4 Amazing Days of Memorial Weekend diving, plus a reel/spool SMB question for locals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since no one else mentioned it, I guess I will..... Don't you have the required dive flag?

Exactly where I was going. Most ops that I've dove with in that area want you to tow the required dive flag (or hire a DM to tow it for you). If you're already towing a flag, you don't need to shoot an smb. You typically don't even need to bring a flag, as the op will proved them. Check with your op first, of course.

Since no one else mentioned it, I guess I will..... Don't you have the required dive flag?

In WPB and Jupiter, the in-water DM usually has a flag and the boat displays one. The SMB is used if you get separated from the DM or choose to dive your own plan (especially during lobster season!).

I used to use the method described by Dumpster Diver but have found I prefer the reel. Having the SMB on the surface for 7 to 10 minutes before you surface yourself gives the dive charter plenty of time to find you (especially if you think you'll be far from the DM or sea conditions are rough). I also used a finger spool for a while too but like the reel better. Different strokes for different folks.

---------- Post added May 27th, 2014 at 08:21 PM ----------

Exactly where I was going. Most ops that I've dove with in that area want you to tow the required dive flag (or hire a DM to tow it for you). If you're already towing a flag, you don't need to shoot an smb. You typically don't even need to bring a flag, as the op will proved them. Check with your op first, of course.

Generally speaking, divers do not tow flags in north Palm Beach County. In Boynton, some ops have you pull the flag others provide a DM. Once you get to Pompano most ops I've been out with have divers tow flags on drift dives.

DiverAmy,

In WPB I use one of two different sets that I carry. If deeper, heavy current or rough seas and I want to make sure Capt Van has the best chance of finding me, I shoot an 6 foot SMB at depth using a reel. If the seas are calm and I'm close to the flag, I just shoot a small three foot SMB at the safety stop using a spool.

Last edited:
I use the Manta Nano+ reel. Nano + « Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork Just the right size (120' of line) and its design is super compact and fits in my wetsuit thigh pocket along with the SMB (I like the Halcyon 6' that you can inflate off your LP hose). I connect them up before the dive, and it is super easy to deploy. The compact handle design means your fingers rest against the spool and so it never backlashes. The other Manta reel mentioned here is a different design, with a spring-loaded release handle that you can also use to control backlash. It is a great product, but much larger and will not go in a pocket together with the SMB and most people I have seen clip them off, but they dangle. Just my personal preference to have things tucked into my pockets.

Guy, where did you buy yours and how much did it cost?

Guy, where did you buy yours and how much did it cost?
Dixie Divers has them for $89.95 plus tax.

Chris,

I got mine at Jupiter Dive Center, which is closer to you. You can look at both models there. Cost was about the same as Amy found.

Ok, Tom. I am going out tomorrow and I am going to try it and stop talking about it. Thank for the push :wink:

---------- Post added May 30th, 2014 at 05:42 PM ----------

Okay, thanks to Tom's badgering I deployed a SMB on both of our dives today from roughly 35 ft. I am officially one of you (in this regard). I will practice this skill EVERY dive from here on in. Not sure why the heck I hesitated for a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom