3mm, 5mm, 7mm for SoCal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a neoprene dry suit all year long and I love it. I get cold easily. Even after a long hike to the water on a hot day I am glad I dive dry after a few minutes in the water. The only down side is the extra time it takes to properly clean it and put it away.

Depends on how often you're planning to dive. Age can be a factor as well..If its like once or twice a month/season, 7mm, or a semi-dry suit is sufficient. If more, go dry....

How would a 5mm farmer john with hood and gloves fare in San Diego waters? I'm thinking of diving there in August and would like to just use what I already have.

How would a 5mm farmer john with hood and gloves fare in San Diego waters? I'm thinking of diving there in August and would like to just use what I already have.

It may work in August. Water temps are usually in the mid 60's. If you wear a cheater vest, ie lavacore, 4th element, you should be fine.
I wouldn't advise diving the Yukon, though. There's a very cold current that runs right over that wreck.
Good luck...

7mm for southern cal.

FWIW: San Diego can be deceptively cold, even in August. I dived it in a 7/5 last August and was kicking myself for not packing my d/s and almost skipped my 3rd dive. The next day, I drove up the cost to Catalina and did 3 dives in the same 7/5 and was fine as the water was 8-10F warmer.

Hard to advise you when I don't know your body's response to cold. During winter I dive in a 7mm with a 3mm hooded vest, during summer I dive in a 3/2mm with the hooded vest. Currently I'm diving a 7mm Neosport XSPAN that has an effective thickness of 0.0mm in many spots. Yes, I'm a bit chilled... waiting for my new wetsuit to arrive.

Another way to go is a 7/5 mil suit then get a full lavacore suit to go under... The lavacore is 1.5 mil but is as warm as a 3 mil and is neutrally buoyant (no need for extra weight)..This way your modular... If its warm-- your 7/5 will be more then enough(i actually go with a 5mil)-- if its cold you throw the lavacore under and your all snuggy.. Also-- if you go to places that are warmer but a body suit is still good--- then you can just wear the lavacore by iteself..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom