3 Divers lost on the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[C]*** Mod Post ***

OK fellas,

let's keep it civil here.

*** Mod Post ***
[/C]

Faust:
A little off the subject but , most of the deck plans that are out there are for SG's sister ship. The exteriors are accurate but not all the mods to the lower and interiors are accurate.

Not true... There has been a distribution of the plans on here and on Deco Stop and on Ebay.

The plans were obtained from the Archives, scanned in and are available electronically. Of course most people print them. They've been available since sometime last year. The same group did the same thing with the Oriskany.

ONESPEED:
Good point, although I will say I have been diving on the Grove with people who have no right being on that wreck. Where does the operators screening process begin and individual accountability end?

I'm in no way saying these divers weren't qualified nor am I saying Scuba Do did anything wrong here, I don't know enough about this situation to make that statement. Just pointing out that I have seen operators take divers to this wreck who clearly weren't prepared for the potential challenges it offers.

Ditto...seen it happen several times myself. (Just to clarify, with different operators each time...never been out with Scuba-Do)
Almost watched a 13y/o boy drift away on the surface attempting to do the dive. Later learned it was his(and his buddy's who was his dad) 5th dive out of OW class...

mike_s:
Not true... There has been a distribution of the plans on here and on Deco Stop and on Ebay.

The plans were obtained from the Archives, scanned in and are available electronically. Of course most people print them. They've been available since sometime last year. The same group did the same thing with the Oriskany.

Yup, and only about 60 people bought the ones that were offered by Curtis on the Deco Stop and the first few runs on Ebay were the prints similar to what Slate had of the sister ship.Havnt looked for them there in a long time.I Was not trying to be rude but the point was that most people dont know that there was a diffrence . And that usually leads to problems.

robway034:
Ya know, I was going to post a message cautioning against negative commentary and the like but I figured it was unnecessary. The truth is that all of the facts are not out yet so lets not be too quick to speak so Ill of the unfortunate. These divers are dead and gone. They most likely left behind some very hurt and sorrowful friends and family. I would hope that they would not read our board and find their loved ones referred to in pejorative terms.
I would like to challenge some of my peers to focus on the positive things to be learned from this unfortunate event. After all the facts are out, I will be looking to learn from this disaster and take away the learning points for future reference.

Please remember that these where people just like us…with families and loved ones who, for all we know, may be reading this board. Let’s not add to their grief and sorrow. So I will end this the way I have had to end conversations like this before:
“Here’s to the Airborne Ranger in the Sky and the soldiers who will no longer be counted amongst our ranks”

:beer: :salute:

who called anyone a "moron" ... I said that future divers might be driven by morbid curiosity if by chance a body was deemed non-recoverable. I see nothing derogatory in this thread regarding the unfortunate souls who died today

dldiver:
Ditto...seen it happen several times myself. (Just to clarify, with different operators each time...never been out with Scuba-Do)
Almost watched a 13y/o boy drift away on the surface attempting to do the dive. Later learned it was his(and his buddy's who was his dad) 5th dive out of OW class...

It was my 20th dive. In retrospect, although I am confident and capable, that was probably too soon for me to make that dive. "But for the grace of God, there I go also..."

Faust:
Yup, and only about 60 people bought the ones that were offered by Curtis on the Deco Stop and the first few runs on Ebay were the prints similar to what Slate had of the sister ship.Havnt looked for them there in a long time.I Was not trying to be rude but the point was that most people dont know that there was a diffrence . And that usually leads to problems.

The deck plans for the Oriskany are no longer valid and are incorrect - both the 1975 and 1981 versions. Entire sections of the interior of the ship have changed dramatically.

Back
Top Bottom