do at least one night dive that evening possibly two and three on friday starting by 9 am.

How was the vis?
We are thinking bsc &/or Guppy Gulch on the 8 &/or 9th.
I have been wanting to go to mt storm.
You are talking the 14th?
Hummmmm.......

Dave
(In Glen Burnie, MD)

The vis last year was 10-12 ft. Don't know about this time cause how much water the power plant puts out affects it. We were doen on new years day and the day after and it was 4-8 ft to about the 50 ft platform. it did however improve deeper. While it was dark it was 12-15 ft from 100 to 125 ft. I understand two weeks ago water temps were already into the 60 degree plus range.

Hi ya Jim:

Was wondering if anyone has plans to make a weekend out of it.

Jim the Gazz.... had mentioned to me about your plans to go down to storm on good friday.

The weekend probably would work out better for myself for i'll probably be working by then.

Anyway, i'll see what happens.

I'll be around.

latter:

Sam, it has been discussed. nothing definite yet but there is the possibility of doing some aow and rescue work. Not sure if Denise will let me do saturday also since she won't be going. I'm going down thursday night after work for sure. You got my number call me. I don't think anyone will be staying saturday night regardless with sunday being Easter. Jim

What's the mountineer like?
I normally use motel 6.
Comparable?

Dave

Dave, The Mountaineer is the Ritz Carlton of Mt. Storm. Of course Walmart would be the Saks Fifth Avenue if they had one. But in all seriousness it is clean and comfortable. It was recently sold and the new owners seem ok. Some upgrades are being made but I don't know how far along they are. What's nice is the price. Less than 40 bucks for a room with two double beds, TV, and bath with shower. Hot water heat and no air conditioning yet but he said it will be going in. BTW got permission to stay thru saturday so I'll be diving thurs night, friday, and saturday. Should be able to get 8-10 dives in. It also looks like we may be doing aow and rescue classes Friday afternoon and saturday. Depends on if the students come thru.

Any air fills in the area?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom