4-Skills Every Advanced Open Water (AOW) Diver Must Have

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this is less AOW and more Fundies-light. At least the mentioned skills ("basic 5" etc) appear to be taken from there.

Cool video, I still have not learned to back kick. Is that a required skill of aow certification, now?

No, not required in AOW but I include it in the course. It's not a pass/fail item but my students should at least know the fundamentals and through deliberate practice, they'll eventually get it. Too many divers push on the corals (damaging them) with their hand or use a pointer stick to move back . Frog Kick and Flutter Modified are taught in OW.

No, not required in AOW but I include it in the course. It's not a pass/fail item but my students should at least know the fundamentals and through deliberate practice, they'll eventually get it. Too many divers push on the corals (damaging them) with their hand or use a pointer stick to move back . Frog Kick and Flutter Modified are taught in OW.
What else in your video is not required but you teach it anyway?

It's not a pass/fail item but my students should at least know the fundamentals and through deliberate practice, they'll eventually get it.
I would assume you tell them it's not a part of the course, right?

What else in your video is not required but you teach it anyway?

Hi, None of the skills, in the format seen in the video, are explicitly required for AOW certification. However, I choose to teach them in my AOW course due to their significant benefits. Students do not have to demonstrate ability to perform these skills in order to pass the course. One exception — if they are not able to do the core OW skills (eg Mask Clearing, Reg Recovery, etc) in any format - yes, you'll be surprised -- I’ll work with them on those core skills first.

- Stable Platform - Horizontal Trim: Horizontal trim is a key component of a stable platform, which improves buoyancy control and minimizes environmental impact. While not an explicit AOW requirement, practicing horizontal trim aligns with the emphasis on buoyancy control in the PPB segment of the AOW course.

- Reverse Kick: Not an AOW requirement however this kick minimizes environmental impact and helps maintain stability, making it a valuable skill for divers concerned about coral reef conservation and diving in challenging environments.

- DSMB Mid-Water: Deploying a DSMB in mid-water is not an AOW requirement. However it is a valuable skill for divers venturing into open water environments, especially those who participate in liveaboard trips.

- Basic 5 Drill: While not formally assessed in the AOW course, practicing core OW skills (reg removal/replacement, reg recovery, reg swap to backup, mask removal/replacement, share air) in this format (Neutral Buoyancy + Horizontal Trim + Continuous Drill) reinforces critical skills, promotes safety, and prepares divers for challenging situations.

In my view, I think these are the 4 Must Have skills for any AOW diver.

I hope this helps!

Cool video, I still have not learned to back kick. Is that a required skill of aow certification, now?
I can't frog-kick or back kick. My fins may be part of the problem, though I can't be too sure.

It wasn't a required skill for my AOW, however, it would be nice if they taught it.

Lerning looks good feels good is good, the semanticals provide nothing of no concern

great video

More better than listening to a monotone drone drawing stick figures on a whiteboard

- DSMB Mid-Water: Deploying a DSMB in mid-water is not an AOW requirement. However it is a valuable skill for divers venturing into open water environments, especially those who participate in liveaboard trips.
This is a mandatory part of BSAC’s Advanced Ocean Diver course.

Frankly, to me that reg recovery was scary.
I say do away with the arm sweep method; instead, "necklace" your alternate - if you lose your main, just dip down and use the alternate, then take your time recovering your main. For newer divers who may tend to panic, this is a much safer alternative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom