2nd Stage Alternate Air Source

Do you have a 2nd Stage Alt Air Source?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you mean an octopus then.

In which case 98% of people i dive with tend to have one.

Its also known as an "alternative air source" and in fact thats its proper name in our instructor notes.

String:

Its also known as an "alternative air source" and in fact thats its proper name in our instructor notes.
The question is vague, I think, and I'm not sure I agree with this either.

It would help if different agencies and manufacturers would agree on what to call the alternate second stage regulator, but really - it's not an air source, it's a air delivery.

My choices for alternative air SOURCES, in the order I turn to them:
(1) My Pony bottle;
(2) My Buddy - altho my luck with instant buddies has been poor;
(3) Anyone around me - and I went thru one of those once. :11

String:

I hate calling it that, as the Octopus - to me - is the entire regulator system with 4 hoses. I'm sure many a newbie has wondered why a single hose and reg is called an Octo

BrianS:
A spare 2nd stage, which is why I stated a 2nd Stage one :) Something designed for your buddy and not for yourself.

My backup 2nd stage is for me, not my buddy, and is bungied around my neck. I will donate the one in my mouth to my buddy.

Mike

I've never seen a diver without either an octopus or a pony bottle.

Who are the 5 diving without an alternate air source?

Speak up! :)

ScottZeagle:
Brian,

I think most people think of an "alternate air source" as a inflator/second stage combo.

Scott

I have to disagree. I think the term "alternate air source" refers to the entire class of gadgets
that one divers might have which would include a second second stage, combo BC inflater, Pony bottle and the second reg o a set of doubles or "twins".

We al know what the question was ment to be: "What type of alternate air source do you use?"

pants!:

I misunderstood the question. :bash: I thought he meant spare air, pony bottle, etc. I do have an alternate regulator. Can I change my vote?

pants!:

I bet those were answers from members who thought the poll referred to an actual second source, i.e. pony or other tank.

Back
Top Bottom