4 days to OW Certification, do I need a smoke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is nothing more you can do to improve your life than stop smoking. They are horrible for your body. They weaken your immune system. Have you thought about one of the electronic cigarettes? They still give you the nicotine but you do not get a lot of the worst stuff like the tar you get when you smoke tobacco cigarettes. I am a chiropractor. Part of my education was in a cadaver lab. We had to work on about 20 different cadavers. I can tell you the cadavers that smoked were obvious. Their lungs were black because of the tar. Also the people that smoked died on average younger than the ones that did not smoke. I know this is no surprise. All the research out there states this same fact.

I have been able to get a few of my patients to try the electronic cigarettes and they say that they really enjoy it. They feel satisfied. They say that when they get a nicotine craving......... the electronic cigarette does the trick.

Just a thought. And definetly.........GOOD LUCK!

Karl

First off, I'm sorry it took a while to get back on and post, had a pretty hectic few days and just couldn't devote the time it deserved. I sincerely appreciate all of the encouragement and advice. I'm glad to say that I completed my OW certification this weekend and had a blast in doing so (I may post about it eventually). The fight is still going with the smokes, I ended up having a few over the weekend (but this is a dramatic cutback from where I was just a week ago), I had one after I got back from my dive Saturday and before bed, repeated the next day . . . I think I'll get there if I keep trying. As much as I'd love to go the "just dropping it and never looking back" approach, the temptation/craving ends up being far too strong. I'm fairly certain that quitting for good will take some type of aid, but that is about all I feel I can talk about it without feeling like a disappointment, I'm going to keep at it and next time I post about that particular topic, it will be once I'm done for good. Your guys' support will be remembered and is much appreciated, felt I should respond to a few directly:

Former smoker for almost 20 years, yes it's tough, and tougher with a wife/GF who still smokes but good luck and I hope you are successful in quitting. If you think smoking is expensive...wait until you get certified and start hanging around divers and getting gear envy....you'll pine for those days of $4 a day smoking habbit.
Understood, I'm already pretty set up as far as gear goes though so that part is already behind me. Not buying cigarettes would definitely open up room to save up for trips. . . and being in FL it seems like there are lots of opportunities close by.

I quit smoking nearly 4 years ago, At the time I quitted smoking, I was going thru one pack or more per day and my Girlfriend smoked almost as much as I did, so YES, it's possible to stop smoking, at that time I also used to dive every two or three months and I never felt anything wrong (I even smoked during the Surface Intervals), But I can tell you that you'll be able to consume less air and last longer underwater if you stop smoking.

As you say, I really enjoyed smoking, it was more than a vice to me, it was a real pleassure, but as for your question about a ocasional smoke. I'm almost sure (I'd say about 95%) that if I'm able to smoke ocasionally without it meaning that i'll be a full time smoker again, but notice that I said I was 95% sure, that means that there is some chance that if I smoke only one cigarrete, I'll be hooked up again, that's why i've never smoke again sonce I dropped it.

So my advice would be, take the strength necesary, drop it at once (gradually never worked for me), enjoy your dives and never smoke again.
I feel you on this one, I worry that I'll end up saying I'll only smoke when I drink (not very often) or after a good meal or good . . . whatever. . . is just a slippery slope . . . although I'm sure there is probably something to be said for smoking a pack a week is somewhat if not significantly better than smoking a pack a day. Still, I'd like to get to where I'm done for good, thanks for the encouragement. Nice to see that it's possible to be a smoker and not die of a horrific smoking related diving accident, but quitting seems to be the better odds of survival.

It seems apropos that this be my first post to SB. Diving came into my life when I was struggling with getting clean from a different addiction. My first breath underwater 3 years ago was a revelation to me, and I realized that I could not ever be high and do this sport. I still smoked, though....

I had sinus surgery 3 weeks ago, and was advised that quitting would decrease the amount of time to heal, and get me back in the water faster. I decided that this was the time. I bought a box of Nicorette gum, and resolved to not just pay lip service to quitting, but would actually try. (I tried about 10 years go, but it was a half-assed attempt.)

In the last 3 weeks, I have smoked 2 1/2 cigarettes. Unfortunately, they tasted incredible. :doh: So I guess that means I'm not allowed to have any ever again. I've smoked for close to 20 years, and enjoyed every cigarette along the way. But, like the other drugs I quit, they're a hindrance to my diving. I find that even though I have good air consumption, it could be better, and I find myself susceptible to CO2 loading-perhaps my lungs don't exchange the gases as well as they should.

I've got 3-5 more weeks before I'm cleared to dive, and I'm looking forward to trying it with some increased lung function.

Hang in there-it sucks now, and most likely will continue to suck for awhile, but as I keep hearing, it can be done.
This is very inspirational and I admire your commitment and openness. I hope we can both kick the smokes for good.

I have read several interesting articles dealing with this issue recently, and I think I can pass along two items I learned that really struck me.

First of all, the degree to which you are addicted and will be able to quit seems to depend to a surprising degree on heredity. Studies have shown that children of smokers are more likely to be smokers than the general population, and it was always assumed that this was mostly because of the influence of growing up in that atmosphere. More recent studies, though, have shown that adopted children of smokers are no more likely to be smokers than the general population. Since the vast majority of people at least try smoking at some point, this indicates that for biological reasons, some people find it easier to quit than others. Some people can indeed quit cold turkey and walk away easily, but for others that is impossible.

Next, Time magazine had a cover story on addiction a couple of years ago that indicated that all addictions, from heroin to shopping, have the same brain reactions associated with that addiction. That is, the same areas of the brain light up when "tempted," and the same procedures for breaking the habit seem to work. The process of quitting can be followed by seeing how the brain reacts to temptation.

A key point in the article was that 90 days seems to be a critical point in breaking a habit, and rehab processes that fall short of that are unlikely to work. It does not mean that you can be cured in 90 days, but it indicates that after 90 days you should be in a much better mental condition to continue the cure.

The author of the cover story was an alcoholic, but had been sober for 25 (I think) years. When tempted with his formerly favorite alcoholic beverage, his brain lit up in the way a non-alcoholic's would. According to those results, he was cured--but he was not going to chance it.

You can also read Eric Clapton's recent autobiography for a fascinating look at addiction. He does not hide anything about his own struggles, first with heroin and then with alcohol.
Great information . . . . I'm going to start looking into what if any kind of stop smoking treatment might be covered by my health insurance. I'm really intrigued with the hypnosis method. Also, I was under the impression that Clapton's problem was with cocaine . . . heroin makes more sense with the severity of his addiction though. I'm actually a big fan and have both of the Crossroads guitar festival DVD's which are very inspirational about addiction.

An entirely different perspective:

A diver came with us on a vacation week in paradise.

After the first day, he complained of symptoms that led the DM's to put him on Oxygen and run him over for a visit with the chamber doctor.

It turns out that he decided to quite cigarettes and coffee cold turkey as he began his vacation week, unbeknownst to us.

Here's what scuba expert Lloyd Bridges has to say on that matter: YouTube - Airplane!

By all means, quit. But... remember that this act might cause some side effects that are unpleasant and may be easily misdiagnosed while engaged in diving.

Just something to remember.
Wow. . . . never even considered that quitting could have any type of negative complications . . . I'm not really sure how that would work . . do you have any more information on this? Was this an article you saw or a personal experience?

Greetings Cosmo and welcome aboard! Hang in there buddy I wish I lived closer so I could cheer you on. I quit for good back in 2002 or 03 can not remember for sure thank God! What I have to say is that it finally took wanting something more to make me stick to it. I had tried several times before and actually took up smokeless to quit smoking. BAD IDEA....I had to start smoking again to quit that. I loved to smoke but knew it was killing me slowly. Like I said it took wanting something else more to finally put it to rest. It was very interesting for a few months, drink lots of water and start exercising every day. Use the water and exercise to fight the urge and stay out of smoky bars etc. that will not help either. Trust me on that one.
The healthy life style that diving encourages is addictive in its own way and can provide a outlet in times of crazy craves. But it has been years for me now and I still about every couple of years get the urge. It is manageable and I would not trade it for anything, it helps me to remember why I quit!
Keep at it and feel free to PM me anytime! Hang tough Cosmo!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!
Really encouraging . . . I'm not the motivated type but it helps to hear these success stories. Really appreciate the post.

Cramer, I am a former smoker. I quit 5 years ago after smoking for the better part of 15 years. It's not easy. I had quit once when I was 17, but that only lasted 2 years. Then when I was 28, I woke up one morning with sharp pains just under my right shoulder. I couldn't breathe without feeling someone was stabbing me with a hundred knives. I spent a week in the hospital before the doctors diagnosed me with a type of pneumonia people on respitators usually get, not healthy, active 28 year olds. For me it was a wake up call. I knew it was my grandmother telling me to quit. She had passed away 2 years prior (almost to the day that I became ill actually) from the same type of pneumonia in the exact same spot after years of smoking related illnesses. Since then, I have watched my other gramdmother die from smoking related illnesses.

It wont be easy since your GF smokes. If she smokes inside, ask her to go outside.If she is not interested in quitting now, maybe your example will inspire her. If you really want to quit, you can do it. I have a few tricks to keep me on track. I keep an unopened pack of cigarettes in my closet. As long as I know they are there if I really need, them, I am able to resist them. That, and every time I think of lighting up, I think of sitting next to my grandmothers' hospital beds, talking to them hoping they hear me because they were in a drug induced coma to help manage the pain.

When I first quit, I did it for everyone else. My husband, my family, my grandmother. I didn't want them to be dissapointed in me for lighting up after I was released from the hospital. Although I miss smoking (I really enjoyed it), I don't miss smelling like an ashtray, or sitting outside smoking while my family and friends are enjoying each other's company inside.

I guess I am trying to say is find your reason to quit and do it. If you really want to do it, then DO IT! Talk is cheap. The longer you wait, your resolve will deminish and it will be that much harder to do.
Wow . . . that is scary. Were you an active diver at the time you had this incident? You are right about needing to do it as soon as possible as it will only get harder, all of these great responses are really helping me feel motivated.

You could try the replacement method. Every time you get the urge to somke, go put on your SCUBA rig (all of it) and go jump in the nearest mud puddle.

You might want to get a nitrox cert so you can bump up the O2 a bit.

Or, you can just quit the way my first wife did on January 2, 1999 at 4:36 pm.
Interesting about the nitrox, wasn't sure if you were just joking that it would be best for smokers lungs to get some direct oxygen. Is there a reason aside from increased bottom times that make nitrox use beneficial?

I think you get the idea, smoking and diving is like asking if I need to add a 30 lb weight belt before a marathon. You knew the answer before you posted it.

I personally was in the same boat unfortunately, it's a very nasty habit and guess what? It shortens your life. I'm not sure if they still prescribe it but Wellbutrin (sp?) is what helped me quit. Oral med.

I think once you get down to depth, look up see and the beauty, see that the smoking is hindering your breathing and enjoyment of the dive, your decison will be made to quit for good. Continuing to smoke will only hinder your diving progression.

Relax, you'll do fine on your OW so post us when your're certified!! which should have been today??? You posted Nov 4th
Thanks for the post. I'm a little hesitant to go with an aid such as Wellbutrin or Chantix as I've heard that the mood altering side effects can be an issue. My cousin tried quitting with Chantix, and while he said that it did indeed make it to where he didn't want to smoke, that it plateaued off his emotions (never felt strongly happy or sad or emotional). I'm unemotional enough as it is, if it made me more so I'd have to advertise myself as "pet rock seeking diving buddy"

Thanks again everyone, if I have some more luck I'll post about it soon . . otherwise I'm going strictly diving only discussions from here on out. Don't want to get banned for turning the board into a Nicotinaholics Anonymous forum in my first week.

-Joe

I'm unemotional enough as it is, if it made me more so I'd have to advertise myself as "pet rock seeking diving buddy"

Thanks funny right there....going from where you were tio that is fantastic. The "cravings" are the nicotine withdrawls from your body craving it. Another thing I did, kind of Karmer like is put a consecutive ring around each smoke with a red pen, starting at the bottom. Smoke one down to the lowest point, then progress up to the one with the least, towards the end.

Pretty soon you'll just throw out a full pack after one and say...."what was I thinking".......enjoy your new sport and let us know when you quit for good, we'll support you.

PS -the meds didn't have an effect such as pain meds, rather they make the smokes tastes like air so you end up saying, "what's the point"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom