3d printed Sitech Antares dryglove cuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mlavigne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I started working on replacing my broken Antares (sitech) dryglove cuff with a 3d printed resin version. I am using ABS-like resin. flexibility seems slightly better than the original (which is good because the original cracked as soon as i tried to use it in the cold). I believe all new-ish sitech wrist seals can accommodate these drygloves, so it should be possible to make a new set without ever having owned the actual product?

I'm still on Rev0, so not yet functional.

What works:
fits well in the sitech cuffs
detent pins are perfect
locking arms are more flexible than original
locking arms lock well
locking arms release when spun (like originals)

What needs to be done:
need to thicken the oring slot (see the pic, one part broke thru because its too thin)
Oring slot is too deep (related to above issue), so likely wont seal correctly with stock orings
I forgot to add the 'counterbore' on the front part to actually accommodate the glove itself haha

Files are here and can be exported to STL for 3d printing:

I might start a thingiverse account once I get a working part to freeze the design (onshape is a browser based CAD program which is free for non-commercial work, so you can modify the parts).

Onward to Rev 0.1...

-Michael.
20231112_093133[1].jpg

I love the work and effort to do this! Very cool. Interested to know if they do the job on a real dive.

I briefly used this ring system and truly disliked it. Awkward to use, weak design, orings are to small to seal well. I quickly replaced it.

yeah, its a bad system. i wore it all summer to get used to everything, and the first cold day i actually needed drygloves, the plastic cracked.

Rev 0.1 is on the printer, so i should know tomorrow if they fit the suit... might have to wait until newyears eve to get them any deeper than a bathtub, though...

my next goal (if this works) is to try an make something like the ultima system which i am currently too cheap to spend $300 on...
I also have this insane idea that I can make a 3d printed mold and cast silicone seals out of one of the skin-safe smooth-on brand 2-part silicone rubbers... for $5 each, not $50... one step at a time though...

My Antares didn't even make it to the water. Broke the tab trying it at home.
I do wonder if the tabs couldn't actually be part of a ring that goes all the way round the Antares rather than project. Would make them a lot more durable.

I bit the bullet and bought a Rolock. If you could design a printable bayonet style cuff like that it would be amazing.

quick update- my printer film was damaged from some previous projects and finally sprung a tiny leak and the parts to fix it took some time to come in... then work... the holidays... more work... at least it wasnt interfering with the dive season...

Anyway, rev 0.4 works exactly like the original Sitech parts. fits the wrist seal, fits the orings, locks in place, seems to get a watertight seal...

...and it breaks in the exact same way when removing.
20240113_122016[1].jpg

I'm already printing with ABS-like+ resin which is reasonably flexible (similar to the original part?)... so maybe an FDM printer with actual ABS would do better (i dont have one)... but i dont have a lot more options to get more flexibility out of SLA resin... The same link above has the most up to date file (or check the revision history to roll it back to see changes).

sooo... maybe a new design like @grantmac suggested...

I applaud your efforts but you seem to be trying to replicate and perfect a flawed design....your result will be a perfectly flawed product.

You already know and understand the reason why folks have migrated away from Si-Tech's crappy glove ring system....save your money and time and invest it a product with a good track record and use your 3d printer for more productive projects. You will have less disappointment and be much happier.

Just sayin'

-Z

Another random suggestion - Buy a Rolock 90 kit which will fit the same sitech oval wrists you're using with that flawed Anteres glove solution, but then design and print an extra set of dummy glove rings that can twisted onto the Rolocks so that both the rings and your wrists are protected if you're diving with thinner wet gloves during the summer? (And then selflessly share the .stl file so I can print some for myself too?)

Just sayin'

-R

quick update- my printer film was damaged from some previous projects and finally sprung a tiny leak and the parts to fix it took some time to come in... then work... the holidays... more work... at least it wasnt interfering with the dive season...

Anyway, rev 0.4 works exactly like the original Sitech parts. fits the wrist seal, fits the orings, locks in place, seems to get a watertight seal...

...and it breaks in the exact same way when removing.View attachment 820723

I'm already printing with ABS-like+ resin which is reasonably flexible (similar to the original part?)... so maybe an FDM printer with actual ABS would do better (i dont have one)... but i dont have a lot more options to get more flexibility out of SLA resin... The same link above has the most up to date file (or check the revision history to roll it back to see changes).

sooo... maybe a new design like @grantmac suggested...
Have you considered adding some support "fins" to the inside of the tab running from top to bottom of the clip? It might increase the strength of the part. I'd also consider printing it with PETG, which might give it a little bit more flexibility.

Or just bail on these altogether. I used them years ago and gave up pretty quickly. I had more success with them than most of the other divers I saw using them, but they are just not great.

@davidhicks - I cant do PETG or actual ABS, because i only have an SLA resin-type printer- great for tolerances, not great for flexible parts. I hadn't considered ribs or fins- i was concerned it would affect their ability to bend... but maybe if i just supported them at the bottom, it would be okay (change the spot it breaks at least). My ultimate goal is to find something better- i know this design if flawed, but i have a set, so i figured its easier to design something when i have a working one before designing something else from scratch.

@Badger7 - can you describe how the rolock bayonet portion seals? is there an Oring in there? I see how it seals to the wrist-ring (the ring sandwiches the wrist seal like sitech), and how the glove seals to the glove-ring (the glove seals via tacky rubber with silicone grease- also like the sitech seals with a backing ring for support), but what allows the glove ring to seal to the wrist ring?

Back
Top Bottom