4 Amazing Days of Memorial Weekend diving, plus a reel/spool SMB question for locals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverAmy

Prism2 CCR Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We (hubby and I) just did 4 amazing days of diving. 3 with Narcosis Charters out of the Riviera Beach Marina and one with Parrot Island Scuba out of Pompano on their reclaimed big boat O Sea D. The ocean was wonderfully cooperative and the dives were sublime. We ran into equipment problems on 4/8 dives! This afforded us the opportunity to hone our skills, both communication and creative workarounds. I finally dove the Danny, which is a nice little artificial reef/sunken tug. We saw about 27 sharks and 15 turtles and 10 GGs over the course of the weekend and one squid! I love those critters. Oh, ocean temps ran a consistent 79 degrees. I wore a 3/2 full with a 3/5 hooded vest underneath. I was never cold. dives ranged in the 45-100 ft. We used our own HP steel tanks, me with a stubby 80 and he with a 100. He also broke in his new DSS bp/w and he loves it.

So, here's the question. We need to start shooting a bag on our WPB dives prior to hitting the surface, boat traffic, you know? I have not yet even attempted it, he has been working on his skill, then, soon I will begin working on mine. We have played with various spools and reels. It seems apparent that a spool is best and we were thinking about 120 ft of line, in case. Does anyone have thoughts/ideas/recommendations/criticisms on what to buy? The spools we have now are kind of short so we can't get the two sided bolt-snap thingy through one of the holes without a struggle. He loves winding up the reel as we ascend using the bolt-snap as a handle to wind. Any assistance would be appreciated. I declare this the summer of a poop-ton of diving!

I use Manta Reels, which divers either love or hate. Mel uses Dive Rite reels, which I suffer from backlash while using. For recreational dives, I am happy with a finger spool.

It's worth finding an instructor or mentor to fine tune your skills and let you try various configurations. I use Dive Rite SMB, Mel swears by Halcyon, I have an AP self inflating, but I typically only use it when scootering. There is no right or wrong way, only the way you are comfortable with.

I got a Manta Reel a couple years ago after seeing many DM's using them, then after using it several times, the rest of my dive crew got them. Super easy to use and so far very reliable.

I have something similar to a Manta reel with a 6' Scubapro SMB. The SMB can be inflated from the bottom like a lift bag, which means I just have to stick my Air2 in and hit the purge. I've had a couple FUBARs with giving the line too much slack while deploying and getting it wrapped around the axle, but overall it works. As for deployment, I like to dump the air from my BC, fire the SMB, and then reel myself up at a leisurely pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like my Manta reel.... I have the model noted in the link below and have never had any issues: they are well constructed. The design of this reel helps avoid the 'rats nest' El P. noted above.

I bet I've deployed an SMB with this particular reel from depth at least 200 times (if not more) in a manner similar to Halycyon's description above (though I use my octo rather than an air2). One other little trick before you inflate an SMB at depth with your octo is to blow just a little bit of air into the oral valve so the SMB starts to rise. You want just enough air so the SMB becomes vertical in the water but not enough air that it begins to pull you up. Slightly inflating the SMB will help keep it from getting tangled in you and your gear when you rapidly fully fill it with your octo, air2 or another air source.

I've also noted that a number of in-water DM's use this particular model (or a very similar Manta model) in WPB and Jupiter.

JR. Reel « Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork

I use this SMB, a pretty good price for what you get.

8 Foot High Viz Orange SMB "Ocean Model"

I use a reel that I bought for $50. I have to be careful because every once in awhile the line will tangle on the handle or the center of the reel. I inspect the reel before inflating to avoid any issues and fix them if they are present.

My sequence is to prime the SMB with a small amount of air to get it upright, inspect my reel, dump my BCD bladder, use my regulator to inflate, and let her go. I do the same as mentioned above, I use my reel to pace my ascent. I've been wanting to mark on the string where 15-20 ft is by coloring it black, but never think of it until I'm using it. I keep my computer on my right wrist since the reel is in my left hand. I can stare at my computer as I'm cranking the reel.

---------- Post added May 27th, 2014 at 04:36 PM ----------

I'd like to get one of those Manta reels one day, they look better built than the one I have.

The 8' SMB is a good bet. Last year, I dug around and scrounged up one of the old 9'7" OMS SMBs. I've been stuck out in the ocean a bunch of times, and geez, it is not a lot of fun. I usually use a spool - I have a nice Manta reel and an old cave diving reel - but usually I just shoot the spool. On a positive note, when you get to drift in the ocean for an hour or so, you get a lot of time to straighten out your lines and at least look like you might have known what you were doing out there.

Amy, you mentioned that you guys were having trouble with this last year. It's not that hard with a reel or a spool. You just have to play with it 10 or twenty times in 40' of water over and over. It's like filing a last minute appellate appeal SOE for a guy strapped to the gurney at Starke. The first few times, ah you miss up here or there and the guy gets juiced. Then all of a sudden, everything clicks and your writs are real works of art. Hopefully, the guy gets juiced anyway since pretty much all of those guys have it coming 50 times over, but that's for another thread.

My wife has to use a reel - one of old plastic Oceanus jobs. A delrin reel is a little bit of a pain, but watching that little puppy sitting there in the water column freespooling in front of your face after you gassed the SMB is kinda alright. The stainless steel spools are out there, but they sink when you release them. They sure do look purty though.

I dive that area. For no-deco, recreational drift dives in that area... there is NO NEED for a reel or a spool.

All you need is an SMB, 25 ft of line wrapped around it and a clip for a weight at the end of the string. This video,, skip to 8:30 shows me deploying it on a deco stop. Why not try this simpler, easier, and cheaper technique first?

Why carry extra gear if you don't need it? Do you need 100 ft of line and then want to wind it all back up?

i use a reel and float when diving deep on wrecks when it is important to let the boat know exactly when you leave the wreck... In these situations, a reel is needed, but this is not normal recreational drift diving in 100 ft.

Skip to 8:30 in the video for the demo.

[video=youtube_share;uZJ0byuTVqU]http://youtu.be/uZJ0byuTVqU[/video]

Since no one else mentioned it, I guess I will..... Don't you have the required dive flag?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom