34 F water NE USA, but warm here in ScubaBoard!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave4868

Old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It's great to be here to join the many positive people here on ScubaBoard!

Bringing something of value is my goal, so perhaps a little info and some pics from my last dive Jan 13th may be of some interest. Did I just hear some groans? :) I'm not deterred.

It was unusual in being a shore dive in a local lake normally capped with a foot of ice in mid-January, but we've enjoyed a mild winter here (so far).

The interesting part was listening to the plate-sized shards of ice clinking and cracking as the heavy wind and waves shoved them around. They were piled about 8 inches thick near shore. Underwater, they sounded like muffled wind chimes and could be heard from many yards away.

There's always something on every dive!

Let me know if I stray from etiquette!

Kindest regards.

Dave

Attachments

• Stiff winter wind coming down the lake.jpg
    Stiff winter wind coming down the lake.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Ice shards piling up near shore.jpg
    Ice shards piling up near shore.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Dragging the flag through the ice shards.jpg
    Dragging the flag through the ice shards.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 71
Welcome to Scubaboard Dave. I'm used to cold weather diving myself. Actually going for a dive in a couple of hours and will take the Ice class in Vermont next month if there is enough ice on the lake by then.

Welcome to ScubaBoard. Good to have you here. This is a great place to meet local divers. Also a good place to warm up from your last dive. BRRR.

Welcome to SB! People think I'm crazy for the way I dive, but I'd NEVER go into water that was 34 degrees unless it was Antarctica (which is even colder). Do you have a nervous system? Just teasing.

Feel free to post pics whenever, we love em. :) Over here in the midwest we're sittin under several inches of snow, and i think it's still snowing. Man, i hate winter.

Oh, and welcome to the boards :)

Is this a great place, or what? Really nice of you all to welcome a newcomer, like me.

I hope to bump into all of you from time to time.

Interesting people:

pir8- I trust you had a nice dive today. Our freshwater in New Hampster (sic) has a hard coat on it now.

Wish the best for your ice dive in Vermont in February. If it's a deep lake like Willoughby, it'll be a close call for having ANY ice by then. Remember, don't all stand in the same spot on the ice this year, if you know what I mean. At least cutting the hole will be a breeze. It'll be kinda creepy looking down through black ice and watching the divers!

snepdiver's got the right idea- living where it's warm! Gotta be better than this 15 degree stuff we've got outside today. I'll live down south some day.

drbill- You've seen the underwater pics from Antarctica, no doubt! Here's a link yoiu might enjoy:
http://scilib.ucsd.edu/sio/nsf/diving/index3.html
At risk of sounding boastful, I've really got my insulation tweaked pretty good and my last dive in that 34 degree F water was 101 minutes long with minimal chilliness near the end, and no motor impairment. So, 28 degree F water under the polar icecap wouldn't be a problem, especially with the reward of 800-foot vis! I agree it's tough to get motivated for our cold water when all I've got is silt jello on the bottom and ice crystals on the surface to play with. 8^)

Your webpages were very interesting. Keep up the good work!

Wolfie2012- I hear ya about WINTER! We've only got a little snow on the ground, what I lovingly call "The White Death". Useless stuff. Glad you liked the pics. Next time, I'll try not to post pics showing frigid images.

Kindest regards to you all. Enjoy your diving!

Dave C

Unfortunately we didn't get to dive today. I commited the cardinal sin of believing info someone else gave me. I got the wrong tide info from someone , it was low when he said high and sooooooooooooooo. Still prayin for good Ice in Feb in Vermont.

Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

Heck, my water temp was warm on today's dive compared to yours: 36 degrees.

My hands and feet start to get colds after about an hour, so tell us what you're wearing to stay warm for 100 mins in 34 degrees.

Welcome to the board!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom