40 years later...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! Congratulations and a happy anniversary. I am jealous. I was certified in 85 and wish I had stuck with it more than I have and have lost all of my logs over the years. I'm glad to be getting back into it though and stories like yours are one of the reasons that I joined this forum!
Again, congrats and thanks for the post!

Congratulations Stoo! I suspect that we've run into one another from time to time. I was trained by the Underwater Club of Canada (Hart House) in Toronto (1965). I became a Navy Diver and was assigned to DCIEM as the Diving Officer from 1972 - 1980. I taught at Seneca part time and helped Dr. George Harpur with the Tobermory decompression chamber in 1975.

Congratulations on a milestone Stoo. What a great sport and pastime.

Hope you can make another 40!!!

Thanks Blink... I doubt I will, but it's good to have goals...

It's funny (and a bit depressing) that when I ponder buying some new piece of gear, I find myself qualifying the discussion with thoughts like, "Ya, but how many more years I am actually going to be doing this???" But then I answer myself... a long time, I hope. I needed a new drysuit last year and hemmed and hawed about buying another trusty Viking... heavy duty, last forever, expensive... or some cheapie throwaway suit that lasts 3 years, but that I can get for $750! (I went with another Viking).

Forty more years is unlikely, but , but I sure hope to get another 20... at least in warm southern waters... and at least 10 here.

Thanks Blink... I doubt I will, but it's good to have goals...

It's funny (and a bit depressing) that when I ponder buying some new piece of gear, I find myself qualifying the discussion with thoughts like, "Ya, but how many more years I am actually going to be doing this???" But then I answer myself... a long time, I hope. I needed a new drysuit last year and hemmed and hawed about buying another trusty Viking... heavy duty, last forever, expensive... or some cheapie throwaway suit that lasts 3 years, but that I can get for $750! (I went with another Viking).

Forty more years is unlikely, but , but I sure hope to get another 20... at least in warm southern waters... and at least 10 here.

I hear ya! I just bought a new mask the old one was 20 years old and started to develop a black mold in the nose pocket. I'm pretty sure it'll be the last mask I buy! We have a lot more diving behind us than ahead of us.

I hear ya! I just bought a new mask the old one was 20 years old and started to develop a black mold in the nose pocket. I'm pretty sure it'll be the last mask I buy! We have a lot more diving behind us than ahead of us.

Depressing thought isn't it. I sometimes think that 40 years and 5000 dives is a good place to stop and take up something else. We're planning next year's winter vacation, and I'm considering surfing camp in Nicaragua... Always wanted to learn to surf. I love skiing too and I keep thinking that surfing is a bit like skiing and diving rolled into one!

But I doubt we'll book... I really think I would miss diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom