2nd stage shell material type and properties question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveMD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm curious, I wont have my regs in front of me till tomorrow.

What exactly is the material type used for making the shell and purge plate of the 2nd stage?

Mostly what are it's properties regarding heat tolerances?

A friend of mine runs a powder coating business and thought it would be cool to try to powder coat the purge plate(IE a neon green one for an 02 bottle).

I know he's successfully done many materials that you normally wouldn't think would survive powder coating and they actually turned out really well.

Things ranging from a full tube chasis, motorcycle frames, valve covers, wheels(both aluminum and steel), down to delicate things like hard plastic and nylon/vinyl intake manifolds, interior plastic trim pieces(couldn't find any original GNX trim pieces in good condition so he sanded and powder coated some junkyard ones to look nice and shiny)

edit: I don't plan on doing any of this with my current set since they are for my doubles, but I thought about buying another 1st and 2nd for my deco bottle and selling the diverite o2 reg. As for colorful "unique" designs...not really for me but I'm sure if it can handle it there is someone out there that would want a fuchsia and lavender HOG 2nd stage lol

Honestly won't be posting the specific material used. Seriously I had to change from what is commonly used by my OEM and really don't want some others knowing.

I think it will survive, try one and if not i'll replace on my dime.

Honestly won't be posting the specific material used. Seriously I had to change from what is commonly used by my OEM and really don't want some others knowing.

I think it will survive, try one and if not i'll replace on my dime.

Now that is a customer service! *bow*

One:wink:

lime%20rim2.JPG

I think thats pretty close to the standard oxygen reg color :D

lime%20rim2.JPG

I think thats pretty close to the standard oxygen reg color :D

is that a alum rim?

is that a alum rim?
chrome plated, he just taped off the edge that the customer wanted to leave chromed. I think those were for a black g35...they looked hideous in the shop but on the car they actually looked pretty good(still not something I would have EVER done but to each his own lol)

chrome plated, he just taped off the edge that the customer wanted to leave chromed. I think those were for a black g35...they looked hideous in the shop but on the car they actually looked pretty good(still not something I would have EVER done but to each his own lol)

if you wanted a car to look like it rolled out of a 70's comic book, that rim is a start

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom