4/3 Macro Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am trying to figure out what is the best lens(es) for macro work with my 4/3 camera.

There is one (expensive) Leica 45mm macro lens available but I wonder if shooting with this underwater would work. The lens specs indicate great near focus performance but 45mm on 4/3 sensor equates to 90mm on a full frame sensor camera.... so if I want a full frame picture of a Ling Cod's eye ball, it would be perfect. For most of my work this is to long a lens.

I am looking for a shorter lens with great close up performance. If there is a zoom lens + close up lens combo that works that would be perfect... but my experience from SLR world suggests that this combo will produce mediocre image quality.

Perhaps someone has experience with the Lumix G Vario 14-45 mm plus one of the underwater close up "filter" that they can share. Alternatively, the Leica 25mm prime focus lens + a underwater close up filter might work well. Has anyone tried these or other options for macro work with a 4/3ds camera?

Thanks
Doug

I am trying to figure out what is the best lens(es) for macro work with my 4/3 camera. There is one (expensive) Leica 45mm macro lens available but I wonder if shooting with this underwater would work. The lens specs indicate great near focus performance but 45mm on 4/3 sensor equates to 90mm on a full frame sensor camera.... so if I want a full frame picture of a Ling Cod's eye ball, it would be perfect. For most of my work this is to long a lens.I am looking for a shorter lens with great close up performance. If there is a zoom lens + close up lens combo that works that would be perfect... but my experience from SLR world suggests that this combo will produce mediocre image quality. Perhaps someone has experience with the Lumix G Vario 14-45 mm plus one of the underwater close up "filter" that they can share. Alternatively, the Leica 25mm prime focus lens + a underwater close up filter might work well. Has anyone tried these or other options for macro work with a 4/3ds camera?ThanksDoug
I have the 14-42 and a Dyron +7 diopter. Focusing up close is a challenge but the image quality is excellent when I do get the focus dead on.Both of these little nudibranchs are about 1/4" long......

Attachments

• PA201089.jpg
    PA201089.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 166
  • PA301251-2.jpg
    PA301251-2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Ron,
Thanks for the photos. One of those looks like the fairly rare Red-Gilled Nudibranch. Cool!
Doug

The Panasonic 14-45mm lens is an excellent general purpose lens, but it has a minimum focus distance of 30cm, about 1 foot. The 45mm macro lens focuses to about half that distance. You'll have to work a little harder to get good macro shots with the 14-45, but I suspect with the right wet diopter lenses you can get the job done with either. If you're not sure, try the 14-45mm out and see if you can live with it.

Cardog and Phil Rudin have shown some excellent macro shots with the similar Olympus 14-42mm lens, so it's worth trying.

You may want to checkout photozone.de a well respected site for lens reviews. They have used the same system for review of all these M43 lenses and results are as follows.

Panasonic 45mm macro, max magnification ratio 1:1, 4 to 4 1/2 stars.

Panasonic 14 to 45 KIT, max. mag. 1:3 at 45mm, 3 1/2 stars.

Olympus 14 to 42 KIT, max. mag. 1:4.2, 3 1/2 stars.

Panasonic 14 to 42mm KIT, max. mag. 1:6.25,

For NEX owners, 18 to 55 KIT, max. mag, 1:3.3, 2 1/2 stars.

I have listed stars in regard to optical quality only.
Zooms are all F/3.5-5.6.

45 macro an F/2.8 lens.

Max. magnification based on long end of lens and is based on 35mm frame, so X2 for m43 and X1.5 for NEX.

Please read the reviews for all details.

Check out the excellent 12mm F/2 review.

Phil Rudin

Photos look great Ron! Well done.

Using a wet diopter is always going to be the easiest macro solution, the least expensive and will produce great results. For those who want to incur the expense, the Panasonic 45mm macro will produce a little better image quality. Good luck! - Scott

great info

Hi guys,

I just took the Panasonic GF3 out to Egypt with the 45mm macro lens and a Subsee +10 diopter. Just want to show you the results.

This is a tiny blenny just above my fingertip

6559409855_ff58698ce9_z.jpg

This is the with the Subsee at max magnification within a couple of cm of the subject

6559411087_4e0c4a4610_z.jpg

This is a full size crop out of the last shot.

6559412389_05f2ed663b_z.jpg

nice little guys thnx for posting

Back
Top Bottom