4/3 Macro Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am trying to understand the relationship between lenses and diopters. If I take my 14-42mm Olympus kit lens, and add a +10 diopter to it this will roughly double image size by allowing me to cut my minimum focus distance in half?? Do I have that right. If so, then by adding my diopter to the 42mm non macro lens do I have more or less the same thing as a 45mm macro lens? Is the only difference image quality, and of course a small difference in focal length?

Thanks,
Dennis

the 45mm can focus to infinity. With the diopter lens you cannot focus to infinity without removing the wet lens.

You will also not want to use the lens fully zoomed in, you will want to stick to just enough zoom to get down to where you dont see the edges of the wet lens. This will maximize the light entering the camera, so it will be more like a 30mm macro.

Back
Top Bottom