3rd (or is this the 4th) Annual Venice Beach Turkey Fry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla:
Hmmm... then there are those of us who do dives in...er... spandex since we're covered in bioprene! :D
Great! New words for diving....

I am a proud DINQR diver in a bioprene suit... perfect :14:

to everyone who has never attended this event cold water temps 69 and shallow depth max about 15 to 20 feet vis is hit or miss. Ive been there when people just looked at the water and gave up cause they thought vis was so bad. I dove and after you cleared the surf and got down to depth vis was 10 to 15 feet. normal vis for this time of year is between 2 to 10 feet so this is a low vis dive. I recomend that you dive with someone who knows how and where to find the teeth or all you will get is frustrated. last year was my first venice turkey dive and i found 0 teeth however it was because of my lack of knowledge not a lack of teeth. since then i have gone many times and while far from an expert i average 150 or more teeth per dive now and i have a shoebox over half full of teeth(several thousand) a few good megs,2 hemiprestis uppers, 1 hemiprestis lower, 3 large mako and others. It is a great time and family frendly.

rebelmandziukan:
to everyone who has never attended this event cold water temps 69 and shallow depth max about 15 to 20 feet vis is hit or miss. Ive been there when people just looked at the water and gave up cause they thought vis was so bad. I dove and after you cleared the surf and got down to depth vis was 10 to 15 feet. normal vis for this time of year is between 2 to 10 feet so this is a low vis dive. I recomend that you dive with someone who knows how and where to find the teeth or all you will get is frustrated. last year was my first venice turkey dive and i found 0 teeth however it was because of my lack of knowledge not a lack of teeth. since then i have gone many times and while far from an expert i average 150 or more teeth per dive now and i have a shoebox over half full of teeth(several thousand) a few good megs,2 hemiprestis uppers, 1 hemiprestis lower, 3 large mako and others. It is a great time and family frendly.

Thank you for the heads up.I will have to remember that.

yes it is the 4th for sure. Glad to see it is still going. We started this and I always have found it to be a great time for all.

You need 4 gallons of peanut oil. You also need to inject the turkey for it to have any flavor.

simbrooks:
I can bring gas for the fryer and most likely we'll be good for the oil too, but am not sure what oil is used and how much.

After just throwing a bash here for 70+ people with a large pig on a spit and the wedding not long gone as well - our entertaining budget is getting more limited! I dont think we'll be able to stretch for a turkey, on top of oil, gas, paper/plasticware and such. We can still bring plates, cutlery and cups as we already have that stuff, but we'll hold off on the breaded goods and soda previously mentioned for others to bring. Any idea how much and what type of oil?

BTW - is this beach dog friendly or are there any laws about taking them along?

The best thing to do with the turkey is to get a 15 - 20 lbs turkey. too big and the peanut oil just bubbles over. The turkey has always been a big hit. If you need anything else in reference to the turkey just let me know.

We will be getting to town early that morning and will most likely stop by. There will be trhee of us if we make it and will most likely cook something at the local grocery store to bring. I think a 20 lb turkey is too big, I think the outside will get too done before the inside. I have always been told 12-15 but have never tried a bigger one.

I have negotiated on behalf of all scubaboard members with the Island Breeze Inn for a special rate for the weekend of our turkeydive. for the low price of $80 per night(normally $100) you too can book a room. This place is very close to alhambra very clean very quiet. They have a small pool.the managers name is victor and when you call to book make sure you mention scubaboard.com and you are a member to get the discount. (941)488-4417. www.IslandBreezeInn.com I already booked my room for friday and saturday

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom