4 dives in 1 afternoon Ok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cl1115

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have my open water cert and has done about 10 dives total. For all my logged dives, i would go on 2 tank trips which doesn't need planning, so I never got to apply my PADI dive planner/chart reading skills.

For this weekend, I plan on doing:
-Two tank dive at 1:30pm, followed by
-Two tank dive at 6:00pm

Is that too much diving for 1 day? The second dive is a night dive which is why I'm trying to squeeze it in. Also, are night dives beyond my skill level?

Thanks!

As long as you don't hit the no-decompression-limit, you can dive all you want.

Is night dive beyond your skill level? Probably not, but what's the site? Is it shallow, is it deep? Current, waves, surges? Easy entry and exit? Who's your dive partner? What's his/her experience?

BTW, what do you mean that your previous 2-tanks trips don't require planning? How then do you know that you're not hitting NDL?

If you're nervous, then it might well be beyond your skill level.

As you will recall from your OW class, how much is "too much" depends on a lot of variables. Depth, bottom time, surface interval, water temp, etc... sound familiar? :)

Thanks for the quick reply,
I'm more of a vacation/recreational diver, so i just go with a divemaster. Jump in, get out, go back to the gf whom i left at the hotel :D.
The dives I plan on doing are all 30 ft, probably around 30-40 minutes. I've never done a night dive before and would really like to try, but i do hear seasoned divers complaining about beginner going beyond their skill level. Just wanna make sure I'm not one of those over confident dummies :wink:

Another thing to consider is that you might be physically exhausted by the time you get to the fourth dive, especially as a relatively new diver or if the conditions are a bit more demanding. You might be tired enough that you don't particularly enjoy the last dive. OTOH, if the water is gin-warm and you're basically floating effortlessly the whole time, this might not be as much of an issue. You should ask yourself whether the conditions are somewhat similar to what you've dealt with before and how you felt at the end of your two-dive days.

I don't think I'd plan to go into my first night dive already exhausted. It's another change in environment, and depending on your skill level, might mean there are a few too many things to deal with, and that you have to work too hard mentally to keep up with all of them when tired.

Hey guys,
I have my open water cert and has done about 10 dives total. For all my logged dives, i would go on 2 tank trips which doesn't need planning, so I never got to apply my PADI dive planner/chart reading skills.

Is that too much diving for 1 day? The second dive is a night dive which is why I'm trying to squeeze it in. Also, are night dives beyond my skill level?

As long as you don't exceed the no-deco limit on your tables or computer (whichever you're using), you can dive as much as you want.

On the other hand, diving is generally stressful for new divers (physically, mentally and thermally) and you're probably going to be tired and cold by the time you finish dive #3 and won't even want #4.

I'd be willing to bet that if you do all four dives, you'll take a nap at about 10pm and won't be up much before lunch the next day.

Terry

bleeb and web monkey, thanks for bringing up the fatigue factor, I didn't even think about that. Sounds like I should be saving the night dive for next time.

Hey guys,

Thanks!

To answer your questions, the following should be considered:
How deep? Duration of Dives? Water temperature?Your physical condition? When was your last dive?
Some questions you should ask yourself:
1) Am I comfortable in the area that I am diving?
2) Am I comfortable with the depths that I will be diving?
3) How's the visibility?
4) Am I anxious about the night dive?
Will it be a supervised dive?
Am I familiar with my dive buddy? Am I comfortable with him/her?
IF Unduly anxious; then it might be beyond your current skill level...you must answer this one for yourself.

Thanks for the quick reply,
I'm more of a vacation/recreational diver, so i just go with a divemaster. Jump in, get out, go back to the gf whom i left at the hotel :D.
The dives I plan on doing are all 30 ft, probably around 30-40 minutes. I've never done a night dive before and would really like to try, but i do hear seasoned divers complaining about beginner going beyond their skill level. Just wanna make sure I'm not one of those over confident dummies :wink:

Fatigue is always a big factor...4 dives isn't just a stroll...but is it POSSIBLE to do what you plan? Sure, as long as your tables allow for it. Work out your tables with the DM and make sure that you don't exceed your limits.

You are apparently still a basic open water certified diver that is doing what some people in your limited experience (and apparent long intervals between dives since you said you are a vacation/recreational diver) SHOULD do,which is diving with someone that knows (theoretically) what they are doing, and can make sure you can come back from the dive....at this point it's PROBABLY good to start taking charge of your own diving (working out your tables and planning your dives) Letting a DM do the thinking for you isn't a good idea, and you SHOULD start taking responsibility for your own butt in the water.

As far as the night dive? If you are going with a DM then it's probably not a huge deal..I wouldn't recommend doing a night dive with someone of similar limited experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom