4 days to OW Certification, do I need a smoke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know that I'm a bit on the green side to be starting a new thread, but right now I'm doing about all I can to resist stepping out for a cigarette . . .

My father and I are going on our PADI OW certification dive this weekend in Lake Denton FL. One of the reasons (albeit probably the least important) that I am excited in taking up diving is that I believe it gives me extra incentive to quit smoking. I read up a bit on some of the dangers of being a smoker and diving, though there aren't a ton of studies on the subject . . . the general consensus (as well as the symbolic No S Sherlock response) is that it's probably not very good for you.

I feel a little background info is due at this point (and again, writing seems to be helping a bit) . . . I am 26 years old and have been a not quite a pack a day smoker since spring break of my freshman year of college (2002, I can't believe it's been this long). I of course know the dangers of smoking and blah blah blah . . .all I can say is that I tried it during an impressionable period of my life and I've enjoyed it ever since. I used to think that it was the ritual of the whole thing, from getting the pack (and since I'm a rather plain looking Caucasian individual that smokes menthols, can end up in humorous reverse discrimination when regardless of what I ask for am handed a pack of Reds) to packing them and lighting the first one . . . but now I'm thinking that they must be putting something in them to make them addictive (gee maybe if someone would've told me I wouldn't have started). I live with my girlfriend in Orlando FL, she is also a smoker which never makes quitting an easy thing, though she is very supportive and says that she'll try to quit too (though I wouldn't ask this of her and would not be upset if she didn't). Just as unfortunate, she does not share my ambition of becoming a certified diver. I love her all the same and she pulls off the bikini look much better than the wetsuit one anyway. Aside from the health reasons, my current economic position seems to call for an immediate cessation of such an expensive habit (plus I'll be able to run faster and jump higher and assumably. . . dive deeper . . right?).

I've tried to quit a few times in the past, with varying degrees of success (mainly of the failing variety, hence the status quo). I never really seem to have a problem with going a period of time without smoking (like family vacations and such activities), I've been able to stop for weeks at a time, but eventually I just want to do it.

I currently have no cigarettes of my own, with only my girlfriends in the house (she said I could have one, but I of course am resisting the temptation with the help of my new attentive audience). Although as I said before, it isn't really the main reason why I have chosen to take up diving, the thought of not having to worry about my lungs exploding while underwater is really quite the surprising motivator.

Any thoughts. . ? words of encouragement . . ? suggestions . . . ? Anyone out there able to honestly only smoke occasionally?

From what I gather this isn't the type of thread usually up in this section, if it would be best suited elsewhere that is cool, just the late night ramblings of a nicotine fiending weirdo that can't wait to start his diving career.

*****Don't let this be me!******

Attachments

• kramer_hideous.jpg
    kramer_hideous.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
There are few things you can do that will enhance the rest of your life more than the changes you are making.

Good luck in kicking the habit and replacing it with a new one. Diving is habit forming too. :)

Pete

i am not a smoker, but applaude you for your motivation to quit. good luck with this and i hope you can do it this time

Current addicted diver and former addicted smoker here.

Bravo! You've quit, and now you're in the maintenance period. The urge will decline, become less frequent, and eventually disappear. Stick with it.

Everybody is different, but I found it helped me to also remind myself of some of the minor benefits like fewer cigarette burns in my clothes, not having to empty ashtrays, etc.

As you'll learn in your course, how deep you dive depends on other factors than whether you're a smoker; but you're correct that being a non-smoking diver (or a non-smoking anything) is so much better than being a smoking diver.

And it's tough to keep cigarettes lit underwater.

Too bad there isn't a system similar to AA that pairs you with a friend you can call if you get the urge. It appears you've invented something similar by typing here on ScubaBoard. Type away!

best wishes,

k

You can do this. I quit over 30 years ago and have watched people try with varying degrees of success over the years. I am convinced the only way to do it is Cold Turkey. Just don't pick them up again. My wife was also a smoker when I quit. She smoked for about another year after I quit and we have been smoke free since.

Good Luck

Another big motivation for quiting - your air consumption rate will be better with better lung function. So that means you will use your tank of air more efficiently and be able to stay down longer, thus getting more money's worth on your dives. :D

oh, and welcome to the other addiction!

robin:D

It's entirely possible. It's a mental game. It's hard for some than it is for others, but you CAN do it. I smoked from 19 to 21 (im 27 now) and one day I just put it down and never picked it back up.

I find that having a hobby like diving (that requires one to be in good health) often helps me avoid unhealthy activities. I'm not a smoker, but I am somewhat of a partyer. I find in my case that my wanting to dive supersedes all else - which I like. Many of my other hobbies don't require that I not be hungover or dehydrated. :)

I quit about 30 years ago when I got strep throat. I'm not big on going to doctors so I stayed in bed for 3 or 4 days and, as I would need a doctor's note to return to work, I went in and got some antibiotics. I never smoked again.

The first 10 years or so were the worst. I had been smoking a couple of packs a day for more than 20 years. The fact that it is impossible to smoke in a workplace and in most public places is a help. You just need to stay away from places and activities where smoking is allowed.

Keep after it. You can quit.

Richard

congratulations!

I quit almost 4 months ago, I'm sure you can too! If you can stop for family vacations, then you can stop for good. My big thing was that my ex had me smoking every time we got into the car, so if i was driving i was just so...bored(?) without a cigarette. I had wanted to quit smoking, and I too did not smoke on family vacations (that were not more than a week or 2 normally). I had been smoking for 5 years.

I went to the beach with my mother and decided that i wouldn't (or shouldn't ) be under a lot of stress to encourage me to smoke, and i wouldn't be driving too much that week either. My mother still chain smoked the entire time we were there, and when we drove together too.

Within that week i noticed that when swimming I could hold my breath a significantly longer amount of time than normal (almost 2 minutes, though i never really timed myself before i quit, but it was probably closer to a minute, maybe a minute 10 seconds?)

The first week back at work and school was a little tough. Being stressed, seeing coworkers smoke, being stuck in traffic, etc was really tempting. But I tell you, I am very proud of myself for holding out. After about a month I was surprised that I rarely thought about it at all, unless i was in the car with someone who smoked.

Now the only time i think about it briefly is if I am at school and walk by some smokers, or (this is odd) smell someone's lighter/match.

Be confidant, you can do it! And you will feel so much better!

I am not a smoker and never have been. However, my father quit cold turkey from 5 packs a day for 20 years. This was in 1988.

I hope you succeed. As previously stated this is probably one of the best things you can do for for your health, not to mention your wallet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom