2nd Pool Session - So Much Fun!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OliviaRose

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All!

:confined: I just finished my second pool session for my OWD certification tonight and it was just great! It has been several years since I first put a regulator in my mouth and I must say it felt wonderful to do it again. I actually found the second session to be easier than the first - perhaps because I was a bit less nervous than in the first class.

We did different mask and regulator clearing skills, as well as regulator retrieval methods and mask removal, and a bunch of other stuff. It really was a lot of fun - maybe having a leaky mask all these years snorkeling has been helpful in some silly way since I really had no trouble with mask removal or clearing (I've since upgraded to a new, non-leaking mask for my scuba training).

We did also 30 second of breathing underwater with and without a mask, respectively. I have to say I really enjoyed the 30 seconds sans-mask. I wear contact lenses, so I told my instructor I'd need to close my eyes in order to avoid losing a lens and she said that was fine and that she would pat me on the head when the time was up. I wish it had been longer - it was just so peaceful!

For both of my first two confined dives, I've had private instruction as I believe I am the only person in my "level" at the moment. There have been lots of other divers there each class, at more advanced levels than myself or taking free diving classes, etc., and it's really a very cool environment. I can't say that I mind having private instruction at all! It is great to be able to work with your teacher one on one; I've had a different teacher each time and both have been excellent. :)

I haven't had too much trouble with my ears yet but also haven't ventured into the deeper end of the pool, aside from the diving during the first pool session - only made it 8 feet without pain even after pre-equalizing and doing it on the way down. It is really the only thing still making me wary. I have, of course, been medically cleared to dive very recently and also in the past. However, I've also experienced three eardrum ruptures over the last 15 years. Two of them were when I was younger and occurred during reef diving (I just wanted to see the fish up close! :fish:) and the third was five years ago during the last of three dives with a private instructor at about 50ft depth. We were descending to 60 feet after two successful 30-35ft dives the previous days, and I believe it was just too fast of a decent given my history of childhood chronic ear infections/tube surgery.

It only affects my left ear, but fortunately there is minimal scarring and it has responded normally to pressure tests. I do have an ENT, same one for over 20+ years. Anyhow, it still makes me nervous because I want to be a good diver so badly and really do not want this to get in my way any more than it already has!

Has anyone had similar issues or medical history?

All the Best - Olivia

---------- Post added April 19th, 2015 at 11:31 PM ----------

Only other issue I'm really seeing so far is bending down fully while wearing all the equipment - I only weigh about 110lbs (5'5") and with a tank and weights on it felt like I was wearing close to half my body weight. Standing, walking, and exiting the pool was okay, but when I went to pick up my mask my knees almost buckled! More squats?! lol

---------- Post added April 20th, 2015 at 12:17 AM ----------

Just as a side note and for anyone who is wondering - eardrum rupture is painful and can cause damage to the ear. I plan on never allowing it to occur again; my instructors are aware of my history and willing to work with me. That being said, I just wanted to mention that despite the rupture, I was able to ascend in a slow, calm, and controlled manner with my instructor. I am not concerned with panic in the event of a rupture, just the prevention of it ever happening again!

If you are curious as to what the experience is like, there is a large sort of "pop" but it isn't really so much a sound as a feeling. It then becomes a very sharp pain and feels as though water is rushing into your head. I had small amounts of blood afterwards as well but nothing crazy. I am by no means experienced but staying in control no matter what is key! :)

Last edited:
There are several methods to equalize that involve all kinds of actions to pressurize the air in the mouth and to move your neck a bit. I hope some of those will help.

Doing it forcibly is not a good idea as that could a) do some damage and b) just push something shut.

Also note that a lot of up-down-up-down movement will cause air flow back and forth, and that may cause irritation and swelling and difficulties in equalizing (for me at least). Sometimes I have a light cold that can only be detected from my inability to equalize ears on dry land.

Maybe you should dwell at the 10-20 feet region and slowly experiment with various methods. I have also heard of ear canal expansion, but that's kind of extreme...

Only other issue I'm really seeing so far is bending down fully while wearing all the equipment - I only weigh about 110lbs (5'5") and with a tank and weights on it felt like I was wearing close to half my body weight. Standing, walking, and exiting the pool was okay, but when I went to pick up my mask my knees almost buckled!

Put your mask on first, then the heavy stuff.

Wait till you've spent an hour weightless underwater and then have to get out wearing all that weight. And breathing unpressurised air after an hour of breathe-assist sucks, too. :wink:

This is 15 years old but always worth watching...

A real "ear opener". Browse on his page for the video. It should be a sticky.

Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page

Most important advice at 30:30. Listen up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom