Tecline Backplate and 22kg Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Todd Kurth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All,

I have Tecline DIR setup with the 22 Donut Special Edition wing, that I have been using for quite a while with double steel LP 85s. I am wondering if there is a rule of thumb for the positions used? i.e. There are two positions on the Wing and 3 on the backplate.

With the backplate in the middle position and the wing further towards my tail it seems I'm a bit head heavy. I think this is preventing me from comfortably staying horizontal.

I have the Halcyon weight pouch between my tanks and I think I'm a little overweighted with 11 lbs, and a drysuit. I have the tank bands all the way up to the shoulder of the tanks.

The question is: Apart from being able to reach my valves, is there a good reason to leave the backplate in the middle position? Opting to shift weight more to the tail?

Likewise, is there a reason not to shift the wing up towards my head?

Any suggestions or rules of thumb are greatly appreciated as I try to get things dialed in!

It's a 2-step process to really get it dialed:
1. With a nearly empty tank, move lead around until balanced.
2. With a full tank, move the wing until balanced. (This positions the wing center of buoyancy over the gas center of mass so they're well balanced no matter the amount.)

I think I'm a little overweighted with 11 lbs, and a drysuit
Step 0 would be to figure out the total lead required to be neutral with minimal air in tanks, wing, and suit. Evaluate when in trim (even if only temporarily), since suit gas movement can abnormally increase buoyancy.

Step 0 would be to figure out the total lead required to be neutral with minimal air in tanks, wing, and suit. Evaluate when in trim (even if only temporarily), since suit gas movement can abnormally increase buoyancy.
So I've dove a bunch of diving in the last couple weeks. I've moved all my weight to the tail on the crotch strap above the D-ring. It helps a ton. I have enough slop in my straps to allow me easy access to the valves without it moving around. This seems to work really well but I find it odd that I don't see a lot online of people referring to the need of doing this. Any thoughts on this? And I got my weight down to 8 lbs now. Techline Powerjet fins versus Apex RK3 (not HD) seems to make a big difference also. But my Techline fins have huge foot pockets that are a bit big for the soft boots on my drysuit. Think I need to get a set of Scubapro jet fins that are more negatively buoyant...

People like to keep their air nice and close and tight
and restricting blood flow and full arm articulation due to tight straps is not fully appreciated
Single tankers don't need to manipulate their valves

????? Huh!

This dude is a real dude

Back straight head up

Screenshot (1035).png

Eveyone should have a stick

Screenshot (1036).png

The higher the tanks the further away they are

I have the tank bands all the way up to the shoulder of the tanks.

Yes this is where they must live, otherwise bands down tanks up

People like to keep their air nice and close and tight
and restricting blood flow and full arm articulation due to tight straps is not fully appreciated
Single tankers don't need to manipulate their valves

????? Huh!

This dude is a real dude

Back straight head up

View attachment 840860

Eveyone should have a stick

View attachment 840862

The higher the tanks the further away they are

Yes this is where they must live, otherwise bands down tanks Thanks! That is amazing buoyancy control. That's my goal 😀.
Thanks! That's amazing buoyancy control and finning. That's where I want to get to. Diving doubles but no matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom