40 inch primary hose swivel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used both 70 & 90 with the 40" miflex house routed under my arm.

Much preferred the 90, but eventually moved to the 7'.

I've tried them all and settled on the 70. I use ones from DGX and a couple of Kirby Morgan ones, the KM ones are a little more robust in construction. Over the years I've only had one ever give me trouble, an O ring gone bad, DGX model, replaced O ring and was back in business.

I had a new ball swivel fail in shallow water which sucked. Then I switched to a non-swivel street ell (70 degree?) on a 5' hose under the arm and around the neck which was perfect, then I switched to 7'/ no swivel. The 5' with bend was the most streamlined and comfortable with a single tank.

When I was using a 5' hose I too found using with a 70 very comfortable.

I found the 70 or 110, depending on how the description reads, to work better for me. However, I didn't toss the 90's, I just use them on regs I don't use as often.

Bob

Do you use a 70 degree or a 90 degree swivel adapter or a 360 degree OmniSwivel on your 40 inch primary regulator hose, routed under your arm? I'd be particularly interested to hear from divers who have tried more than one.

Yes, I moved from a 5 ft around the neck hose to a 40 inch under the arm with a 90 degree elbow. I like it but decided to try the 70 degree elbow which I find just a little more comfortable.

I've had a 40" hose, routed under my right arm, on my single tank reg set since I started diving (2.5 years ago). I had a 70 degree elbow on that for most of that time and liked it just fine.

I have a 7' hose on my doubles reg set (which I've been using for almost 2 years). I had no elbow on that for a while. The hose wasn't quite long enough for me, so I added a 70 degree hose to that. Letting the hose come straight back from the side of my mouth past my ear, instead of extending out to the right and doing a 180 degree turn to go from my mouth to the back of my neck added just the right amount of extra effective length. I also liked that just fine.

I changed my 7' hose over to the CA swivel a couple of months ago and like it even better. So much so that I ordered another swivel and changed my single tank reg set, too.

To me, the difference isn't something I notice when the reg is in my mouth. It's about the angle of the reg to the hose when it's out of my mouth. Mostly, when I clip it off to a chest D-ring. My OCD is much happier when the reg can be clipped off and it and the hose hang straight down, instead of having a 90(-ish) degree angle between them. Also if I'm air-sharing and the recipient can hold the reg in their mouth with the hose going straight through their hand, instead of having to hold their hand over the purge or some other awkward position to keep it in their mouth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom