4,000 mile rescue - Chuuk Atoll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it was me, after 30 mins of O2 on deck and no improvement, I'd be IWR with my buddy and doing an Australian and hanging O2 bottles at depth.

Although highly controversial with hundreds of arguments on every side of the issue beat to death, every diver on a remote trip should read up so they can make their own individual choice to wait and take a paralysis/tissue damage chance. Flame away, but I'd be IWR that far from a chamber.

Doing an Australian??? Whats that?

First I want to say "Well done" U.S.C.G. You guys really are so much more than your ever given credit for. Semper Paratus...and you prove it 24/7/365. Keep up the GREAT work!
I hope the diver is able to recover...thats one helluva long haul for a chamber ride.
Have no idea who will pay the bill for this one...Herky birds drink about 1500 pds an hr per engine..and thats at ALTITUDE....I'd imagine that 900 gallons an hour of JP was about tripled runnin low...but ya know what?....thats what we pay taxes for. In this case...taxpayers money well spent IMO.
Again I hope the diver recovers and my covers off to the Coasties...well done!!

If it was me, after 30 mins of O2 on deck and no improvement, I'd be IWR with my buddy and doing an Australian and hanging O2 bottles at depth.

Although highly controversial with hundreds of arguments on every side of the issue beat to death, every diver on a remote trip should read up so they can make their own individual choice to wait and take a paralysis/tissue damage chance. Flame away, but I'd be IWR that far from a chamber.

Doesn't someone make a portable +1 atm one man chamber? Basically it's a big fiber reinforced bag with pressure control fittings. Cannot do a table 6 nor can it be used for an unconscious victim since it only holds one person. Seems like getting something like that to chuuk (sp?) might be relatively cost effective. Provides higher absolute pressure than you'd want to sustain on 100% O2 while avoiding thermal and communication issues of IWR. Combined with REMO2 (O2 rebreather), could sustain compression for extended period with limited 02 available.

Is my memory playing tricks on me or has anyone else heard of such a thing?

Doesn't someone make a portable +1 atm one man chamber? Basically it's a big fiber reinforced bag with pressure control fittings…

I am sure it can be done, but I don’t see them as practical. It is very difficult to care for someone in a torpedo chamber, the need on long flights is so rare, the fire and explosion risk is high due to administering Oxygen, and you need a compressor and power to run it in order to keep it pressurized.

oops - duplicate post

I am sure it can be done, but I don’t see them as practical. It is very difficult to care for someone in a torpedo chamber, the need on long flights is so rare, the fire and explosion risk is high due to administering Oxygen, and you need a compressor and power to run it in order to keep it pressurized.
I've thought about making one: PVC pipe wide enough to accommodate the widest shoulders, screw on caps, cut and paste a plexiglass window for observation, folded synthetic blanket to level out the bottom inside, pressure gauge, oxygen meter, oxygen inlet, air inlet. There'd be enough leakage to continuously input gases slowly, but slow enough that a 3,000 air tank and a 3,000 oxygen tank could keep up at 2ATM for a significant time. Scarey explosion risk, tho.

I've thought about making one:...

Yes, the explosion risk is huge. Some BIBS (Built-In Breathing System) masks used in chambers to administer Oxygen also have exhalation regulators, but they require at least a full atmosphere of depth to work decently. Otherwise exhalations go into the chamber and you have to supply enough air to ventilate the atmosphere down to safe oxygen levels.

Avox 801238 Original Inhalator without First Stage Pressure Reducing Regulator without Microphone Assembly

There are also issues with certification of the pressure vessel. I don’t see any pilots willing to put a bomb like this in their aircraft without an ASME certification stamp on it.

Doesn't someone make a portable +1 atm one man chamber? Basically it's a big fiber reinforced bag with pressure control fittings. Cannot do a table 6 nor can it be used for an unconscious victim since it only holds one person. Seems like getting something like that to chuuk (sp?) might be relatively cost effective. Provides higher absolute pressure than you'd want to sustain on 100% O2 while avoiding thermal and communication issues of IWR. Combined with REMO2 (O2 rebreather), could sustain compression for extended period with limited 02 available.

Is my memory playing tricks on me or has anyone else heard of such a thing?

SOS Hyperlite makes a lovely one, and NOAA and the Navy have a number of them. They are "pressurized stretchers" and uncomfortable as hell. Most occupants will puke in them, due to high heat and inability to move your arms once you are inside. If you're still on the boat or in the helo, you will barf. Cost out the door without training is $75k, and the liner has to be replaced every 10 years at a cost of $15k. They aren't used to really save anyone's life, although I do know a man who was treated in one for a vestibular hit, they are used to satisfy insurance or OSHA or dive plan requirements to have a chamber on site during commercial or deep or long dives. You don't want to actually have to use one.

… They aren't used to really save anyone's life, although I do know a man who was treated in one for a vestibular hit, they are used to satisfy insurance or OSHA or dive plan requirements to have a chamber on site during commercial or deep or long dives...

Hard to believe that even OSHA is that stupid… Oh wait, strike that.

I wouldn’t think any torpedo chamber would be acceptable by insurance companies or ACDI for any offshore commercial diving operations. Is this more for projects like filming or science?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom