3-4 weeks December/January - suggestions please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Bearkeley - thank you very much for this suggestion! I have had a quick look at both, and the Savedra option in particular looks like a good way of getting in a variety of sites so I've sent an enquiry and I will see if they can fit me in. The El Nido trip is pretty short so I'd have to make plans to do more in that area to justify getting there (although it could be a way of transferring to Coron!)

Anyway, thanks again! (And I will also check out Cabilao).

Diane
That’s awesome! If you end up going to Cebu and time isn’t a big deal, then Malapascua is also worth it. You can easily take a public bus (very safe) and enjoy the drive. Great thresher sharks, beautiful island (not crowded) and amazing dive trips to a couple of islands if weather works (Gato Island if I remember correctly). Feel free to pm if I can help with specifics. Hubby and I are currently planning another trip so maybe we’ll run into each other! Enjoy

Hi folks.
I am an experienced diver (somewhere around 850 - 900 dives) and an amateur photographer.

I am trying to plan a trip for this coming December / January, Last December I went to Mexico and did a fair number of dives in Cozumel, I love the people there but I'm considering a different location this year, partly because for me, the flights to that side of the world are very expensive (I'm in South Africa).

I love wrecks, enjoy reefs, and like macro stuff (although not necessarily muck!)

I would love suggestions of which places offer great diving at that time of the year? I can stay as long or as short as needed at each location, but I don't want to move just for the sake of moving, because it adds to the costs. I will probably be travelling alone so I can't split car/taxi, accommodation etc costs with someone else, therefore budget is an issue.

I am not into nightlife - I prefer quiet spots. I wouldn't mind some exploring topside in the afternoons after morning dives - provided it isn't a significant extra expense.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Diane
Diane,

A liveaboard or safari does provide a great way to see a wide variety of diving and different areas. We do offer select itineraries from Anilao to Apo Reef & Coron in December. These are typically 8 day/7night itineraries.

You can email us at info@allstarliveaboards.com if you would like additional information.

@Bearkeley: thanks again; I have done Malapascua before (I missed the threshers thanks to the fact that my travel partner would not get up early enough to do the recommended time); I will certainly consider going again to see them, but there are so many islands I haven't done at all so I may want to go new places this time!
I may very well PM you as time progresses - for now I have a more immediate trip (to the Red Sea) to pack for (leaving tomorrow!)

@AllStar - I have emailed you.

Regards

Diane

Hi again folks.

So with my Red Sea trip now sadly only a distant memory, I am working hard on the December plans.

Bearing in mind that I am travelling alone (which is a pain from the point of view of bags and transfers), I am thinking of only doing a limited number of destinations.

After reading some of the trip reports here I was thinking of spending half my time in Sogod Bay and the other half in Dauin/Apo.

I can fly to either Manila or Cebu but it is cheaper to fly into Manila.

What would you recommend in terms of getting to these two destinations - is there a better order to go?

Is this a sensible choice of destinations or am I making my life difficult? Remember this is for December/ January.. good choice or not?

Thanks in advance...!

This is a great choice, you will get to know the people In the dive shops and the diving very well and will have time to chill and relax.

When we last went we flew to Tacloban from Cebu, but the ferry would have been easier. From Manila you will have to fly to Tacloban , but that's fine.

On the way out , we caught the ferry from Southern Leyte to Cebu and then flew to Dumaguete from Cebu airport. We weren't sure about the ferries, as the timetable said the the ferry to Dumaguete left after the one from Leyte arrived. Not sure what the situation is now. This worked out absolutely fine, there are heaps of flights every day from Cebu to Dumaguete.

We like to leave the best till last , so if corals and touch wood whalesharks and an exceptional night dive are your thing , go to Dumaguete first and Leyte last. The macro in Dauin is great and Apo is wonderful.

Have a wonderful trip !

It will be a long journey from Southern Leyte to Dumaguete or vice versa in whatever transport mode one takes.
There are numerous ferries departing from various places in Leyte(Maasin, Hilongo, Ormoc etc etc) to Cebu City Piers 1, 2 and 4 everyday. Maasin is the closest to Sogod.
(1) Would you consider the slow one departing from Maasin(22:00) to Cebu City Pier 1(04:00)? Ocean fastcraft has a connection to Dumaguete at 06:00(Pier1) or Weesam(Pier 4) at 07:30. Pedal trike is available between terminals.
(2) You can take the Weesam Express from Maasin(09:30) to Cebu(11:30) and then whatever available to Dumaguete later. Alternatively, taxi to Southern bus terminal and get the bus directly to Dumaguete(a short ferry ride included). Ceres Bus has hourly trip and make sure it is an AC bus. Please bear in mind that on board toilet is quite rare especially in the provincial buses.
Option (1): miss half a day diving
Option (2): miss a whole day diving

The above suggestion is based on arriving at Sogod Bay(via Tacloban) first.

Have a great trip.

Hi Tippytoes and Centrals, thanks again for the input.

As Centrals says it seems I have long distances to content with but I guess that's PI...!

Thanks for the warning re shortage of onboard toilets!

I have on a previous trip done one of the overnight ferries - I can't remember 100% which one but it was but I think it was from Leyte - it was pretty ghastly - the bunk beds were not "Western" size and we had sick people nearby - but maybe things have improved since 2012? Otherwise I guess it is miss a day..

I just hope the fact that it will be around Christmas does not mean that I can't get the necessary transport...

I do love some critters and Apo sounds amazing so I'm not sure which I would consider best, Tippytoes :) I note that you did it the other way round from what you recommend, so I gather it's experience talking? FWIW, the Tacloban route seems to require a long (and for solo traveller EXPENSIVE) drive, so that is not an option...

I guess I will have to spend some more time looking at ferry schedules!

1. Worst time to travel in the country is around Christmas. Cebu City is the main travel hub in the whole Visayas, so bus and ferry are in big demand!
2. Dumaguete + Sipalay will cut away ferry. You can fly either to Dumaguete and out from Bacolod or vice versa. Because Sipalay is right in the middle between them and there are frequent bus connections especially from Bacolod(done that route twice previously).
3. Public bus or shared van is available from Tacloban Central Terminal to Maasin and some of them will pass through Padres Burgos(Sogod Bay) and will even drop you off right outside the resort! Check it out. BTW, make sure your flight arrive at Tacloban in the morning.
If for some reasons you end up at Maasin, don't worry, take the jeepney to Padres Burgos and then a motor trike to the resort.

Thanks Centrals, I will look into those options.

I can't find much on Sipalay here on SB.. a search doesn't turn up anything other than a few brief mentions..?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom